Who Controls The Weather?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who or what controls the weather?

• God
    • Satan
    • Nature
    • The Earths Rotation
    • None of the Above

With the recent tornado in the Oklahoma City suburbs where 51 people are now dead, I wondered what people attributed the disaster to? Of course the weather flattened the area, but is there a rhymn or reason for it, or do we just chalk it up to a random and unfortunate occurrence?

I personally believe that God created everything, including the weather, so directly or indirectly, nothing happens without God knowing or controlling the parameters. In this case, the atmospheric conditions which formed the tornado were part of what God put into motion.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the recent tornado in the Oklahoma City suburbs where 51 people are now dead, I wondered what people attributed the disaster to? Of course the weather flattened the area, but is there a rhymn or reason for it, or do we just chalk it up to a random and unfortunate occurrence?

I personally believe that God created everything, including the weather, so directly or indirectly, nothing happens without God knowing or controlling the parameters. In this case, the atmospheric conditions which formed the tornado were part of what God put into motion.

For those that believe God meddles in peoples lives and that whatever good or bad that befalls mankind is in the hands of God and is a part of His "plan," then I would say that, yes, the recent tornados in Oklahoma and everywhere else is God's "fault."

Weather is not a creation or a product. It is uncontrolled chaos itself.

If weather wasn't created, it wouldn't exist.

If weather is substance, it is product.

If the weather was purely chaotic, we couldn't predict it.

JMO

For those that believe God meddles in peoples lives and that whatever good or bad that befalls mankind is in the hands of God and is a part of His "plan," then I would say that, yes, the recent tornados in Oklahoma and everywhere else is God's "fault."

I'm of this mindset, although I don't believe its God's fault even though its His creation. Bad weather is allowed because of sin, it was God's judgement to allow/create havoc. But I guess in an indirect way, it is God's fault since He created the conditions that brought it about.

I asked the question because every time something bad happens like this, people ask; 'How can God allow this?' Or they pray for help from the God who created the bad weather. I have a hard time giving anyone an answer they can accept. I just tell them that there are spontaneous evil events that occur in nature, it rains on the just and unjust alike (Matthew 5:45). The tower of Siloam fell randomly killing 18, but it wasn't because they were horrible sinners (Luke 13:4-5).

I had to delete my other response, I'm too torn up and even angry right now to make any sense...but if this sort of terror and destruction was "God's Will"...I have yet another reason for believing what I do. Sorry there's no "mysterious way" of possible good that comes from incidents like this or Japan, Haiti, Mexico etc etc etc over the past few years...no that is mindless, will-less nature at work, just the way it is, created by atmosphere, magnetic energies and rotation of the earth...nothing "created" about it at all.

My Call and prayers go out to all those in Oklahoma effected by this horrific event.

Blessings Be,

I don't believe there's a big difference between many divine beings and natural processes. I worship the Anemoi, which are the daimones of the winds. They do what wind has done since before the existence of mankind. I don't believe there's any malevolence toward us when natural disaster strikes, but that doesn't make the event any less divine to me. Tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, storms, and the like have been part of our planet's natural processes long before our species entered into the mix. The Great Red Spot of Jupiter is a massive storm, but because there isn't much damage to human life there, it's not usually considered "God's wrath".

If the weather was purely chaotic, we couldn't predict it.

If we could predict it then we would no longer need insurance or disaster relief.

We will never know which house will be destroyed, even if we can estimate approximately how many houses will be destroyed.

This is the nature of chaos.

If we believe Isaiah 45:5-7 it is clear who is responsible for Oklahoma and the weather.

I form the light and create darkness,

I bring prosperity and create disaster;

I, the Lord, do all these things.

Edited by Fawzo

If Pat Robertson has anything to say about it, and I'm sure he will, It will be my fault. In the past he has blamed natural disasters on both homosexuality and Voodoo, so I am 2 for 2. I voted for Nature. I think the weather acts according to its own rules (which may be able to be explained by math and science). I believe divine powers can influence the weather, but without being influenced it will do as it wishes. I guess one could blame deities for not intervening, but I feel they would be guilty of negiligence rather than hostile intent. Of course there may be reasons for it we don't understand, but I feel this is frequently used as a cop out. My mother believes that Jesus takes the time to find her the best parking spot at Walmart when she goes grocery shopping. When anything good happens, she always gives Jesus the credit. If anything bad happens, it is either the Devil or we just don't understand God's ways. In my own belief system, the Voodoo loa are more like Nature, they are not necessarily evil, but they are unpredictible and can be dangerous. Also they are not considered to be omniscient or omnipotent, so I will cut them some slack. The Voodoo version of the Supreme Being, Grand Maitre / Gran Met, is already known to be far away and disinterested for the most part, that is why Voodooists concern themselves with the loa instead.

Edited by BaronCarrefour

It seems as if once again, if one believes that Isaiah 45:5-7 is the word of God, (I form the light and create darkness,

I bring prosperity and create disaster;I, the Lord, do all these things.), he was busy killing people and children in Oklahoma yet again.

How does one pray if one lives in Oklahoma which happens to sit in both the Bible Belt and Tornado Alley? Does one pray "god's will be done" knowing that each time the alarms sound your house and family may be his next targeted sight.

What kind of heartfelt prayers are being offered at the funeral services of these children and other deceased family members to the Entity that is responsible for their deaths. Surely being located in the Bible belt prayers arise fast and furious when the alarms sound or the funnel cloud is seen touching down. How many times when more then 2 or 3 family members have huddled together praying in the name of Jesus have their prayers gone unanswered.

I think it is easy to understand that God no more controls the weather then he does the actions of any of us. Is he responsible for the weather and how it behaves is another question?

How does one pray if one lives in Oklahoma which happens to sit in both the Bible Belt and Tornado Alley? Does one pray "god's will be done" knowing that each time the alarms sound your house and family may be his next targeted sight.

I think it is easy to understand that God no more controls the weather then he does the actions of any of us.

Perhaps people should pray for wisdom in advance.. After-all, when you live in tornado alley, having access to an underground shelter seems prudent.

I think the folks who watched Noah's ark float away would disagree that God had no control over the weather?

If Nature equals God, I think it would be much simpler to talk about Nature.

:)

If Nature emanated from God, its not equal to God. I'll agree though, Nature is a much less complicated subject to talk about.

God is often seen as the focus of one's faith. Nature would only be seen as God (IMO) if Nature was the focus on one's faith.

As for the main debate I would say nature is the cause of the weather. It maybe that they get potentially more tornado disasters in tornado alley but I do not think there is a place on earth that is fully free of potential hazards. Whether that is a tornado, hurricane, flood, tsunami, earthquake, or the catch all of killer asteroids. If God was behind the tornado that hit Kansas Dan then I think the only thing we are to God is possibly his personal snooker table.

Edited by Pete
  • Amulet locked this topic