Nostradarnit

This past weekend, I came across a leather-bound edition of The Prophesies of Nostradamus for $0.50 (Score!!) at the local thrift shop. I've enjoyed reading the couplets. His final one reads:

"Long awaited, he will never come in Europe

He will appear in Asia

One issued from the Great Hermes

He will be over all the kings of the East."

Is this the coming Christ? Antichrist? Anyone care to interpret?? Does anyone find his predictions to be prophetic?

As a kid, I watched the Orson Wells documentary about Nostradamus. It showed the third antichrist coming from the middle east. It showed him sending missiles to NYC and one missed its target(...maybe it could have been ariplanes used as missiles...hmmm). This was to initiate a third world war. It scared the bejeezus out of me because they said the war would start in 1996, the year I graduated from highschool. I just knew I was doomed for the draft.

I gave up on Nostradamus back in 1999 when the Anti-Christ didn't reign down with fire as predicted. It may have occurred in another parallel Universe but we aren't on that path any more so his predictions hold no relevance for me.

I'm with ya Fawzo, for a good ten years I was awe struck with Nostradamus and believed whole heartedly in his "amazing abilities"....then I took a college philosophies class focusing on Comparative Beliefs.

The professor selected 20, 25 of the most "prophetic" prophecies, broke out the world maps of 15th and 16th century world to current and a list of all prominent people, world leaders etc etc then, in between and 1998.

Any one of each prophecy could be related to several people throughout history....those that read them in Nostradamus' time or any century between then and now. Each period had a relatively prominent figure that each might apply to as I'm sure it will be 100, 500 and 1,000 years from now. Since then I don't believe Nos' "gift" was prophecy, rather an excellent charge of language and human psyche.

I've played Devil's Advocate a few times since, supporting Nostradamus, but only to get people to think!

Blessings Be,

He will appear in Asia

~ Wasn't Hermes the winged messenger?

Maybe he was just talking about the fast shipping of goods to your nearest Walmart :dntknw:

FTD uses Hermes as it's mascot to show the speed of its floral delivery. Does it have an Asian presence? Do they refuse to deliver in Europe (or lose your order?)

Dunno... but it would be a funky coincidence if the above was the case.

And we know practically nothing appearing in Walmart wasn't originated in Asia, so that one is a probable, too. How much european goods are sold there? Can't say I recall any in quick memory (that's Target that is French, right?).

I was introduced to Nostradamus many years ago--it made perfect sense in the beginning--probably because it seemed a long distance into the future, but then I realized one could interpret it in many ways. And as Atwater Witki pointed out, the predictions can be plugged in like an equation into any age. That part that you quoted is referred to the coming of the Anti-Christ--generally, however as you pointed out--time is difficult to predict. By now we should be living in the Golden Age if the predictions were true.

For me--though being a Christian--Revelations seem to be in the same vein when it comes to prognostications. But maybe on the morning following December 21/2012 when I wake up on a planet in a distant galaxy I may just say`Hollyyyyyyyyy--some were right on the mark` :derisive: though I still will bet on the idea--that I shall be celebrating the 31st December/2012 with my family, like usual.

I think man forever hopes to know future events of ones life. We so long to know the mind of God--which I doubt we shall never know.

blessings and peace,

S

Edited by sarkany

He will appear in Asia

Hermes is not only a messenger, but also has governance over trade, economy, writing, the guidance of souls, and thievery; just to name a few. From a standpoint of a worshiper of Hermes, this "prophecy" could refer to a great number of things.

http://www.hogueprophecy.com/2009/05/is-ray-mabus-nostradamus-mabus/

entury 2 Quatrain 62:

Mabus puis tost alors mourra, viendra,

De gens & bestes vne horrible defaite:

Puis tout  coup la vengeance on verra,

Cent, main, soif, faim, quand courra la comete.

Mabus very soon then will die, [then] will come,

A horrible undoing of people and animals,

At once one will see vengeance,

One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass.

Nostradamus (1555)

The dude in the link above suggests that Ray Mabus could be the Mabus indicated in the prophecy. I wonder if that topic comes up at White House dinner parties! :clown(1):

~ Yep.

Nostradamus probably was one of the early crafters of Walmart...

{Explains a lot actually ;) }

Century I Quatrain XII did indeed predict your worst fear Q!

"There will soon be talk of a treacherous man, who rules a short time,

quickly raised from low to high estate.

He will suddenly turn disloyal and volatile.

This man will govern Verona."

Wasn't there rumor of the Walton boys moving to Wisconsin?....Verona possibly? Must be the only town in America without a Wally World!? :rofl:

(Q- ? in PM to you.)

Blessings of Peace,

Century I Quatrain XII did indeed predict your worst fear Q!

"There will soon be talk of a treacherous man, who rules a short time,

quickly raised from low to high estate.

He will suddenly turn disloyal and volatile.

This man will govern Verona."

Wasn't there rumor of the Walton boys moving to Wisconsin?....Verona possibly? Must be the only town in America without a Wally World!? :rofl:

(Q- ? in PM to you.)

Blessings of Peace,

New York City does not have a Walmart. Let Verona rejoice. They are not the only one.

~ Seriously, don't most prophets predict about events quite in the future? & vaguely... like a palm reader only evidently with MUCH more charisma.

So if they're wrong, who's gonna give 'em grief? The future they predict eventually may have similarities to some phrases & war's a no-brainer :( .

A Prophet's main ambition is to profit! This is understandable due to the professional level of a phet luminosity....which is something like 10,000 phet to 1 lux so deluxe it is. On the other hand a professional fit I would think refers to a seamstress, which they do a good job does lead to prophesying profits.

:unsure:

Wait a second, I think I got topics mixed up with the good Bishop's hamster standing on its head taking medications while sleeping in his wheel....now that's a prophecy just waiting to happen!

:rofl:

~ Seriously, don't most prophets predict about events quite in the future? & vaguely... like a palm reader only evidently with MUCH more charisma.

So if they're wrong, who's gonna give 'em grief? The future they predict eventually may have similarities to some phrases & war's a no-brainer :( .

Like the prophets in the Bible? Actually, Bible prophecy had two forms. One is predictive in nature. This is what will happen.

Another form was the blessing and curse prophecy. If you do such and such, this will happen. If you do such and such instead, that will happen. It was how the prophets blessed and cursed the people -- and maintained their own authority.

Hermes is not only a messenger, but also has governance over trade, economy, writing, the guidance of souls, and thievery; just to name a few. From a standpoint of a worshiper of Hermes, this "prophecy" could refer to a great number of things.

Yes. Just think of all the people who pray to Hermes without knowing it. Since Hermes was the messenger of the gods and god of the road -- nobody else appreciated good footwear like him. To this day, gamblers call out -- "C'mon seven! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!"

It is amazing how the old gods live on.

:)

• Amulet locked this topic