U.l.c. 60 Minute Interview

Does anyone know about an episode from 60 Minutes about the ULC which claimed that Kirby Hensley admitted to being a 'con man.' I found a book from my local library, which is available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Con-Men-Fascinating-Successful-Television/dp/0743224485/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368750077&sr=8-1&keywords=0743224485

It is supposed to be from actual 60 minute episodes, and claimed that Rev. Hensley stated: "I'm a con man. [laugh] Every other fellow that I came in contact with is a con man. When I give a fellow an Honorary Doctor of Divinity, it's just a little piece of paper. And it ain't worth anything, you know, under God's mighty green earth - you know what I mean? - as far as value." (Pages 17-18.)

He makes a point. Churches are 'tax exempt' in many ways, so what's wrong with that. Thanks for helping with finding this for me.

The book came out making it sound like he was a bad person, but even he says its based on what you do and who you are.

I think this is one of the most endearing things about not only Rev Hensley, but the entire process he started. He doesn't hide behind fluff and promote anything as anything it's not. He's never claimed "Divine provenance" or grace, just called things like he saw them. That is something I can't say for the vast majority of preachers from all other denominations combined.

Frankly, the church I grew up in, if you aren't a graduate of at least one the above listed seminaries/colleges, well you simply do not know jack about Jesus, the Bible or the True Religion at all. Preferably Bethel, Covenant or Evangelical if ya want to considered to lead the flock at MCC, and their very own North Park Seminary if ya want to actually get the job.

All in all, I don't begrudge a single graduate of any one these or numerous other seminaries, it's good to know the faithful are in the good hands of a "well educated leader". I could throw in at least a nickel's worth of what I personally think about most of the ego and salary driven pastors of MCC over the past 35 years, but meh, leave it to the wind. I'm convinced they'll get their "just reward" when they get to Heaven....oh yeah, I do believe they get the "Heaven" they have created for themselves!

I'm just thankful, ever so thankful, for men like our Rev. Hensley who saw things as they are for what they are! To me, that is the biggest difference between teaching people Spiritual Truth over doctrine and dogma. Allowing people to seek their own personal path and finding personal truth vs that of attending a congregation and being told one theosophical view of truth!

Blessings of Peace,

• Amulet locked this topic