Is My Website Generally Accurate About Your Faith?

Hello John,
Just a few observations and/or questions:

(1) As you have named your organization Wiregrass Universal Life Church (nice name!), I am asking this:

Have you registered this organization with Modesto? It is one thing to be ordained by ULC-Modesto, it is another matter to be operating a church (and offering ordinations). You really should register your organization with Andre, and have it recognized by our HQ in order to be "in communion with" same.

(2) Re doing that which is right since 2010... I would suggest using quotation marks (as follows) in order to indicate the significance of those words:

Doing "that which is right" since 2010

That's all, for now.! :)

Edited by Bro. Hex

Looks really great FJG! I really enjoyed the Druidry page, although I'm not a Druid so I can't vouch for its accuracy. It's pretty convincing at any rate. I also enjoyed the Universalism page, which is a subject I'm more at home with. I love the substance, however I would recommend rearranging it so that "What is Universalism" which reads very much like a general intro or overview would go at the top and would be bolded. Then I would suggest moving onto "Christian universalism aka Trinitarian Universalism" and finishing it out with "Unitarian universalism", although the last two could be put in either order. I just like the logical flow of introducing universalism, which you correctly identified as a historically Christian idea that was minimized over the years but is now experiencing a revival and evloultion, then explaining exactly what that Christian universalism entails and then showing how the concept has evolved past the Christian tradition and can be turned into a form of inclusive religious pluralism, which can include all faith traditions. But then that's just me..

Also, I'm not sure if it's accurate to define Universalism as being the opposite of Fundamentalism. The opposite of Fundamentalism is subjectivism or relativism or something along that line, where dogma is either minimized or abandoned altogether. The opposite of universalism is exclusivism, which can include religious fundamentalists but need not do so. But I could just be splitting hairs.

Hope this helps...it really is an excellent website. Good luck!

Another (small) observation:

A number of Christians, particularly among the Fundamentalists, do not believe in the Trinity. So, it seems to me that there could be a number of "Christian Universalists" that might not be comfortable being described as Trinitarian.

On the other hand, I don't expect that very many Fundamentalists would self-identify as Universalists,

in the first place... (so maybe I am being too picky!).

However, I do agree with Rev Rattler that Fundamentalism is not "the opposite of" Universalism... they are just likely to be "uncomfortable bedfellows".

Edited by Bro. Hex

Hello John,

Just a few observations and/or questions:

(1) As you have named your organization Wiregrass Universal Life Church (nice name!), I am asking this:

Have you registered this organization with Modesto? It is one thing to be ordained by ULC-Modesto, it is another matter to be operating a church (and offering ordinations). You really should register your organization with Andre, and have it recognized by our HQ in order to be "in communion with" same.

(2) Re doing that which is right since 2010... I would suggest using quotation marks (as follows) in order to indicate the significance of those words:

Doing "that which is right" since 2010

That's all, for now.! :)

Here is a response from Dyan at HQ regarding registering a church with them.

I'll share this so everyone can know about this:

Hi John,

Well, you don’t need to register your church with our church in order to have a church of your own.

We do offer a service where we will keep an extra set of church records for your church if you want. Again you do not have to have this service with us if you choose not to.

This service is called a “congregational agreement” with us. You will need to fill out a congregational agreement form and have 3 people total sign the agreement, which would be a minister, a secretary and a treasurer. We will need their original signatures on this form. You would then have to mail back the original form with $35.00 to start the agreement with us. Then is would be $5.00 monthly, $15.00 a quarter, or $60.00 for the year to keep this agreement going. You would also have to file your church paperwork to keep the agreement active. You can either file monthly, quarterly or wait and file the 12 months once a year.

In turn, we keep an extra set of your paperwork, like quarterly reports, minutes, how much you take in and how much goes out of the church, etc.

We will also send you a “congregation certificate” showing your church

Has this agreement with our church. You would still have to get from the IRS your own 501C3 paperwork. There is a very good book we recommend you get called “Church and Non Profit Tax and Financial Guide” which you can pick up at any major bookstore with a tax section, or most Christian Bookstores. You can also purchase the book at amazon.com or our authorized website at www.ulc.net. You can also check your local library to see if they have the latest version of the book that you can check out.

I have attached the congregational agreement form, instructions on “how to start a congregation” and a flyer telling you about the books I recommended.

Dyan

Dyan Silva

ULC Headquarters

601 3rd St.

Modesto, CA 95351

fax: 209-527-8116

phone: 209-527-8111

www.ulchq.com

email: dyan-at-ulchq.com

Magic and witchcraft

The belief in magic and the practice of magical rituals are followed by a "significant number" of contemporary Pagans. Among those who do believe in it, there are a variety of different views as to what magic is, but many Pagans adhere to the definition of magic provided by the founder of Thelema, Aleister Crowley, who defined it as "the Science and Art of causing change to occur in conformity with Will." Another related definition accepted by many Pagans is that purported by the ceremonial magician Dion Fortune, who declared that "Magic is the art and science of changing consciousness according to the Will."

Among these are Wicca, Neoshamanism, Neo-Druidism, and other pagan belief systems, the rituals of which were at least initially partially based upon those of ceremonial magic.

I, for one, really appreciate this summary of "majik" as it pertains to what most Pagans believe regarding the practice. "Changing consciousness" is precisely what I was taught and adhere to. I realize this completely shatters the ideal many "playgans* " hold, but I'm honestly not too worried about getting zapped by their fireballs! :unsure:

Overall, Fr. John, I think you did a wonderful job on your web-site..... it's a keeper!

Blessings of Peace,

* term used in another topic that I've come to really enjoy

Hi all...I just added three sections to my website....one on Druidism, one on Paganism and one on Universalism. Right now they are general overviews.

Please tell me what you think. Accurate? No?

thanks.

wiregrassulc.webs.com

I'm impressed with you, and yes; for the most part it's accurate. Hinduism is annoyingly difficult to define, so I think you've done as well as most.

• Amulet locked this topic