i haven't been on for a while but i have a question that needs an aswer and i know this is the place to bring it. a friend ask me what my religion was. i was baptised a catholic when a child but i no longer follow this religion, all though i still carry some of the quilt i was taught to have. I believe in God, i do not believe in organised religion or that the bible is the only word. i believe the bible was written by men with their spin on things. i believe there was a Jesus but i believe he was a man and not divine, he was a teacher, apious person and a leader, he married , had children etc. i believe i don't have to have a middle man between me and God, i talk to him daily and believe he hears me. so what religion would you call me? or am i just a hippocrit (sic). thanks for all answers and im glad to be back. i read the forums often but do not write often.

Well Rev. Patty, I'm glad you came back and asked.

Absolutely not would I consider you a hypocrite for believing the way you do. I also believe Fr John gave you the correct "title" of your belief. I am a fan of theosophy and think you may get a real benefit out of some reading HERE to give you the answer you seek.

Blessings of Peace,

Edited by Atwater Vitki

i haven't been on for a while but i have a question that needs an aswer and i know this is the place to bring it. a friend ask me what my religion was. i was baptised a catholic when a child but i no longer follow this religion, all though i still carry some of the quilt i was taught to have. I believe in God, i do not believe in organised religion or that the bible is the only word. i believe the bible was written by men with their spin on things. i believe there was a Jesus but i believe he was a man and not divine, he was a teacher, apious person and a leader, he married , had children etc. i believe i don't have to have a middle man between me and God, i talk to him daily and believe he hears me. so what religion would you call me? or am i just a hippocrit (sic). thanks for all answers and im glad to be back. i read the forums often but do not write often.

You don't meet the criteria for hypocrocy. To be a hypocrite, you have to say one thing and do another. You were ordained by a church that asked no questions -- and had no doctrine except to do what's right. Since you did not agree to anything in the way of a statement of faith; it follows that you have broken no agreements.

What religion would I call you? Do you need a label? You believe in God. I think that is label enough.

Enjoy your ministry. You have a lifetime to work out the details. An ordination is something that we have to grow into. Have patience.

:)

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Thanks everyone for your responses, I agree with you all, and that is why I joined ULC, we can believe what we want and have the ability to discuss with others our beliefs and get wonderful feedback from the members. peace be with you all.

An ordination is something that we have to grow into. Have patience.

I really like that. And 11 years into my own ministry, I can easily say I am still proving this to myself. It came as a surprise to learn that the growing doesn't end, and the more actively one ministers, the more one grows.

As usual Jonathan, profound.

One of the greatest lessons learned while studying my path, and I apply to my Self on a regular basis, is that the process of Becoming is never "complete" or has and "end". It is, in essence, a continuous evolution as experience reevaluates our knowledge in a never ending cycle.

And yes, Bro Kaman, we humans all have areas where we could be classified as hypocritical to a degree. I think it is when that "degree" overwhelms our moral or ethical base that we begin to have problems with Self. Keeping this in check is a part of our evolution as "ministers" in whatever direction we have set for ourselves.

Rev. Patty- every time I read that someone has learned, grown or in some way advanced their chosen Spiritual Path, it always gives me a warm fuzzy ... especially when someone acknowledges this forum as being even a small part of that new awareness or understanding.

Blessings of Peace,

Rev. Patty,

You can check out an official online UU congregation called the Church of the Larger Fellowship. It's an official congregation.

http://www.clfuu.org/

and here

http://www.questformeaning.org/

I am a member. It requires an initial donation but it's up to you as to the amount.

I also have an online church based in Judeo-Christian tradition, yet Universalist and somewhat Unitarian (we welcome Trinitarians). All are welcome!!!

No one here has joined it *AHEM!!!!*

;)

Edited by FrJohnG

I really like that. And 11 years into my own ministry, I can easily say I am still proving this to myself. It came as a surprise to learn that the growing doesn't end, and the more actively one ministers, the more one grows.

Thank you. I think of ordination as a seed that I have planted within myself. Now comes the life time of cultivation.

Our religion does not need to have a name. There are a lot of people who have a profound love for God, but have no religion. The love of God is their religion. They need nothing else.

I agree Luis.

RevPatty, There is no hypocrisy for believing in what you truly believe. It would be hypocrisy to say you believe other than what you truly believe just to fit into someone else's definition of what they feel you must believe. Most of what you say I would go along with too. I do not believe God has a religion. Mankind makes religions. I believe God is best Served by being honest to yourself and what you truly believe. Anything else is dishonest (IMO). If one loves then I do not believe one can be far wrong. Love is the only religion needed (IMO).

• Amulet locked this topic