The Real Holiday Horror Is Coming....

BrDevon

It is coming up on that time of year that fills me with dread... the holiday season. Why would that be? Because somewhere out there -- too many "out theres" -- are people who think it is a good idea to adopt a pet for the holiday.

A couple of news flashes: if the pet in question does not have a battery port or is not full of fiberfill, it does not belong under the tree! If you were adopting a human baby and put it under a tree, the authorities would have you hauled away.

Ever see a kid on a holiday? Noise! Excitement! I can't sit still! Food! Running! These are not the things that make for a smooth transition into a new home. Your newest family member needs a calm, quiet comforting environment while he or she learns where things are, adjust to all the weird smells, sounds, and activity. Where do I eat? Where do I sleep? Where do I potty? Mistakes are going to happen, and that is more likely when there is chaos and confusion. Also a kid hyped up on a holiday is going to lose focus on how much attention is being given to this little life.

It is helpful to remember that a pet is much like a human baby - it needs food, sleep, shelter, care. It is not going to be able to tell you exactly how to hold it and what makes it happiest. You will have to find out.

Please... if there is any kindness you can give another living creature, it is this: celebrate your holidays, then after life goes back to normal, welcome your new baby home when you can give it full attention and help it become a valued member of the family.

Also, realize the limitations of your household. I have several times been asked why I no longer have a little one. I love them, and would love nothing more than to go to a shelter and save one from a fate that they never asked for. I also realize that I live in an environment that is not fit for a little one. There is no place to run, to stretch, to play. I can not afford the possibility of expensive medical care (this is something that should be seen as a "when," not an "if."

Before you adopt a pet, ask yourself: do I have enough funds on reserve to handle an emergency? Can I provide for the dailiy needs of this little one? If you can honestly answer no -- and yes, I know the heart wants what it wants, but it is the head that has to do the thinking -- please do the honorable thing and do not adopt the little one. What you can do is support those in need: donate to spay/neuter programs. Ask shelters or vets what they need: food, old comfotable usable bedding, etc. If you can't take care of one of your own, you might ease the burden of someone who can. Most veterinary hospitals have an emergency fund in case of dire emergency. Most vets that I have met would move heaven and earth to save any animal that has a chance, and do not want to be limited by dollars. I know several happy stories that were made possible by generous people who gave sometimes a few cents or the savings from grocery coupons. Don't have the mentality that "it's a drop in the bucket." Each drop counts, and even the largest ocean is made up of several drops of water.

If you do have a friend with fur, feathers, fins, etc.... Give them an extra dose of love from those of us who love "critters" but don't have the right kind of home for them. And be nice to all the pet lovers who were responsible enough not to bring a little one into a household that wasn't right for them. It's tough to walk by a little one in need and not bring him or her home, but it is the right thing if the right conditions can not be provided.

I agree completely...I have 4 cats and a dog. I live in the country, so they have plenty of space to roam and play. I would never dream of giving, and hope no one will give me an animal...living, breathing, with needs and a need for love and companionship for Christmas. I spent $280 dollars spaying 2 cats and neutering my dog. The shots cost another $174. I do not begrudge at all the money I spent on them; it is definitely a huge consideration, however. The food costs (dry food for all, + treats) runs around $80 per month, and flea/tick medication and heart worm medication rums another $50 per month...so, if you are not willing or able to shell out some serious cash, do something different than give/receive pets at any time, especially holidays.

Br. Devon I thank you very much for your entire post. I must repeat though two lines:

Please... if there is any kindness you can give another living creature, it is this: celebrate your holidays, then after life goes back to normal, welcome your new baby home when you can give it full attention and help it become a valued member of the family.

And as well, hopefully all shelters take the same stance as those around here do and no black kittens or puppies are adopted out during the month of October. Horror stories have been in every major newspaper across the country about selfish, ritualizing pin-heads over Sowain and All Hallows Eve.

Blessings of Peace,

make a rat smile. give it a brownie.

I don't see what feeding a future Girl Scout to a rat is going to do to make it happy. Surely it won't do anything for scouting. Besides, if you run out of Brownies, you won't have any more Girl Scout cookies.

Br. Devon I thank you very much for your entire post. I must repeat though two lines:

And as well, hopefully all shelters take the same stance as those around here do and no black kittens or puppies are adopted out during the month of October. Horror stories have been in every major newspaper across the country about selfish, ritualizing pin-heads over Sowain and All Hallows Eve.

Blessings of Peace,

so what's the deal with black kittens and puppies? I know black cats are familiars ( I have 2, but got them from the animal shelter for companionship - last June, by the way- not even a holiday or ritual thought was considered, although I think providence maybe brought them to me. I also got 2 gray cats at the same time. both spayed. Anyway, back top the question...do people get the black cats during Samhain and All hallow's Eve for the novelty and them ditch the cats/dogs or not care for them- is that what you are referring to? I hope not. If it is done, it must be by very crude people, and no one at ULC I hope...One more question - is it a no no for me to mention another site - in relation to my being a witch - on here?

so what's the deal with black kittens and puppies? I know black cats are familiars ( I have 2, but got them from the animal shelter for companionship - last June, by the way- not even a holiday or ritual thought was considered, although I think providence maybe brought them to me. I also got 2 gray cats at the same time. both spayed. Anyway, back top the question...do people get the black cats during Samhain and All hallow's Eve for the novelty and them ditch the cats/dogs or not care for them- is that what you are referring to? I hope not. If it is done, it must be by very crude people, and no one at ULC I hope...One more question - is it a no no for me to mention another site - in relation to my being a witch - on here?

In the past, black kitten and puppies have been used by very low moral people (IMHO) for ritualistic sacrifices and why few shelters will adopt them out anywhere near Halloween (Samhain etc) I once had an all black fluffy kitty that went missing a day before Halloween. Incredulously, as I looked through the neighbors fence, the kids had it and well I wont cause nightmares. I got him back, thankfully and I did prosecute the parents for cruelty to animals....a whole $85 ticket in those days. The kids were like 7-8 of all things. Kitty disappeared not long after that, but no proof of wrong by the same people.

I'd tell more of the story, but prob not appropriate for this forum. :busted_cop:

Just don't link to the other forum you mentioned, or if ya like PM Admin (mdtaylor or ed crain or murph) for clarification before your post it.

Blessings Be,

Sadly, in my neck of the woods, vets have an office pool as to when the first one will hear of a black cat being sacrificed. Disgusting, but true.

I am happy to say that all the reputable shelters and agencies will NOT allow black cats to be adopted near the holiday. A lot of area shelters are doing a very honorable thing and having "adoption processes." Instead of just walking in and walking out with the first pet that catches the eye, they are having people front the money for the spay or neuter and vaccinations. (Let's be blunt and honest here - if you can't afford that, you also could not afford emergency care, and therefore have no business adopting a pet.) Around the holidays, local agencies have a cooling off period. You can adopt your friend, but you have to coome visit him or her at the shelter, and play in a supervised environment. You will also need to have a signed letter from a vet showing that you have scheduled your first well care visits. A couple area shelters have clauses on their adoption papers that clearly state that adoptive families will need to produce evidence of having a vet, and failure to keep routine care visits will result in a request for a welfare check from the authorities, and where warranted, a charge of animal neglect and/or cruelty. I am all for a cooling off period, and having an adoptive family pay for boarding during that time. If you seriously care for this pet, and want to adopt him or her into the family, these are reasonable precautions and expenses. It also softens the transition to a new home, because your new friend has a chance to learn your scent, enjoy your company, develop a sense of trust (oh look! The human has come to play with me again!). I would prefer to adopt a pet from a shelter that has a cooling off period because it allows the pet to adjust, and also shows the shelter is not a holding tank for unwanted animals, but sincerely cares about what happens after they leave.