Please forgive me. I know that I am not a Wiccan or a Witch but I ask because I want to know about a respected faith that many have. Is there a title that is non sexist? I mean a Wizard/Warlock seems to just refer to men. Wizard as I understand it means wise one and yet when I have been a Nurse most of my life and acknowledge in days gone by I may of been considered a Hedge Witch. I consider some Hedge WItches to be just as wise. 

Is Wizard or Warlock a sexist title? Can men and women be referred to as Witches?

I ask out of curiosity and in full respect. Sorry if my question appears silly. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Please forgive me. I know that I am not a Wiccan or a Witch but I ask because I want to know about a respected faith that many have. Is there a title that is non sexist? I mean a Wizard/Warlock seems to just refer to men. Wizard as I understand it means wise one and yet when I have been a Nurse most of my life and acknowledge in days gone by I may of been considered a Hedge Witch. I consider some Hedge WItches to be just as wise. 

Is Wizard or Warlock a sexist title? Can men and women be referred to as Witches?

I ask out of curiosity and in full respect. Sorry if my question appears silly. 

Witch can be used for both male and female practitioners. Most use this title. There is a small portion of Pagans trying to take back the names Warlock or Wizard for male witches. To many it means Oathbreaker, others say differently. 

Hedge witch is a type of Pagan that usually has specialized in herbal applications. Either for skin care, medicine, etc. Here's an article about Hedge Witches

I just wondered. I saw what I thought was hideous when people left churches just because a woman was made a minister. I just wondered if this occurs in other faiths

Also I thank you for your link. I think a lot of what I do as a Nurse would have been seen as magic in days gone by and hedge Witches did the healing in a village. I know that Florence Nightingale got the credit for Nursing but caring took place long before her.

• 1 month later...

As i was taught and trained originally and as i my self teach/train my students and initiates is that everyone equally is called Witch, once you wish to be initiated and brought within the circle as a priest you are called of the wica.

some call them selfs warlocks and there is president in doing so at least in Scotland and else where. what ever you wish to call your self you may and defend your right as loud and proud as one wishes.

the god's care not what you call your self as long as you devote your self to them and commune with and give unto your self to them listen, talk to, learn from, and really devote  to your god's.

As to the Book Of shadows, the old cunning folk and pre-20th/21st century witches had no books or so really. yeah they might have had journals and recipe books maybe incantations put within them but from all accounts most of the real old world witchery didnt have anything resembling a Book of Shadows really.

My Book of Shadows is really just the bare basic and the Core aspects of Wica, as put down by Gerald Gardner. in other journals i have added on rites/rituals and so forth but nothing in added to my core book. and all other material is dated signed and sourced.

as well my herbal book and recipes and other bits and pieces that are known to have worked/work.

• 4 months later...

I may be stirring the pot here, and I do not mean to, but do Wiccans still read Raymond Bucklands "Complete Book of Witchcraft" (The Big Blue Book)?  It was one of the many books I read as I was searching. Another was A Witches Bible, by Stewart Farrar.  Both gave the basics of Ritual, and the like. The latter book was a bit over my head at the time I read it, but there was good information contained in both, if one is searching.

Hello Archbishop Mike,

I would certainly recommend both books you mentioned. They were both instrumental in my first becoming a Witch (back in the late 1980's). Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is accessible for those just starting out but goes much further than most more recent introductory or "how to" books. A Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrar is a classic. It deals with some more complex aspects of Wicca. It is also important because it contains the Gardnerian Book of Shadows with commentary by Doreen Valiente who was Gerald Gardner's High Priestess and wrote important portions of it. Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone have written a book, Progressive Witchcraft (re-released as The Inner Mysteries) that makes a bridge between the more traditional form of Wicca/Witchcraft found in A Witches' Bible and the more progressive form of today's Witchcraft. It discusses how Wicca has become more Pagan and less Qabalistic as it has matured over the years.

BTW, I corresponded with Janet Farrar recently and had a Tarot reading done by her. She was intelligent, insightful, compassionate, witty, and a true Elder of the Craft if there ever was one :wub:

Nice to meet you Archbishop Mike :) 

Bendithion (blessings),

Myrddin

On 10/26/2016 at 0:32 PM, ArchbishopMike134 said:

I may be stirring the pot here, and I do not mean to, but do Wiccans still read Raymond Bucklands "Complete Book of Witchcraft" (The Big Blue Book)?  It was one of the many books I read as I was searching. Another was A Witches Bible, by Stewart Farrar.  Both gave the basics of Ritual, and the like. The latter book was a bit over my head at the time I read it, but there was good information contained in both, if one is searching.

It all depends what branch of witchcraft you are studying/practicing these days. In some circles Traditional Oath-Bound Wicca stuff has lost it's influence. In my opinion it's because a lot of it doesn't translate well today. People are choosing different types of witchcraft with different original sources. (ie Traditional Witchcraft variations that draw on Folklore)

9 hours ago, Raincloud said:

It all depends what branch of witchcraft you are studying/practicing these days. In some circles Traditional Oath-Bound Wicca stuff has lost it's influence. In my opinion it's because a lot of it doesn't translate well today. People are choosing different types of witchcraft with different original sources. (ie Traditional Witchcraft variations that draw on Folklore)

Well that is good to know, it has been a while since my Searching days.

• 4 weeks later...

Despite what many people may or may not believe, what you find in books and so forth is just information, no matter who wrote it. Even Ray Buckland, Stewart/Janet Farrar. or any other Witch, they have never published the full BOS, as it is not able to. there are aspects that cannot be written. nearly half of all of the actual "meat" of Traditional Witchcraft is experiance driven and Ecstatic, the really important factor's are only done via word of mouth and transmitted orally only even within the more Folkloric and country Witchcraft. Or atleast in my experiances .

There will be variations to different copies of the Book of Shadows because covens and individuals are supposed to add to it (and some detract from it, or change portions of it), But when Doreen Valiente authenticates the contents and states this is what the Gardnerian Book of Shadows was like at the time she was Gardner's High Priestess I tend to believe her. Many portions of the Book were actually written by her, such as the Charge of the Goddess.The whole point of the Farrars and Valiente presenting the Gardnerian Book of Shadows in print was because there were so many erroneous versions being circulated. After being copied and recopied numerous times it had become like a game of Chinese whispers. I am certain that there are Wiccans out there who claim to have secret knowledge or hidden keys as a way of maintaining control over neophytes.

Bendithion,

Myrddin

Edited by Myrddin

I wished to edit the last line in my above post, but too much time had passed. I am certain that there may be some Wiccans out there who claim to have important secret knowledge or hidden keys as a way of maintaining control over neophytes. It reminds of Aleister Crowley, referring to his tenure the Golden Dawn, remarking that he had to swear oaths not to reveal the Hebrew alphabet as if it were some powerful secret (although it was on public display at the British Museum and readily available to anyone who cared to look for it) :)

Bendithion,

Myrddin

Greetings Myrddin,

Your comment about keeping seekers and so forth in the dark, that is something we do not do, while there are certain things not talked about it is due to degree as such there are levels to which knowledge is passed and attained, not only in a book one must write out, but also there is oral lore and information and ways in working that are only for certain degree's, i know at least within the  coven i worked with and circle with still, you didn't copy out of the High priestess's book till you were going to hive, yes you had a working student's book with notes and passages but you didn't have your own Book till you hived. keeping with the old tradition(scottish) of having one master book for your group.

Even Doreen and Stewart/Janet didnt Violate there oaths by putting in the oral information or the information and lesson's one learns in person as is over half of the knowledge one gets that is if your working in a good and reputable coven

Hello Jared,

I am glad that you do not. I did not mean to imply that all did; that is why I had edited my comment to some. I have been practicing Wicca for about 29 years. I have run across some Wiccans who call themselves Priest and Priestess but do not understand what it is they are teaching. Those types seem to be all about power trips and pecking order. When I teach others I do not keep them in the dark, and I and explain the meaning behind what they were doing. For example, I would explain the significance of the S and $ on the pentacle and how they relate to other portions of Wiccan ritual. I would also explain their relation to Geburah and Gedulah. I fear that there are some out there (not all) who blindly perform rituals and are merely copying things they don't truly understand. When asked why or what things mean they either claim it is a secret or make up something inaccurate. You say you have a Scottish based path, and as mine is Welsh based I would expect differences. I generally work as a solitary (by choice), but if your core is based on Gardnerian/Alexandrian style Wicca then I would imagine that we would have much in common.

Bendithion (Blessings),

Myrddin  

Edited by Myrddin
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 0:39 PM, Myrddin said:

Hello Jared,

I am glad that you do not. I did not mean to imply that all did; that is why I had edited my comment to some. I have been practicing Wicca for about 29 years. I have run across some Wiccans who call themselves Priest and Priestess but do not understand what it is they are teaching. Those types seem to be all about power trips and pecking order. When I teach others I do not keep them in the dark, and I and explain the meaning behind what they were doing. For example, I would explain the significance of the S and $ on the pentacle and how they relate to other portions of Wiccan ritual. I would also explain their relation to Geburah and Gedulah. I fear that there are some out there (not all) who blindly perform rituals and are merely copying things they don't truly understand. When asked why or what things mean they either claim it is a secret or make up something inaccurate. You say you have a Scottish based path, and as mine is Welsh based I would expect differences. I generally work as a solitary (by choice), but if your core is based on Gardnerian/Alexandrian style Wicca then I would imagine that we would have much in common.

Bendithion (Blessings),

Myrddin  

Greetings Myrddin,

you are very correct, alas most people just dont understand or wish to, as most who say Wicca mean something completely different than What Gardner meant by it. then again i guess most who say Wicca are not the Hidden Children of the Goddess.

yes most do not understand the symbols on the pentacle, the source and kiss are very important as well is the Scourge in and of it self to which most dont understand nor do most want to as well to the binding.

my Personal path is Ozark cunning craft which blends Scottish/Northern Ireland welsh/British. and as well Gardnerian. i have quite a few merged lines within Gardnerian, having taken my First with the north london coven, as well my second, then guesting at and taking 1* and 2* in Whitecroft,  as well guesting with both Lois bourne and Dayonis and being givin 3* by both.  My BOS is very much in light to British Witchcraft then most.

FFF,

Obere