Broken Code

Rev Dr Burnt Swamp

• Administrator

Ok, fixed it like you wanted, but be aware that you may get into a discussion about how it may not be correct to use both Rev and Dr prior to your name. Most accept the format Rev Burnt Swamp, DD. but not Rev Dr Burnt Swamp. But, whatever floats your boat.

But the code does appear to be broken. Thanks

Thank you, brother! I am glad I found a real bug rather than a deficiency on my part. For that matter, I don't mind being corrected, in any case.

As far as the honorifics and addressing a rev. by title, I searched a little but couldn't find it offhand; what I've read somewhere before...I think it may have been on some ULC site or forum long ago: My protocol is Rev. [name], D.D.

<OR> Rev. Dr. [name], without "D.D". So I believe it would be standard to use either, but not both, "Dr." or D.D., one at a time. But not Dr. and D.D. together. Works for me. Thanks again!

ps - love your little political tag line. nice to see a good one-liner I haven't heard before.

"My wife dresses to kill. She cooks like it, too."

"A hooker told me 'I'll do anything you want for a hundred dollars'. I said, 'Paint my house!' " -Henny Youngman (both quotes)

Edited by Rev Dr Burnt Swamp

I think the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Would bisagree with that. ;)

Actually, methinks you just supported the arguement rather than refuting it.

I have seen his name written and spoken as "Rev. Doctor Martin Luther King Jr." What would be awkward construction would be to add D.D. to that, making it Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr., D.D. It is also rather redundant. If the specifics of the doctorate were needed or desired, such as to determine whether a Ph.D., D.D., or other discipline, one would use the form of Name, and degree designation and omit the title Reverend Doctor.

It is the same with a medical doctorate: You might see it written Marcus Welby, M.D.; or you might see Doctor Marcus Welby, but it would be overkill and awkward to write or say Doctor Marcus Welby, M.D.

Dev, did you read the posts above? he never said he wanted both the "Dr" and the initials at the end. He just wanted one and MD said that some folks would take umbrage to the use of Rev Dr instead of Rev Insertnamehere, DD. I pointed out that least one prominent minister preferred Rev Dr Burntswamp's method over MD's. The reverend doctor even said he didn't want both...before you go refuting arguments, at least take time to know what the argument is. :P

Dev, did you read the posts above? he never said he wanted both the "Dr" and the initials at the end. He just wanted one and MD said that some folks would take umbrage to the use of Rev Dr instead of Rev Insertnamehere, DD. I pointed out that least one prominent minister preferred Rev Dr Burntswamp's method over MD's. The reverend doctor even said he didn't want both...before you go refuting arguments, at least take time to know what the argument is. :P

We can be pretty sure that no matter what position we take, someone is going to object to it. Just do what you think is right. ;)

The proper way is to use either Dr. or Rev. before the name. If you use Dr. you do not use the post nominal for the degree after (outside of a medical context) the name. You generally should only use one pre and one post nominal.

Are their folks that that break those rules? Yep! Are they hard and fast? That depends on who you ask! Will someone look down their nose at you for improper use of pre/post nominals? I am certain there are! Use your good judgment, understand what you are doing and just as importantly who you are doing it around, so you know the kind of reaction you will illicit.

Roll in to a meeting of at the Harvard Club in NYC with a law degree from Montana State and except a warm welcome, you might be shocked.

ed w

The name is Devon. You may addresss me as Brother Devon. And yes, I have read the thread. I stated what I did, because the more recent posts made it appear that you were supporting the use of both forms. Apparently, I have misread. Humankind have been known to be flawed that way. Perhaps you will be appeased in knowing that as of the time of that post, I had just finished working a 105 (yes, that is ONE HUNDRED FIVE) hour week over the three jobs and just had three people close to me die. My mind was not completely on reading the entire thread at the time, just the more recent posts.

So sorry if I offended. Perhaps next time, I'll ask my interpreter to sign your posts to me.

Apologies for being too familiar Brother Devon. Since we're on a formal basis, please my full name as well: Meister Mithrandir, mustachioed man-at-arms,master of mirth &merriment, and meritorious monk of mountain magick....or MMMMMMMMMMM for short.

Ps: get some rest dude

Edited by Mithrandir

You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner.

Heeeeyyyy...dat's my line!! :clown:

I also believe that the Rev. Dr. Billy Graham would disagree

and

"it is completely acceptable to use 'Rev. Dr.' in your name" since completing one of the doctorates degrees here at ULC - email exchange with Amy after taking the doctorates, and passing 100%, from the ULC. I was a bit confused about that as well, but as I open the local phone book, there are 7 "Rev. Dr." just on one yellow page of about 70-80 listings...guess they didn't get the memo either!

Yep, whatever bloats your foat!

Blessings Be,

Heeeeyyyy...dat's my line!! :clown:

It's an oldie, but a goodie. Someone else breaking the code is no skin off my nose, but I wouldn't want to be late for dinner... that might make me the rude one. Rev. Dr. Swamp, Brother Devon, the jocular Meister Mithrandir, and everyone else... I'll address you how you wish to be known, it's only polite. I too may offer suggestions from time to time, but who am I to think I have the authority to define you better than you? :)

Al, I think you pointed out, just because I can go in just about any tattoo shop and get a Harley Logo tattoo, that doesn't make it right now does it?

Just because you can do it, doesn't make it right. Etiquette is no more than one pre and one post nominal and that the pre and post do not repeat themselves. You will also find this in many of the style manual for publisher and universities writing labs. They don't like alphabet soup before and after people's names. Heck if I used ever pre and post nominal I am entitled to..my signature block would take up half the page!

For Amy, I'll let her know, after all, I am the Vice President of the Seminary, don't want her give out bad info :dirol: .

The last time I took the test and received my master certification on the Chicago Editor certification (the standard used by such publications as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and a host of others), the publication standard was as stated by our own Dorian Gray. One pre, one post-nomial. The only major exception to the standard was for health care professionals crossing disciplines - for example a medical doctor who also is a dental surgeon might be required to use both M.D. and D.D.S. in order to show that he or she is legal to practice in both fields. The only other place one would list one's multiple degrees and postnomials is on a curriculum vitae or resume, and then unless requested otherwise, it is standard to only list those relevant to the job the applicant seeks.

Of course, when talking shop, I would technically be "Brother Abbot" to my familiars, and "Brother Devon" to those outside my circle of ministry. I am usually not overly hung up on titles, though, as long as one addresses me politely. I find it interesting that the people who use my title most are the ones least expected to, such as my residents at the nursing home, who usually call me Brother or Sir.