I disagree, go to Thailand and China and see with your own eyes.

I have been to Thailand and disagree with you--maybe it seems so that the images are worshipped, maybe some do that, but the actual `faith` does not say that at all--it is symbolism. As with Catholics, we don`t pray to statues or images either which many think, they are simply reminders for us to remember!That is why new churches are rather bare of statues and images as to dispel these assumptions.

blessings and peace,

S

Edited by Tündér
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to Thailand and disagree with you--maybe it seems so that the images are worshipped, maybe some do that, but the actual `faith` does not say that at all--it is symbolism.

Not only are they worshiped they are also prayed to, the same way a Christian prays to God if he wants something done. Particularly the Thai form of Buddhism is loaded with image worshiping.

But, hey, that is of course not the 'real' Buddhism, just take a 'new age' class on Buddhism then surely one can dictate that the 'fuzzy bear new age Western' interpretation must be the interpretation of everybody who calls themselves Buddhist and otherwise they are simply wrong, sort of like Westerners who 'take' a T'ai Chi class and then, with authority, make all kind of claims about Chinese martial arts and medicine.

Not only are they worshiped they are also prayed to, the same way a Christian prays to God if he wants something done. Particularly the Thai form of Buddhism is loaded with image worshiping.

But, hey, that is of course not the 'real' Buddhism, just take a 'new age' class on Buddhism then surely one can dictate that the 'fuzzy bear new age Western' interpretation must be the interpretation of everybody who calls themselves Buddhist and otherwise they are simply wrong, sort of like Westerners who 'take' a T'ai Chi class and then, with authority, make all kind of claims about Chinese martial arts and medicine.

Perhaps it's just my experience, but Buddhism is generally one of the most tolerant in accepting those who choose to worship according to their own hearts. That philosophy seems much more important than dissecting the particular paths they follow. I can understand that you have different beliefs about God, what I don't yet understand is why you feel it necessary to tear down those who don't share your point of view. The way you consistently attack everything religious and everyone who doesn't conform to your ideal causes me to suspect you're either very deeply wounded and lashing out in your pain, or you're just here as a shill to sow discord for the CCP. Newt shared a very lovely poem expressing the beauty he sees in the world; the way Buddhists express themselves in Thailand and the Western interpretations of T'ai Chi are irrelevant. This was certainly not the topic for you to derisively interject your opinion, and calling it "mumbo-jumbo" was a callous response to his gift of creation and nothing more than attempt to disrupt his wa. If you can't reply respectfully and in appropriate places then I suggest you keep your mouth shut until you grow up.

Edited by Kingfisher

Perhaps it's just my experience, but Buddhism is generally one of the most tolerant in accepting those who choose to worship according to their own hearts. That philosophy seems much more important than dissecting the particular paths they follow. I can understand that you have different beliefs about God, what I don't yet understand is why you feel it necessary to tear down those who don't share your point of view.

I suggest you read better what I am actually writing, I am not tearing down anything, I simply state the facts.

I have made extensive studies about world religion, including Buddhism. I lived in China and have visited Thailand many times. How about you, what do you actually know about Buddhism to criticize me?

And what is wrong about dissection religious paths?

Buddhism is more than the Dalai Lama.

Edited by Hyper Real

I suggest you read better what I am actually writing, I am not tearing down anything, I simply state the facts.

I have made extensive studies about world religion, including Buddhism. I lived in China and have visited Thailand many times. How about you, what do you actually know about Buddhism to criticize me?

And what is wrong about dissection religious paths?

Buddhism is more than the Dalai Lama.

I'm not criticizing your facts, Buddhism has always included a wide range of beliefs and rituals. I'm taking issue primarily with your first comment and questioning your motives for including such divisive debate in this thread. Continuing to argue this point is just a deflection.

I'm taking issue primarily with your first comment and questioning your motives for including such divisive debate in this thread. Continuing to argue this point is just a deflection.

This is not the first time you resort to personal attacks against me on this forum, please stop doing that. If you have personal issues with me you may contact me by sending a private message, however I will not promise a reply, that all depends on the nature of the message.

But certainly these personal attacks do not belong here, cease and desist please.

Just a-wondering --is this forum a place to trying to find a common a denominator within religions, belief systems and understandings--or is this place a forum to find more arguments, differences within and amongst our different beliefs. If we follow the latter path--all that comes out is more tension, agression, antagonism and negativity. Aren`t we suppose to try and undersand the other--we don`t have to accept it, but respect it and try to understand it--see with `heart` where the other is coming from.

What does it matter in the realm of things who believes or what an other believes if it makes them a better person? Whether one prays to a statue or an image or to the entire Greek pantheon, whether the rearl Buddhism or Hinduism is if you go study in an Ashram only-- If this place , the ULC is a philosiphical way in accepting all and trying to find compromise, peace and serenity --then we should all simply pat each other on the back --and say, `well done the way you are follwing your path and nice to understand more about your faith`--for it all leads to the same place--. Well for most. Please don`t ask me where, for I shall not dignify it with an answer.

This is not a comparative religion course at university where every detail has to be examined, proven and shown that it is the exact theology, philosophy or written truth according to `the ` texts. Then I shall go once more back to university and take some more comparative religion, as well as theology classes.

This , place, maybe I am insane--as we most seem to be, have different ideas of creating a better environment for our future, for the world and the whole human species. Maybe very`new age`--but hey, it makes all kind of `woo-woos` to make up the world, consider me one.

Only my humble observation, it is not a Phd that makes a person--a cousin of mine always says, a Phd is just `Piled higher and deeper--and he has 2 Phd`s in science--a measure of a man is how he respects others, life, nature and the whole of creation-and lives a noble life and the world becomes a better by them/ me being here.

blessings and peace,

S

Edited by Tündér

This is not the first time you resort to personal attacks against me on this forum, please stop doing that. If you have personal issues with me you may contact me by sending a private message, however I will not promise a reply, that all depends on the nature of the message.

But certainly these personal attacks do not belong here, cease and desist please.

I don't have personal issues with you, I have an issue with your public behavior and I'm not the only one. I'm not attacking you, I'm urging you to stop attacking everyone else. Now you want to play the victim? I didn't want to resort to using this feature, but don't worry... you are now ignored.

Thanks for sharing that poem Newt, I'm not going to apologize for standing up for ya.

I disagree, go to Thailand and China and see with your own eyes.

One of the advantages of living in New York City is that a great deal of experiences are available without travel.

I have been initiated to Medicine Buddha and White Tara. Both in an authentic Tibetan Buddhist lineage. They came with ceremonies to help me see myself as having their properties -- a true self personification of healing forces.

It is all symbolism.

yup i wrote it

newt!

the words you shared seems to have caused a little bit of a tempest in a teapot, huh? that happens sometimes, no worries. I think the sentiments you shared could be enjoyed/embraced by anyone if they simply inserted the deity or idea of their choosing - you're talking about when your heart fills up and you're like, damn, this is a pretty incredible moment/life

right?

I saw god in john's smile at the end :)

Ditto.

Blessings of Peace,

yup i wrote it

:thumbu:

Just a-wondering --is this forum a place to trying to find a common a denominator within religions, belief systems and understandings--or is this place a forum to find more arguments, differences within and amongst our different beliefs. If we follow the latter path--all that comes out is more tension, agression, antagonism and negativity. Aren`t we suppose to try and undersand the other--we don`t have to accept it, but respect it and try to understand it--see with `heart` where the other is coming from.

:thumbu:

• 4 weeks later...

~ Newt, Thank you very much! That was lovely :)

{ Sorry fo such a muss-up over a straight-forward expression of joy... Discussions often wander about, don't they :lol:

What does it matter in the realm of things who believes or what an other believes if it makes them a better person? Whether one prays to a statue or an image or to the entire Greek pantheon, whether the rearl Buddhism or Hinduism is if you go study in an Ashram only-- If this place , the ULC is a philosiphical way in accepting all and trying to find compromise, peace and serenity --then we should all simply pat each other on the back --and say, `well done the way you are follwing your path and nice to understand more about your faith`--for it all leads to the same place--. Well for most. Please don`t ask me where, for I shall not dignify it with an answer.

This is not a comparative religion course at university where every detail has to be examined, proven and shown that it is the exact theology, philosophy or written truth according to `the ` texts. Then I shall go once more back to university and take some more comparative religion, as well as theology classes.

This , place, maybe I am insane--as we most seem to be, have different ideas of creating a better environment for our future, for the world and the whole human species. Maybe very`new age`--but hey, it makes all kind of `woo-woos` to make up the world, consider me one.

Only my humble observation, it is not a Phd that makes a person--a cousin of mine always says, a Phd is just `Piled higher and deeper--and he has 2 Phd`s in science--a measure of a man is how he respects others, life, nature and the whole of creation-and lives a noble life and the world becomes a better by them/ me being here.

~ Quetzal, that's wonderful! :drinks::friends:

Rev Rainbow,

I normally wouldn't have watched the video, but Praise God I did. If that was your son, he is AMAZING! I do not know his story, but I do thank you for allowing us to see how his light shines.

and thank you reverend troy for reminding me that vietnam speaks :)

I watched the video again because I saw your post (sometimes I hum it to myself, amazing, right?)

• 3 months later...

i just wanna say as a Universalist i respect all faiths religions and creeds, rather you monothiest , polytheist , or nontheist it matters not to me , the poems is mostly toward believers of god/gods but again i mean no disrespect to athiest and agnostice i respect you all to.

• Amulet locked this topic