Women Preachers

lordie

I wrote a subject on this on open pulpit

But i assume you all might like it here

Women preachers there many thoughts on this my own bro is one he does not believe in women preachers . But i do as a women . I think people should be more open minded when it comes to this but we are only human .

Women preachers are pick on and made fun of why i have no clue but i do know is these people who pick on us women preachers they will have to answer to our boss jesus christ

And i think we should read the bible and our history about women preachers some people might be surprised

Lordie

My religion includes female priestesses from various age groups, with some as young as seven years of age. Their role is to maintain the temple and/or sanctuary and perform certain ritual functions related to whichever specific cult they serve.

Edited by LeopardBoy

I think men and women can both bring much to the pulpit as it were. I am terribly suspicious of religions that do not include women in worship or in positions of leadership and don't quite understand why a woman would want to be part of them...

The closest thing to a "reason" I have ever been given for the church stance against women in the pulpit was that it was based on Paul's writings that women should keep silence in church. Well, it then begs the question: do we follow the teachings of Paul, or should we allow women to answer their call to serve the Lord. You can put me in the column for service to the Lord. I have had the joy and privilege of knowing many women who could preach and were experts that many male clergy turned to as advisors, as teachers, and as preachers. I stood up and fought, almost to the point of my own excommunication, for the first female bishop to be ordained in Massachusetts. It was an honor to serve with bishop Harris as my district bishop, and to hear her preach a sermon was to take a walk with Jesus beside you.

The church where I currently worship does not allow women to preach in the pulpit, but they are at least coming to a point where they do recognize the importance of allowing women to answer their call to service, and they do have women's ministry, mission work, and conferences specifically for women at the national headquarters. They have a beautiful conference center and possibly 3 out of every 5 items on the conference calendar is specifically for women. I am pleased that women are given respect, even polite deference. I hope to see a day where that progresses to allowing them a rightful place in the sanctuary.

I will say with joy that my particular church has a very, very strong women's ministry, and the wives of the elders serve in roles as vital as their husbands. While not allowed to preach from the pulpit, they are allowed to testify and teach at church suppers, in the field, in the fellowship hall, and so on. These are the ones who make most of the house calls, and keep the church operating well. Our church allows them to use the pulpit to read scripture and lead prayer, and two elder's wives sing in our worship team (some churches call that a choir). More than three quarters of our music has direct references to scripture (not by accident), so it allows these vital members of the church a way to teach within the denominational lines. When they speak, they speak well and with knowledge. They are as wise and as learned as the males, and I am certain that if they were given the opportunities to attend seminary and seek the training afforded their male counterparts, they would serve as admirably, and in some cases more so.

I just realized how bigoted I really am when it comes to those I would prefer to be preached to by......running a bunch of scenarios in my mind it seems that race, sex, sexual orientation, age and maybe some categories I haven't even thought of may have an influence about the credibility I would give a speaker whom I would be listening to for the first time. I am pretty sure though that I would weigh the content of their speech above all of that once they were done speaking

Edited by Fawzo

As was said above, many of Faith follow the words of Paul, which is unfortunate. I would think the openness and closeness that Christ shared with Mary would be of greater influence and importance. Frankly, I think Paul simply didn't want to be challenged by what is often the more reasoned and rational thinking of the fairer sex. It's difficult to get a mother to desire war, fighting and the possibility of sending a son off to die as were the days then of conflict during the early church.

Indira Gandhi was a prime example of leadership in this world. If we had more mother's in charge of our political process we'd have far fewer sons and daughters dieing in any war, conflict or other examples of macho-craziness. Thinking like a "mother" is far more beneficial to the world.

Push come to shove, truth is genderless. A qualified minister should not be denied spreading their message of peace and loving each other simply on the graounds of gender.

Blessings of Peace,

• 5 months later...

Atwater Vitki said...

"Frankly, I think Paul simply didn't want to be challenged by what is often the more reasoned and rational thinking of the fairer sex. "

I humbly disagree, :derisive: Paul was stating the way the Assembly should be run as guided by God. A reading of the Bible will show Paul was not afraid of a challenge...at all...

Since I am new & only a day into reading the forums I will not start a long reply just yet, but will reserve that for the future.

So far this forum has been a good read! :dirol:

• Amulet locked this topic