Welfare

lordie

As far as teaching men to fish, it has long been established that it is fairly difficult to teach someone who is starving. So while giving a man a fish might not be a good long term solution to his hunger, it might be a necessary component of one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as teaching men to fish, it has long been established that it is fairly difficult to teach someone who is starving. So while giving a man a fish might not be a good long term solution to his hunger, it might be a necessary component of one.

ding ding ding! Bingo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have nothing.

live in familys old house. get 300.00 a month in a trust from dead parent.

cant work or afford doctors or medications.

they tell me I dont quailify for food stamps or medical help.

if I was from another country and had 14 kids I would be living like a king.

I am pretty darn sure that lordie is right, BpCorey.

I think that if you have been "turned down" for food stamps OR Medicaid coverage that you need to seek a local advocate for the rights of the poor. I cannot IMAGINE how you manage to survive on only $300 per month (free abode, or no free abode).

Edited by Bro. Hex

• 4 weeks later...

So many opinions, and somehow I agree with them all. I would like to add that in my opinion, education is the best way to combat these situations. I believe that if a mind is tested, it is less likely to become stagnant. The are and always will be people who abuse the system. If they are educated and still abuse the system, at least we can say they know better!

So many opinions, and somehow I agree with them all. I would like to add that in my opinion, education is the best way to combat these situations. I believe that if a mind is tested, it is less likely to become stagnant. The are and always will be people who abuse the system. If they are educated and still abuse the system, at least we can say they know better!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just got done look at the news wheel on a social network site were they had about foodstamps and a iphone

I thought well so what someone on foodstamps has an iphone no big deal they aint that expensive . And so i read the comments unbelievable the hatred towards people on welfare and foodstamps . It turned my stomache . As religious people we shouldnt make fun of any one esp one that is different than us .

So i posted a comment

You dont know someone until you walk a mile in their shoes !!

I thought well it might stop the picking i guess i wasnt the only one who thought that some other people did too . My personal belief is dont judge because someday it might be you

Lordie

Make fun of them? Of course not.

Discourage dependent behavior? Of course!

Eliminate welfare for all but the most dire? An obligation!!!!!

But know this, welfare is not a hand-out, it is a payment for votes. The politicians who expand such social programs are motivated by nothing more than that. Take it to the bank.....

When Human beings get something, they have a tendency to replicate the circumstances that they were in when they got something. When you give something to someone when they are sabotaging their own life they will continue to do so. This makes the gift giver a bad person. If you give a gift only when a person is making their life better then you are really helping them. So a gift can help or it can hurt. I am opposed to gifts that hurt and do not help. Therefore any gift should only follow a persons advancement, and should not be given before that advancement. The end goal should not only be end of gifts, it should also be the active participation of the person who has received gifts to not only repay his gifts but also contributing in helping others

I have a garden, and squirrels started eating my tomatoes. To get the to stop, I started bribing them with nuts, and picking my tomatoes earlier (they did not like them green). Anyway, they are now at my door everyday and I doubt they hunt for food as much as they used to. If I had stopped feeding them they would all have died this winter. They are now dependent an me. This is why they have signs up in parks about not feeding animals. It is not because feeding them makes them sick. It is because feeding them stops them from feeding themselves, and places them closer to death. This is why charity should be administered sparingly. It is not cruel it is a kindness.

I would also add that coarse words on this topic are not directed at the needy but toward those who would tug at heart strings to use the needy as a reason to steal from others out of personal greed or envy. Which is a despicable act because it side tracks charity from the poor to its own pockets.

When Human beings get something, they have a tendency to replicate the circumstances that they were in when they got something. When you give something to someone when they are sabotaging their own life they will continue to do so. This makes the gift giver a bad person. If you give a gift only when a person is making their life better then you are really helping them. So a gift can help or it can hurt. I am opposed to gifts that hurt and do not help. Therefore any gift should only follow a persons advancement, and should not be given before that advancement. The end goal should not only be end of gifts, it should also be the active participation of the person who has received gifts to not only repay his gifts but also contributing in helping others

I have a garden, and squirrels started eating my tomatoes. To get the to stop, I started bribing them with nuts, and picking my tomatoes earlier (they did not like them green). Anyway, they are now at my door everyday and I doubt they hunt for food as much as they used to. If I had stopped feeding them they would all have died this winter. They are now dependent an me. This is why they have signs up in parks about not feeding animals. It is not because feeding them makes them sick. It is because feeding them stops them from feeding themselves, and places them closer to death. This is why charity should be administered sparingly. It is not cruel it is a kindness.

I would also add that coarse words on this topic are not directed at the needy but toward those who would tug at heart strings to use the needy as a reason to steal from others out of personal greed or envy. Which is a despicable act because it side tracks charity from the poor to its own pockets.

those squirrels are not dependent upon you. They are making reasoned decisions about investment of time and energy vs pay out. They are extorting you.

• Amulet locked this topic