~ Thank you for this topic Tündér :cheers: Good one! :biggrinthumb:

Yeah, sorry, I'm gonna add in my thoughts. You're all welcome to ignore, no prob!

Personally, I find the exclusionist concept of most religious beliefs difficult.

I feel if one's beliefs support a person to be a better person & gives them comfort, then that's wonderful!

I'm certainly never going to deny love or comfort to a child of mine just because they defy or ignore me, I find that a difficult concept.

Anyone that in whatever way is kind towards others & gentle towards the world, you're all welcome in my existence :wub:

First, as a precolonial Hindu, one is merely perplexed and amused by the Christian insistence on the need for forgiveness for acts not committed, or for the gift of paradise by the worship of a dead man. As to displeasure, you do not feel it from God but from the ministering Christian instead, which does not cause you to be drawn to them or their beliefs. Particularly, since they had been at it in India since the first century and are nothing new, nor have they made much impact on Indian culture.

As Joseph Campbell quoted D.T. Suzuki on his view of Christianity, "God against man. Man against God. Man against nature. Nature against man. Nature against God. God against nature. Very funny religion!"

I have an analogy I like to use when talking to folks who believe there is but one true path.

Imagine that we are standing in various places around the world, and our common destination is at the North pole. If you examine the direction I choose when starting from Edinburgh, it would lead in a very strange direction - possibly underground, off into space, or simply in a weird direction when starting from Santiago or Mumbai or Los Angeles. Even when very close to the goal, those coming from Asia would appear to be heading in the opposite direction to those coming from the Americas. Yet we all have the same goal in mind.

Tündér, let us really asume that you are a Hindu born in the Punjab. You have just arrived and asked me a simple priest the question if only Christians are saved. Here is my answer:

Our beloved Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa (1836-1886) used to say that the Beloved One was like a loving mother who must prepare food for a small family. She only has fish to offer her family: her husband likes soup, one of the children likes the fish boiled, the other child likes it fried. In her love she will offer each member of her family the fish the way each of them likes it. God -- the beloved saint used to say -- has offered mankind different religions according to their needs. Some need saviors, like the Christians, others need very complex rituals, others do not like the word God, others enjoy many Gods, etc. To each the Beloved One has given a different path.

When we read from the Rig Veda, the oldest of our sacred books, we find the following: "They call Him Indra, Mitra, Varuna, Agni, and He is the heavenly-winged Garutman. To what is One the sages have given different Names: the call It Agni, Yama, Matarishvan" (Rig Veda I:164:46). The Isha Upanshad says in the first verse, "The Lord is enshrined in the heart of all. The Lord is the Supreme Reality." Look deep within your heart, and you will find the Beloved One.

There have been many saints in the different religions of the world, and all of them have said that they have had the experience of God. Some call it salvation, others call it enlightenment. You can find Spiritual Enlightenment (Moksha) in every religion.

Some Christians believe that it is only through Jesus Christ; there are Hindus that believe that it is only through Sri Krishna. But these are only instruments of the Supreme. You may even find Moksha by not believing in any religion. So do not fear, learn to have a mind of Understanding, and a heart of Loving-Compassion, and I am sure that you will find the Beloved One.

• Amulet locked this topic