Animal Cruelty...disturbing Old Problem

Atwater Vitki

This topic has been avoided because it does upset people. However, I believe it's necessary, especially with the Holidays coming and so many people wanting to give the "Gift of Life" of a pet. I don't want to freak people out, but this is a topic that most pet lovers deplore, but are well familiar with. If you should have the stomach for it, yes, that is a warning, you can find out more by clicking the link below.

Do not open this link or the links provided unless you're up to it and possibly willing to do something about the problem:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=animal+cruelty+articles&pc=ZUGO&form=ZGAFDF

As a ULC minister, we are often called upon to counsel people and their problems in Life. Good and well enough. But if you are in a position of helping your neighbor, friend or family member, also look beyond them and into their problems as a whole. If their problems are serious enough that you may seek professional guidance for them by medical professionals, you may also want to check on the health and behavior of any pet they may have*.

Larger breeds of dogs for instant are usually fairly friendly types (unless trained as guard or attack dogs of course) and the little breeds are quite often just very protective of “mom” or “dad”. “Lap Yappers” is one term, but their owners love them all the same. Many of the Retriever, Dane, Spaniel, Border Collie, Collie and Labrador breeds are exceptionally friendly. While the reputation precedes many of the Doberman, Shepard, Mastiff, Ridgeback and other aggressive breeds, far more often than not, when trained correctly these are very loyal, well behaved dogs as well.

If, in your capacity of Minister, Pastor or other ULC title, you are called upon to counsel or do welfare checks on people, please consider any pets they have as well. Just as the closest of family members are neglected or acted out upon during a person's lapse of good sense, so might their beloved pets.

Many of the articles linked above concern the willful cruelties inflicted upon animals. What may be lost in translation is that it's people who are doing the damage. What many psychiatric professionals are finding out is that people who cause harm to people, often started out at an early age being cruel to animals.

Blatant abuse is one problem, such as beating or confining an animal, not feeding or giving medical care. But many abuses come in very subtle forms such as neglect. Animal hoarders, whom a person would think is doing the strays a service, many times are not. Simply feeding an animal is not caring for an animal.

All too often our role as a licensed officiant stays within those confines, but as I've found out, being a good listener is needed more and more these days. While I haven't performed a wedding in many months, I find myself routinely with several neighbors and helping them dig through the issues surrounding their many social and life crisis problems. Some of those I've expressed here on the forum.

Anyway, if you can handle a bit of a downer, click through a few of the articles linked above, and familiarize yourself on some of the more subtle signs of animals abuse. The quicker it is recognized, the quicker you can determine if professional help may be in order for someone you are counseling. Naturally this should be determined on a case by case basis and informing any family member would be your first plan of help, but being armed with a bit of fore knowledge can sure help.

I'd hate to see a case where the zealous need to help a person overlooked the needs of their pets as well!

Blessings of Peace,

*This is what happened in the case I posted about "Stan" and his cats "Bucky" and "Moon". Personal issues I've been dealing with with "Stan" for over 2 years have now lead to the need to help him find homes for his many pets. Fortunately things are in the works for the animal care. A local high school took all the reptiles for their biology class...no! ...not as dissection samples, as visual aides. Two of the yapper dogs have gone to another neighbor and things are in the works for the cats, only 3 small dogs and 2 older cats remain in that home and things are getting to a point of manageable for "Stan" and his gal friend. Sometimes we have to defrock to do what's best for the flock!