Man: Good, Evil, Or Undecided?

Ex Nihilo

Man: Good, Evil, or Undecided?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is man naturally inclined to good or evil?

• Man is naturally inclined to be good
    • Man is naturally inclined to be evil
    • Individuals are generally inclined to be good but ,as a race, humanity (or society) is inclined to evil
    • Individuals are generally inclined to be evil but ,as a race, humanity (or society) is inclined to good
    • Everybody's different, man...people are just people y'know
    • Good and Evil do not exist independently from the mind, thus there is only what is beneficial or detrimental to the individual (or group)
    • All of creation (not just man) is broken and in constant need of divine grace to elevate itself from its mean and lowly existence
    • This is the best of all possible worlds and men, as they are, are the best of all possible men
    • It is what it is. Don't look for the universe to make sense, for there is no sense to be made. Just atoms and molecules doing what they do
    • God is all. Men are manifestations of God and represent the eternal light that is God. God encompasses all existence so it is inaccurate to speak of God as either good or evil for God is both and more, so it is with man. There is no good/evil only God

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no time--but--in short man was created perfect--we get into trouble because of free will--we get cut off from God temporarily--but we shall all be united, just matter of``time`` to god. whence from whom we have preceded and shall procede. Like a leaf on a tree, we are all part of the tree.

There is no good or evil, seems like it only--What we do comes back, as we are each connected , thus we do it unto ourselves--However I believe--like Origen--that we are perfect and are all will be saved, even the fallen angels. I have no time now.. :derisive:

blessings,

S

Edited by Tündér

Good and Evil are relative terms which have no meaning when one is focused on sheer beingness, however having ones focus in the dualistic environment in which the label "Man" has it's existence I would have to say that Mankind minus ego is basically good. The larger and more fearful the ego is that dwells within certain Men and Societies the less good they become.

So, what's man's prob?

The "problem" is all in the eyes of the beholder.

I'm hesitant to use your word evil, but as I do, understand that I may mean something slightly different.

Progressives will tell you man is mostly evil and thus must inevitably be controlled. There can ultimately be no private winners....and thus fairness is "achieved" and defined as forced, and of course false, equality.

Conservatives will tell you man is no angel, but nevertheless on the whole is inherently good; and as such requires a minimal social construct as a sheild and at the same time the freedom to pursue our own individual happiness.....win or lose, equal only in the sense as it pertains to the application of just law.

Oh, and other things, too... :shades2:

~ Only do to other folk what you would want them do to you... { & if they like that sorta stuff too ;) }

... Not a terribly difficult concept. That's good ;)

I believe humans are good.

Just often tired & frustrated.

Afraid are the times when humans are awful.

Good or evil is not something you are, it is something you do.

We are all capable of both. We we can choose to do either.

I think most people see themselves as good, and try to do the best they can. For many, though, there are other competing goals. Good is not their main focus. In particular being seen to be "good" is often mistaken for genuinely striving for good.

• 2 weeks later...

Good and evil are choices. Not in the abstract but in our actions. It is an ongoing process determined by free-will and by our character. Our character in turn develops from past actions. It accumulates.

what determines an action as good or evil? Intent? Results? Means used? Can an evil person (who accumulated his evil nature over several bad acts) do good? Can a person who means to do evil still be good if his action unintentionally does good? What if the accumulated evil acts that make a person evil are just a lot of small evils, like stealing pens and speeding, can one good deed, if it's really big, outweigh all those little evil deeds? Moreover, what if a person has accumulated 50.1% good deeds, is that enough to be good? What about the other way? What happens if someone is 50.1% evil, will he be punished? But what if some of the good deeds he's done are really good? Will the 50.1% good person escape punishment? But what if some of his bad deeds are really bad? What about the person who is right at the halfway point, are they good or evil? So people start out good or evil or neutral when they're born. Is a person who unknowingly commitsevil still be accounted as evil for the accumulation of evil acts committed without his knowledge? What bout the other way? This is an interesting concept but it does open the doors to a lot of questions. Edited by Rev'd Rattlesnake

Its important to distinguish evil from sin. I think that evil is often the result of sin. Men do evil, but no good comes of it, because its derived from sin. When God employs evil, its for a greater good. Sin is disobedience to God, anything outside of the righteousness of God is sin. Evil is generally a consequence of sin, good is the complete absence of sin... JMO

Great post Dan! Let me ask you, if someone is faithful, ie, they believe in God and choose to obey Christ and be in relationship with them...but still occasionally sins, doesn't your definition still make them evil? Yet aren't they declared righteous in the eyes of God? I've always wondered about this...

~ Yep, definitions again, huh? ;)

Snake mentioned "stealing pens & speeding"... is that 'Evil'?

It's illegal.

To me 'Evil' is harming others in whatever way & not caring or even taking pleasure in it.

{ Not counting consensual encounters, whatever makes everyone happy! ;) }

I believe that most everyone does not intend harm to others.

Some do. But not the majority.

Isn't stealing other people's property and driving at reckless or unreasonable speeds harming others, or at least don't they have the potential to harm others? I can imagine where lack of a pen could be harmful, regardless of the disregard it shows for boundaries and respect for other people.

Edited by Rev'd Rattlesnake

• Amulet locked this topic