What Are You Doing For Ostara (Easter)?

Only once every few decades do we have a "Super Östära" by having it fall on the Full Moon, this year we missed by only a few days so it should be coming up in the next 2-3 years. These were especially majik charged years when the cycles of moon, equinox and spring fell on the same day. It is said that even non-pagans could feel the super charged energies during these unusual years.

While Equinox fell on Wednesday March 20th this year, it was a rather mundane event for most followers of Teutonic Beliefs. I did my usual rune-casting and spent the day, unfortunately sitting in the waiting room of the doc's...but all is well...more tests will determine if we wasted my time or not...of course :unsure:

Believe it or not I actually got the following list from the Jehovah Witness web-site (provided by Pete - thank you) in Coolhand's thread on his linguistic experiences at a recent JW meeting.

The celebration of Easter is not based in the Bible. If you look into its history, though, you will see the true meaning of Easter—it is a tradition based on ancient fertility rites.

Consider the following.

1. Name: The Encyclopædia Britannica says: “The English name Easter is
    of uncertain origin; the Anglo-Saxon priest Venerable Bede in the 8th century derived it from the Anglo-Saxon spring goddess Eostre.” Others link it to Astarte, the Phoenician fertility goddess who had the Babylonian counterpart Ishtar. Östära was the Nordic equivalent to the Anglo-Saxon spring equinox rites.

2. Hares, rabbits: These are symbols of fertility “handed down from the ancient ceremonial and symbolism of European and Middle Eastern pagan spring festivals.”—Encyclopædia Britannica.

3. Eggs: According to Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend, the hunt for Easter eggs, supposedly brought by the Easter rabbit, “is not mere child’s play, but the vestige of a fertility rite.” Some cultures believed that the decorated Easter egg “could magically bring happiness, prosperity, health, and protection.”—Traditional Festivals.

4. New Easter outfit: “It was considered discourteous and therefore bad luck to greet the Scandinavian goddess of Spring, or Eastre, in anything but fresh garb.”—The Giant Book of Superstitions.

5. Sunrise services: These have been linked to rites of ancient sun worshippers “performed at the vernal equinox welcoming the sun and its great power to bring new life to all growing things.”—Celebrations—The Complete Book of American Holidays.

The American Book of Days well describes the origin of Easter: “There is no doubt that the Church in its early days adopted the old pagan customs and gave a Christian meaning to them.”

The Bible warns against worshipping God by following traditions or customs that displease him. (Mark 7:6-8) Second Corinthians 6:17 states: “‘Separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing.’” Easter is a pagan holiday that those who want to please God will avoid.

I know many of you will be attending many various events of your beliefs this weekend and especially Sunday March 31. Whether you subscribe to the Pagan aspects of this day, the Christian or "other", I wish you all the best with friends and family.

For some of us though, it's a mixed feelings holiday, and my sincerest desire is that we celebrate the Life of those we truly miss, that we remember the meaning of both death and resurrection (both religiously and spiritually) and take this day to celebrate all the myriad of meanings behind this special day....however it may apply to you personally.

Blessings of Peace,

I don't personally observe either Ostara or Easter, as neither are a traditional part of my religious practice; but I will be joining my family for dinner on Easter Sunday.

I'm just now finishing the observance of the seven-day festival of the City Dionysia, which partially coincides with the Christian "Holy Week" this year. I have a bit of a break from holidays until the end of this lunar month, when I observe Hekate's deipnon (supper) and then the Noumenia of Attic month of Mounukhion.

I know that, just like on Christmas Eve, folklore dictates that devils and demons are supposed to be out on the prowl the night before Easter. But unfortunately I am here working the graveyard shift at the mental hospital rather than out wreaking havoc. Anyway, after a brief morning nap I am going to a cookout with my Christian family members. Dad decided to have hamburgers and bratwurst insted of ham this Easter :) .

My wife and I already performed our fertility rites last week, when the equinox actually happened, but that was mostly to free us up so that we can do something with our more Christian family members today. That usually means getting baskets full of candy and fake grass and watching like a good guard dog as my little cousins run around finding hidden eggs after they get home from church and at least one tries to berrate me for not being there.

We've already celebrated Ostara at home. We did a ritual, where we planted seeds inside egg shells to represent our return to growth and new beginnings. We'll plant them outside (sunflowers) when they are ready.

Then I gave the kids candy and we all sat around while I told a story about Eostre and her bunny who lays eggs.

Today we'll be going to MIL's house for a dinner and maybe an egg hunt.

• Amulet locked this topic