Age Of Consent

mererdog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old were you when you became responsible enough to make the important choices in your life?

Around three, when I decided to stop pooping in my diaper and demanded big boy pants. I think I made the right call. It's a maturing process though, the priorities of life are constantly changing and I can't honestly claim to be responsible enough even now. It's one of the drawbacks of lacking omniscience.

The law told me 18 yrs old for most and 21 for all. My car insurance told me 25 yrs old. We are in fact old enough at any age to make any important choice in our life. Although, we do make more mature and educated decisions at different ages than others. I am still growing up and may well make it to manhood before I die. Somehow, though, I kinda hope I won't.

Let's see at just a month shy of my 16th b-day I ran away from the insanity of double standards and forced un-truths at my parents' house and enjoyed three months of freedom. Only a year later, after being returned to "Stalag 3120" by a pretty cool sheriff deputy, I was off to boot camp and then Viet Nam. That year period was packed full of "important decisions", many of which sent me on the crusade I've been on since.

Prior to that, I'd have to agree with Kingfisher that making the decision to quit poopy pantsing was probably one of the major "important decisions" prior to my coming of age.

:wizard:

Seems to me that this is an analysis which revolves around individuals from unique environments, regarding specific circumstances at particular times. Can we really use any determination regarding responsibility and consent in order to establish just laws that would apply to an entire population?

The decision to serve the Lord was at age 8. Of course there is serving as a child and serving as an adult. While a child, I served in roles fit for children: entry level acolyte positions, cleaning and polishing the church furniture, etc. As my age increased, so did my training and responsibility. But, from age 8 to my present ministries, I have lived a life serving others in the name of the Lord.

The bigger decision was to live a celibate life. I first chose the life at 17 for a 7 year vow. Looking back, that choice was easy, because you don't really miss what you don't understand. It was a safe choice. I have since renewed my choice to be celibate, this time with full awareness. It is not an easy life, but it does allow one to focus on other things that require time that would otherwise be given to a partner. My life of service often has me running in the middle of the night, before the sun rises, on holidays, at other times that are not convenient. When the people you serve need you, they often need you right that moment. It is not fair to partners, to children, to family in general to up and leave every time you are called, so I chose to live without the encumbrance of a partner or children. It's a choice - not for everyone, but it works for me.

Other decisions don't have as fixed a time stamp, but come up as needed. I have never done drugs and will not start now, so who do you put an age to that? It just is. I average one drink every two or three years, and then usually don't drink the entire beverage, so it is safe to say I do not "really" drink. I enjoy them when I have them, but I can be just as happy with a club soda with a twist of lemon or lime (orange is good too).

I have had the good fortune to have been raised with excellent guiding forces (namely parents and other concerned adults), and they have instilled a moral compass that works well for me. But I only apply it to me. It shocked my parents when I was fresh out of high school to learn that I had more than a few friends that did drugs. I had no particular problem with it, as long as they followed the three rules: 1 - if you're going to get stoned, let me know so I can leave. You can choose to do drugs, but I can choose not to have to watch you. 2 - I will provide my own transportation. You will not ever drive me because I do not know how much residual drugs are in your system and how they affect your driving. 3. If law enforcement ever comes knocking and asks what I know about your drug use, I will not lie for you. Sorry, I know that is a tough one, and for some friendships it was a deal breaker, but if you are my friend, you would not put me in a position where I would have to break the law for you. Be satisfied that I don't report your use, which in some jurisdictions is enough to make me guilty by association.

I try to live life to be an example to be followed, not shunned. I'm not Amish, but I have Mennonite friends who say I would fit in pretty well. :)

How old were you when you became responsible enough to make the important choices in your life?

I think it is different for everyone. At 15 I knew I was in love and wasn't going to let anyone stop me from being with my BF. It was even more difficult because he is 10 yrs older than I am.

Here I am at 32, married happily to him for almost 16 yrs now and we have two beautiful kids. If I had let all those nay sayers win back then I wouldn't have a great family and husband. I definitely made the right choice.

When people say teens don't know what love is, I laugh. Yeah some of them, and maybe even the majority, may not know what love is. But that is not because of their age.

I believe it's different for each individual. The law says 18-21 mostly because it's a middle of the road age where you move out and try to make something of yourself. In truth, some people take longer than this, and others are ready long before.

For instance, I didn't get married till I was 23. I'm 26 now. I moved out at 19, but moved back in when I couldn't handle it, and then back out again at around age 21. I joined the Army Reserves, which lasted four years, and never re-enlisted because of my damn knee. My dad gave me my first beer, which I made the choice to refrain from all through high school, at the age of 20 after coming home from Basic Training. My dad said, "Son, you're old enough to serve your country, you're old enough to have a drink." I first had sex when I was 19 because I felt I should wait. Doesn't mean I didn't know what love meant. In fact, I never have, and still don't equate love with sex. That choice was made shortly after I hit puberty.

So I kinda jumped around on the life choice thing. I like to think I made some ok choices. I know I've made mistakes. But that's all part of growing up.

On a note of some people taking longer than others, I know three people, all over forty. Two should not be allowed to raise children at all. They still act like they're in high school. The third still lives with moma and likes to tell lies even after he's caught in them. Needless to say, I told them to "Blessed Be, and F$#^K OFF." I don't need bad influences in my life like that, but I didn't wish them any ill will.

Depends on where you live if you are talking about legally.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/09/spain-raises-age-of-consent-for-sex-marriage/

I think it really depends on the individual, the circumstances and the consequences of making a bad choice. The age of accountability is also something to consider. Just because you may be accountable for decisions you make doesn't necesarily mean you should make those decisions.

legally or personally?

What's the difference?

Can we really use any determination regarding responsibility and consent in order to establish just laws that would apply to an entire population?

I can't and I doubt anyone else can. But I don't like telling people what they can't do, so :pardon:

Well, Legally is a pre-determined age. 18-21.

Personally can be just about any age before or even after this mark. It depends on the individual.

Since I asked each individual about their own experience, which sort of answer would best fit the question?

Since I asked each individual about their own experience, which sort of answer would best fit the question?

One day longer than how old you were when you became responsible enough to make the important choices in your life. :)

• Amulet locked this topic