Do You Consider Yourself To Be A Pacifist?

ARE YOU A PACIFIST?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be a pacifist?

• I am a pacifist
    • I am not a pacifist
    • Sometime I am and sometimes I'm not a pacifist
    • Depends on the subject or situation
    • I don't know

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few animals kill for sport--man does . Generally animals do not hunt more than they eat. So infact animals are pacifists in a way.I equate pacifism with unnecessary violence before exploring other alternatives to resolving the issue. This does not mean that one should not defend oneself especially when it comes to survival. One can be a survivalist and a pacifist.

As for the mind of God--no one knows--I agree with you--not even Einstein, Hawking, Dawkins, Davies nor I.

Einstein said: `God is the garden and the gardener`. Perhaps that is the closest then we shall come to it.

Hawking puts it rather succinctly: `If we do discover a theory of everything...it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason--for then we would truly know the mind of God`. Will it happen? We all have our personal beliefs--all of us are correct. Maybe Bohr was correct in that God does play dice, but then maybe Einstein was right in that God just dosn`t.

peace and blessings,

S

Cats kill for pleasure. All animals will fight to the death to survive, with the exception of some humans.

So you both agree that some animals kill for reasons other than hunger. Sure, it also happens as a result of protection, defense, and even randomness. Animals are animals. But I don't think that is the point. The point is, is it natural to be a pacifist? And of course the natural answer is no.

So you both agree that some animals kill for reasons other than hunger. Sure, it also happens as a result of protection, defense, and even randomness. Animals are animals. But I don't think that is the point. The point is, is it natural to be a pacifist? And of course the natural answer is no.

All animals will kill if they have to. Most human animals will kill when they have to. Some animals and humans will kill because it is fun. Some humans will not kill animals even to eat. Some humans marched peacefully into the gas chambers even after being told where they were going. (let us please not let this become a Hitler discussion)

What is rarer a Verisoph siting or a Blue Moon?

Great to see you again.

Fawzo, I'm honored.

welcome back soph.

Thank you, Mark

Could you please define 'natural'.

All animals will kill if they have to. Most human animals will kill when they have to. Some animals and humans will kill because it is fun. Some humans will not kill animals even to eat. Some humans marched peacefully into the gas chambers even after being told where they were going. (let us please not let this become a Hitler discussion)

Humans are animals.

And I agree with your post; this is a frequent occurrence.

Could you please define 'natural'.

Meaning, in terms of my above and all posts, to be found in nature. I am not aware of any species that will refuse the act of violence over survival of one’s self or their offspring.

Now, you may cite some obscure spider or the radical human progressive that has lost his/her survival instincts, to which I would concede that there may be that odd and naturally evolving dysfunction. But there is sufficient data and knowledge to support that within the animal kingdom the notion of pacifism is a contrived pipe dream, and certainly a dead-end on any evolutionary chart.

Meaning, in terms of my above and all posts, to be found in nature. I am not aware of any species that will refuse the act of violence over survival of one’s self or their offspring.

Now, you may cite some obscure spider or the radical human progressive that has lost his/her survival instincts, to which I would concede that there may be that odd and naturally evolving dysfunction. But there is sufficient data and knowledge to support that within the animal kingdom the notion of pacifism is a contrived pipe dream, and certainly a dead-end on any evolutionary chart.

I do believe you're missing something. I kill all kinds of things, but I do not kill other people. I'm a pacifist, Most animals are the same, they'll kill different species, but not their own kind. Using this logic, it is pacifism that is natural. Of course I don't see what natural has to do with it.

Further, if you're going to bring evolution into the picture, you're wrong. A creature that will not kill any other creature is exactly what evolution has created ... through survival. Being something that doesn't kill is what survives best.

Being something that doesn't GET killed is what survives the best.

Not necessarily true. Imagine a creature that can kill 90% of what comes along, but only one in a thousand will find enough food to surive a single day. Compare that to a creature that wins half of the fights it gets in, yet has plenty of food.

Besides, the sentence you quoted was not meant to be taken by itself. It was part of a bigger thought,

An unheard MLK Jr interview has recently been found. In it, king defines what nonviolence means to him:

"I would ... say that it is a method which seeks to secure a moral end through moral means," he said. "And it grows out of the whole concept of love, because if one is truly nonviolent that person has a loving spirit, he refuses to inflict injury upon the opponent because he loves the opponent." http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_KING_REEL_DISCOVERY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-21-18-38-47

Beautiful words. I'm glad they've been rediscovered.

Not necessarily true. Imagine a creature that can kill 90% of what comes along, but only one in a thousand will find enough food to surive a single day. Compare that to a creature that wins half of the fights it gets in, yet has plenty of food.

Besides, the sentence you quoted was not meant to be taken by itself. It was part of a bigger thought,

Imagine a creature that doesn't get killed regardless of the fights it get in. That, too, would have an evolutionary impact. My comment was in context of the two prior sentences of yours.

Imagine a creature that doesn't get killed regardless of the fights it get in. That, too, would have an evolutionary impact. My comment was in context of the two prior sentences of yours.

It doesn't matter if there's only enough food for 1 in a 1000. Evolution involves many different aspects - the availability of food is a huge part of it.

I do believe you're missing something. I kill all kinds of things, but I do not kill other people. I'm a pacifist, Most animals are the same, they'll kill different species, but not their own kind. Using this logic, it is pacifism that is natural. Of course I don't see what natural has to do with it.

Further, if you're going to bring evolution into the picture, you're wrong. A creature that will not kill any other creature is exactly what evolution has created ... through survival. Being something that doesn't kill is what survives best.

Verisoph, long time no speak.....

So, "you kill all kinds of things!!!" As you stated?? How is that pacifism? Sounds like rationalisation to me......

Regarding your view of evolution.... the creatures you mention that will not kill to further their life are fictional. Life is different than books!

~ Hi Veri! :wub::D

Well, if everyone wants to get technical, plants couldn't see any animal, human or other as pacifist...

C'mon folks, a pacifist is simply someone that seeks a non-violent solution to a problem before just yellin' "Cowabunga! Nuke 'em!"

A peaceful protest like a sit-in instead of a riot.

A candle-lit vigil rather than a shouting match.

Pacifism doesn't necessarily mean cowardice or running away, it means striving to find a peaceful resolution to a difficulty, one not involving violence.

Verisoph, long time no speak....

Indeed. I hope all is well with you.

So, "you kill all kinds of things!!!" As you stated?? How is that pacifism? Sounds like rationalisation to me......

I kill bugs mostly. Jains are the only people I know of who try not to kill anything. If you're redefining pacifism to mean someone who won't kill anything, then by your definition, I am not a pacifist. But, this is not the definition that most people use. I suspect you know this.

Regarding your view of evolution.... the creatures you mention that will not kill to further their life are fictional.

Nonsense! Sparrows kill all sorts fo creatures, but they do not kill other sparrows, Bees will try to kill creatures that threaten their hive, even commiting suicide in the process. But, they do not kill other bees of their type. This is how most creatures behave. Have you ever heard of a cat bringing a dead cat home to it's owner.

Life is different than books!

Often, yes, What has that got to do with anything?

~ Hi Veri! :wub::D

Hello Qryos. There's not enough Dancing Muses around, that's for sure.

Well, if everyone wants to get technical, plants couldn't see any animal, human or other as pacifist...

C'mon folks, a pacifist is simply someone that seeks a non-violent solution to a problem before just yellin' "Cowabunga! Nuke 'em!"

A peaceful protest like a sit-in instead of a riot.

A candle-lit vigil rather than a shouting match.

Pacifism doesn't necessarily mean cowardice or running away, it means striving to find a peaceful resolution to a difficulty, one not involving violence.

Well said.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes, or in most things, I am a Pacifist. I am a Veteran, a gun owner and a patriot. I believe in the Non-aggression Principle. This principle equates to this...leave me alone to do as I please. Try to "force me" to do something and I'll strike back like a Pit Bull on steroids! I like to be left alone. If my life doesn't pose a threat to anyone else, leave me be.

• Amulet locked this topic