A New Dog

grateful

I don't want to disappoint, there will be no cute puppy pictures for a while, I was having a conversation with myself regarding all rescue all the time or buying a pup from someone above reproach for the love of a breed. I am torn.

For the last twenty five years, I have shared my home and my heart with four fabulous dogs. The first was a pup purchased from a breeder as a pet. He died, it was tragic, at fifteen weeks. It was just one of those things though, he somehow contracted parvo, our vet missed the initial diagnosis, he died at a vet hospital after a week of trying, poor baby.

After about six months, I adopted a beautiful, shy, silly dog named Milo. He was about two, he lived with me for twelve long, happy years. We fostered two dogs over the next year, both went on to loving homes :). then came Nori, she was supposed to stay for a few days but decided she really liked me and that she would stay, thank you very much .. for fourteen years.

Himself, the traveling dog and mayor of his new dog park, is almost eight, he's been a most loyal and lovely companion for the last seven years (here's to many more). I will always have a rescue dog in my house, they've got good karma (!)

But when I consider my next addition, I want it to be a pup - while I still have the energy and enthusiasm to do what it takes. I know that many, including dear friends, are absolutely, positively against buying from a breeder ever - not even talking about backyard breeders and factory farm breeding of companion animals - that's another story - but pure bred dogs in general.

I grew up with Setters, I understand them, I know what to expect, I love them. Because of years of involvement with their Rescue (the head of the rescue and the gun club fostered my dog for six weeks until I could collect him) I know exactly who I am dealing with and know that they do what they do for love of the breed. Period.

I am not against dog breeding. I am against breeding dogs for profit without the knowledge, skill and money to care from them properly. I am one hundred percent against the "factory farming" of dogs and cats, backyard breeders without integrity (see above) and purchasing from pet stores or over the internet.

I believe that ultimately, the dog you were meant to have shows up, maybe the one who will come in next will be that pup I've been thinking of, maybe not :)

I don't want to disappoint, there will be no cute puppy pictures for a while, I was having a conversation with myself regarding all rescue all the time or buying a pup from someone above reproach for the love of a breed. I am torn.

I believe that ultimately, the dog you were meant to have shows up, maybe the one who will come in next will be that pup I've been thinking of, maybe not :)

Whoever shows up is the one for you-- always is. I have had a few loves in my life--for me it mattered not what they were :cupidarrow: , how old or how they looked :derisive: --and believe me they choose us!

blessings and peace--may you find a wonderful new family member!

S

Edited by sarkany

We have had many a rescue dog but like you I wanted a specific breed and a puppy this time, it took me months to find the breeder of dobermans I chose, they breed one liter a year, the dogs all live in the house as part of the family, I went to their home, saw the sir and dame (loved them they were really good dogs) and bought our wonderful Betty.

Yes I know many dogs need rescuing still, but I also know this breed, love them, and wanted a puppy. I don't regret it she is wonderful and training so well, she will have a great life and that to me is the important thing, to give a dog, any dog a good life.

We have had many a rescue dog but like you I wanted a specific breed and a puppy this time, it took me months to find the breeder of dobermans I chose, they breed one liter a year, the dogs all live in the house as part of the family, I went to their home, saw the sir and dame (loved them they were really good dogs) and bought our wonderful Betty.

Yes I know many dogs need rescuing still, but I also know this breed, love them, and wanted a puppy. I don't regret it she is wonderful and training so well, she will have a great life and that to me is the important thing, to give a dog, any dog a good life.

absolutely

(and more pictures of betty pls!)

"Sett" on the subject for a few days....your heart deserves to be granted love now and again as well. Your reward for all the rescue work should be one you choose my friend. I-wish-u-setter this issue soon! :) Pick out your lovely!!

I had a "red" setter for a short time...sort of a foster deal....and she was the dearest critter, unfortunately I was down with foot surgery and could not keep up with her. The kind folks that decided to help me out took "Ernestine" and well....she went straight "home". I could not bear to take her back after 10 weeks of watching her settle in to her new family....she fell in love with the clan and the clan absolutely loved her back. She is around 16 or 17 now.

There will always be rescues to deal with, but every now and then you should be allowed to pick the flavor!!

Blessings of Peace,

"Sett" on the subject for a few days....your heart deserves to be granted love now and again as well. Your reward for all the rescue work should be one you choose my friend. I-wish-u-setter this issue soon! :) Pick out your lovely!!

I had a "red" setter for a short time...sort of a foster deal....and she was the dearest critter, unfortunately I was down with foot surgery and could not keep up with her. The kind folks that decided to help me out took "Ernestine" and well....she went straight "home". I could not bear to take her back after 10 weeks of watching her settle in to her new family....she fell in love with the clan and the clan absolutely loved her back. She is around 16 or 17 now.

There will always be rescues to deal with, but every now and then you should be allowed to pick the flavor!!

Blessings of Peace,

:)

ah the red, I grew up with them, still remember casey and kelly like it was yesterday, great dogs, great memories - I've had those situations too where someone helped me out caring for mine then I didn't have the heart to ask the dog or the family if they could come back..

we are looking for a slightly larger place (looks like we won't be heading back east any time soon) for the new year, big enough to have my own business and to accommodate a new one with four legs and a fur suit :) I'm doing pet boarding on my own now, it's fun but to move forward I need to provide a better space for my visitors.

I've corresponded with the head of our rescue, and she is planning a litter in the next year ( :)), that is where I'm leaning. In the god forbid column, when my sweet boy moves on I'll have a senior from golden gate rescue - which is also on my to do list..