A Thinking Being.....

Youch

When I was younger one of the very first philosophies I was introduced to by my mentor was objectivism by of Ayn Rand.The first book I read was `The virtue of selfishness`, but The Fountainhead is my favourite--I prefer it to Atlas Shrugged, maybe because it is shorter. :derisive: She has many ideas that I agree with, however though the years it dosn`t appeal to me as much as it did. Too much of the ego is involved for me these days, maybe the idea stems from her Russian roots.Though Roarke`s speech is always very inspirational to a degree--maybe it is just :derisive: Gary Cooper -- but all her protagonists project much wisdom to live by, however I have learnt through the years that there is not much virtue in selfishness.

The speech below is still a favourite monologue of mine..

http://www.nasonart.com/personal/lifelessons/fountainhead.html

blessings and peace,

S

however I have learnt through the years that there is not much virtue in selfishness.

I think that a better understanding of how selfishness relates to the dynamics would be helpful. Selfishness does not require sacrifice from anyone nor does it mean that others have to serve the selfish one. It would be counter-survival to treat others that way.

Let each have what they want, actually help them achieve it but never submit to the use of force.

• Amulet locked this topic