Rescue Dogs And Cats Rule

grateful

it does, you are quite right, it says alot about you

okay, here's a story - yesterday, going to my car, I noticed that I had left the sunroof open. note to self, you must close the sunroof, critters can get in. I got in, backed down the drive and headed off to work. a few miles down the road, I saw a little face looking at me in the rear view..

george the rescue cat- stowaway

(I drove him home and went to work)

sort of a boring story but it's a start

Edited by grateful

This is Mick. He's a result of the neighbor's neglect. He was really shy and lived in the barn for a while, then he got sick and hungry. I also found a fox sleeping in there yesterday, I guess that explains what happened to the rest of his litter. I can't really afford him but he's decided he's going to stay where he can do more eating and less being eaten. He'll have to be untommed and get his shots pretty soon, but he's a really gentle cat. A few nights ago he took it upon himself to start going along on our walks. Awww. Maybe he wants to be a dog when he grows up.

mickkn.jpg

Hehehe...grateful...Kay and I were just talking about this the other day....I simply can not count the total number I/we've had over the years...but both of our 1st year baby pictures have a kitty on our laps! Kay remembers about 25-30 cats over her years (before we got together in 2000) and I simply don't know, it has to be well over 125-150...just in my 7 years in Willow Creek I cared for, spayed and neutered and found homes for over 50.

Right now we have Moki, Hemet and Me Shell, our dominant 3, Her Be (a love bug) and Jojo our 1½ yr olds, "TC" the alley cat, and recently both "Bucky" and "Moon" have come back. A neighbor's cats that prefer our vittles I guess. Stan moved out and left "Moon" last Oct. and we finally got her back to him in Jan/Feb...then about 2 months ago "Bucky" showed back up so I drove him over to Stan's new/old apt only to find he had moved back to our complex. Moon only visits the back yard, but Bucky will be found vying for lap time in our recliners...and yes, there are times when both of us are buried under fur!

Anyone who takes in a stray will indeed receive a "special reward" in life...oh and "Heaven" too I'm sure....but the greatest reward is their undying love while in your care.

Kingfisher- how cool "Mick" goes on walks with ya...keep it up! And, I'm sure you know, but yes, please do get his "maleness" clipped. I hear it all the time from people around here how "expensive it is"....well think of it this way....there are clinics that have 'low cost days' ($15-40) and even at full pop $65-120) we're talking just a few months worth of feeding and care. An non-neutered male will want to fight for his mating rights and one trip to surgery for a bad fight can be very costly. A friend of mine spent over $1500 on that years ago for his beloved "Pookie"!

We're known as the "Pied Pipers" around here...when we take our walks to the mailbox there is usually our 5 plus on occasion several others following along behind us. When cars come up behind us I always step into the street as not only do we have a 15mph speed limit in the complex (which few seem to honor and I've turned in more than a few lic. plates to the office!) but even good, slow driving folks don't always see the fluffies"....they can't miss me.

Blessed be the kitties, for they are the comfort of the Soul!

Blessed be the doggies, for they are the companions of our lives!

Blessed be the animals, for they show humanity how it should live.

Blessings of Peace,

kingfisher, do you have spay and save where you are? if you do, it's worth checking out.

so sweet he follows the dogs, ours tend to do that too :)

Hehehe...grateful...Kay and I were just talking about this the other day....I simply can not count the total number I/we've had over the years...but both of our 1st year baby pictures have a kitty on our laps! Kay remembers about 25-30 cats over her years (before we got together in 2000) and I simply don't know, it has to be well over 125-150...just in my 7 years in Willow Creek I cared for, spayed and neutered and found homes for over 50.

Right now we have Moki, Hemet and Me Shell, our dominant 3, Her Be (a love bug) and Jojo our 1½ yr olds, "TC" the alley cat, and recently both "Bucky" and "Moon" have come back. A neighbor's cats that prefer our vittles I guess. Stan moved out and left "Moon" last Oct. and we finally got her back to him in Jan/Feb...then about 2 months ago "Bucky" showed back up so I drove him over to Stan's new/old apt only to find he had moved back to our complex. Moon only visits the back yard, but Bucky will be found vying for lap time in our recliners...and yes, there are times when both of us are buried under fur!

Anyone who takes in a stray will indeed receive a "special reward" in life...oh and "Heaven" too I'm sure....but the greatest reward is their undying love while in your care.

Kingfisher- how cool "Mick" goes on walks with ya...keep it up! And, I'm sure you know, but yes, please do get his "maleness" clipped. I hear it all the time from people around here how "expensive it is"....well think of it this way....there are clinics that have 'low cost days' ($15-40) and even at full pop $65-120) we're talking just a few months worth of feeding and care. An non-neutered male will want to fight for his mating rights and one trip to surgery for a bad fight can be very costly. A friend of mine spent over $1500 on that years ago for his beloved "Pookie"!

We're known as the "Pied Pipers" around here...when we take our walks to the mailbox there is usually our 5 plus on occasion several others following along behind us. When cars come up behind us I always step into the street as not only do we have a 15mph speed limit in the complex (which few seem to honor and I've turned in more than a few lic. plates to the office!) but even good, slow driving folks don't always see the fluffies"....they can't miss me.

Blessed be the kitties, for they are the comfort of the Soul!

Blessed be the doggies, for they are the companions of our lives!

Blessed be the animals, for they show humanity how it should live.

Blessings of Peace,

well, you two, it's like preaching to the I love critters choir :)

we had a visitor a few nights ago, I didn't see him but the chef reports that he didn't look so good ..we feed outside and had an extra that night, guess I need another bowl, huh?

this is mick too!

post-11773-0-76126700-1343593406_thumb.j

Edited by grateful

♪♫ and the kitty goes meow meow meow ♫♪♫ and the doggy goes Bark bark bark ♫♪ thus the angels sang... :rofl:

Dino, Harvard were the family dogs until I was about 4 and Bjorn was my faithful companion until we moved to Modesto...when (it makes me SO angry) we left him with the people that bought our house...bottom line "Mom" didn't want the trouble of a dog....grr.

But then all cats except for a few temp dogs I fostered and/or vacation kept until Willow Creek where "Tank" my mastiff/dane mix that crushed the scales at 147# (skinny) when he wandered into our yard and then maxed at 165# when he got "healthy"....Sam and "Idiot" were temps, Sam was 17 when we got him from neighbors moving and were going to put him down and "Idiot" also wandered into the yard, but was put down because of a huge tumor on his head and his intestines were covered with golf ball sized ones...he was only about 18-20 months, but poor thing had a few good weeks with us.

We've considered dogs, but now health precludes the work with walks etc and we ARE going to one day get back to our Maui....so no more kittens or puppies...well unless they are in danger, but no, we've no intentions of taking in any more. Moki is now 12, Hemet and MeSh are 6 so we'll prob only have the kids (Her Be, Jojo) by the time we get back to Maui so we just can't see starting the clock over again!...unless, like I said...no other choice. No, we would never turn down a sick or starving animal of any kind..

Along the road, I've had few unusual kitties though. I've always let my pets name themselves so here's a couple of my odd balls...

"Napoleon" an all white, with a black triangle on top of his head, little tiny 4½# thing at 3-4 yrs old... that acted like a 100# pitbull...he would go after the neighbor dogs, a shepherd and a mixed knee high without any fear.

"Skûffa" (drawer in Norwegian) because she spent her first month sleeping in my desk drawer.

"Zucchini" because she was so starving when she ran into the patio, she ate the zuke slices off my son's dinner plate when I put her on the table...she had just had a near miss by a car driving by...no one ever claimed her but she was obviously tame.

"Iggy" which was short for Igwiwcic Rover Spam 'cause she would do tricks like a dog (Rover) and was a mixed bag of meat (Spam) and she got..."I Get Whatever I Want 'Cause I'm Cute" she was an adorable calico.

"Fat Bob", and "Sportster" brother Siamese, "Springer", a tabby. "Sturgis" the little black manx that found its way to my sleeping bag my only year there, he rode back to Modesto (5 days) tucked into my leather jacket and seemed puurrfectly happy doing so. "Knucklehead" and "V-Twin" were a couple of other black and whites back in the days when I rode my Harley.....ahhh to be young and unbroken again!

"Saskwatch" and "Speedbump" were the biggest I ever had, "Sas" weighed in at 28# and had long scraggly brown and red fur that I've never seen before or since and "Bumpus" black and white, topped out at 26# but slimmed down to 24 would sleep across the door jamb so you had to stop, step over, continue, like a speed bump. "Jojo" is getting close though, just weighed him the other day and he's a whopping 22-23 pounds, depends if he just ate I guess!

And my dear boy "Spike", tough but sweet little orange tabby, slept on "Tank" when he was just a kitten and at 2 years old I watched him stalk a mountain lion across the property....I had no idea what he was beaking on until he jumped off the wood pile, ran across the yard and poof...poor thing. He was absolutely fearless as only a short time before that he had a black bear on the hill across from my property...I didn't know to laugh or cry as he actually had the bear backing up, I was petrified, but slowly walked over and was able to grab him with a hungry bear only 10-12' away...tell me I was wetting my pants!?!...but for the kitty's sake...well that's one of my kids! Of course my gal friend at the time had the .458 rifle scoped on the bear so I wasn't a complete idiot.

Blessings Be,

the spaneil in gratefu l post looks a lot like the dog my parents had when i wa s littl e. his name was ernie but i don t know why. i was only about 5 when he passed ont o doggy heven. before we got justice and courage i had a rotty that was sweet as pie but when i moved over to hamilto n i couldnt find any place that woul d take him. it is a shame what bad people have made good dogs out to be. jake wouldnt hurt a fly. as luck would have it some frien ds of mine moved out towards the tundra areas and took him in and they all seem to love the wildernes s areas. i just talked to my friend the other day and he said jake had gone missing for three days until the day I called. came back none the worse for were so we could onl y think he knew i was going to cal l. haha of course but then we do hear those storys of dogs finding long gone owners so who know for sure eh? but for now justice and courage are the life of us and we wouldn t trade them for the worl d. i think it does take spirtual people to own pets at lest good owner s. ive never met a good pet owner that id didnt lik e too.

Guest Guest

I agree blades :) he's a gordon setter

and he's one of my dearest friends, it doesn't hurt that he's gorgeous and funny too. I love hanging out with him, he is the quintessential loyal hound, he's fun to watch him at the dog park too, he's like the mayor, friendly but busy, busy, busy, you know? he's got important stuff to do.. and on a hike, he's the field guide

what kind of dogs are justice and courage (did I already ask that?)

I always considered myself as a dog person and since I was a child I cannot remember myself without a dog. The first one was when I was about three, a Hungarian Puli named Tucsok, which means cricket, then came an sheepdog named Maxi. Then there was my little mix terrier of some kind named Danny, --one day he simply ran off and never came back, I was ten--that was my very first heartbreak, I cried for weeks.Then followed a English pointer, Diana,--sadly she died of a disease very soon after we got her. Then came a great Dane named Pluto, that we had for only two months, as he was huge and we coudn`t keep him in the apartment.

Then came my beloved Tinnike, an Airdale terrier when I was eleven--she was my constant companion as I was growing up, --she was with me day and nightconsole%281%29.gif . She wasn`t a dog but a person--and she only spoke Hungarian :derisive: . Lassie was a German Sheep dog, she was my sister`s constant shadow . Both Lassie and Tinnike immigrated with us from South Africa, Tinnike was 17 when she died, and Lassie was 12. They are both buried in our garden in Montreal under a huge Maple tree, that is where they used to love to lie during the lazy days of summer.

Then I there was Dennis-named after my first boyfriend :cupidarrow: . He was a small little spaniel that I had found wandering amongst traffic on Yonge Street, one of the busiest streets of Toronto. I had him for almost 18 years. When my old boyfriend came from South Africa to visit me in Canada 8 years ago he thought it most amusing to know that he had a namesake, and his picture was gracing my bookshelf.

Then there was Shaka, --named after the great the Zulu king--a beautiful , gentle Doberman that was rescued from a garage--I had him for 8 years with Dennis at the same time. It was David and Goliath when we went walking :friends:. Shaka sadly was killed by a car as my brother-in-law took him off the leash, --it was on a Good Friday. Soon after that tragic incident Dennis walked off on Victoria day and I never found him. Many people who knew him said that he walked off to die because he was 18 , and they said he didn`t want to die and make me sad. I was heartbroken anyway. Then I had little Blanche--the little Westie I had rescued from my daughter`s father-in-law.

However for the past years it has all changed, I now consider myself as a cat-woman :cat2_h4h:. Not out of choice, but fate, or perhaps they chose me.--I inherited Evie and Frederick from my daughter, who had a baby at the time and they kept peeing in the crib. I had them for many years. Frederick walked off into the sunset and Evie lived a very happy life with Dennis, later with Blanche and died in my living room 4 years ago. Now I have two beautiful fur kids Felix and Alice. :cupidarrow: All of these souls have always simply showed up in my life--but the latest tale unfolded was last December.

My mom who lives alone in a big house close to me, has had two cats the past 3 years, that my brother brought to her for companionship,--they are Armand and Fonzie, both rescues, after her beloved kitty had an accident. Sadly we found out when we took Armand to the vet that he had feline aids, and also had some serious problems due to an accident--He seemed healthy apart from teeth problems that needed to be removed. My mom simply adored them both, especially Armand knowing that he was ill.

Last December who should show up on her doorstep--on her verandah in fact , but a little ginger kitten about 4 months old. He was very wild, you couldn`t get close to him at all--a stray. My mom was in trouble because she also feeds a raccoon named Bruno and we were afraid that they would get into a fight--so Bruno`s plate was moved to another place, off the verandah. My mom, because she had two cats, insisted that even if she wanted it she couldn`t let kitty in because Armand was a very aggressive cat, and not healthy. So--after a few weeks the Canadian weather started to set in--it was getting really cold, we had to do something--I got a raccoon cage from my brother to catch him--he has many raccoon visitors at his house, as they live on the edge of an urban national park and at times he has to relocate them back to the forest as they often take his garage apart, even his garbage cans are bolted down. Imagine, they have at times come into the house though the kitty door and one was found under my niece`s bed.

Anyway--we named the stray kitty Sylvester :chococat_h4h: --and it was old year`s eve when we decided to name him, and Sylvester in Hungarian means `old years eve`. We decided that because he was so wild to wait a while before catching him. We made a very warm , comfortable, padded house for him on the verandah. It was like a comfortable nest. He had food, lodging and love from a distance. My mom fed him 3 times a day--he came and went and was very happy. This went on for the next few months.

The problem was , that Sylvester , though he was fed was a biter, as we found out. He bit my mom 3 times in a short while because she wanted to befriend him and kept trying to get closer to him. My mother was upset momentarily, but then love took over, :cupidarrow: all was forgiven. Life carried on for the next week or so without incident. Then came an other bite on mom`s arm, a deep one. It became a very serious infection, she was put on oral anti-biotics, but that didn`t help. Then after 3 days --we had to go to emergency to the hospital. We were there all night and my mom had to be put on intravenous anti-biotics and she was seriously ill. For the next week a nurse came to the house daily to administer the antibiotics. :doctor:Finally she was better--I have to add through all this time she was still feeding Sylvester.

Then--all of a sudden Armand became very ill--we had 2 weeks of hell--feeding and taking care of him, until sadly he passed away quietly just over a month ago in the dinning room--we buried him in the garden. :cray:

Believe this or not--from that day onward, Sylvester, still outside from one day to the next became as gentle as a lamb. Three weeks ago he moved into the house--he has become the friendliest, loving cat that ever existed--he already sleeps on my mom`s bed. He is like my mom`s shadow-- where ever she goes, he goes. He does not want to put a foot out the door alone. He only goes out with my mom when she waters the garden,--like a dog. He stand next to her and walks step by step with her.His head is always on mom`s foot, or he lies on her--and purrs like a steam engine. :huglove:We have truly never seen anything like it, in such a short time--Fonzie is rather jealous--and is certainly not a very happy camper, but he has a great personality and we are hoping that they will eventually love each other. Sylvester is going to the vet to be neutered in a few days--and then I hope life will continue to be happy without further incidents. My mom is in love--truly in love--she said to my brother --`I would not give up this kitty for anything in the world`. Imagine.--For some reason I know that he came because he knew, or felt that Armand was going to leave soon and he knew that in this house he will be truly loved. :inlove:

blessings and peace,

S

Edited by sarkany

Sarkany,

Oh how wonderful to hear "Sylvester" is finding his place in your Mom's home. Of course we all love hearing about rescues as well!

A couple of things we do to smooth the waters between new and old kitties in one's life is...

Since "Fonzie" is the dominant and "prime" kitty in the house, your Mom will want to let him know she still recognizes that fact. Cats are very hierarchy minded...alpha to zeta...in the home. Your Mom will want to keep the "order" so to speak.

When we bring new ones into the house we always take every opportunity to lap our dominants...as they were before "it" showed up....get them comfy. Then as the new one approaches, pet the prime and endorse the new one. It has only taken a few days, barring a few ancient incidents, for our primes to accept the newbies by this method. Always acknowledge the senior and then the new...it's just the cat's way. Feed Fonz first, pet him first, etc etc...always put the Fonz first and it'll be fairly smooth sailing.

Since the human is looked at like the "Alpha Prime" in the house, loving the dominant while gently bringing in the newbie...well let's just say it works every time for us.

OH...and NEVER allow Sylvester to eat from Fonzie's bowl! A new bowl for the new kid will also teach them both good things and each others place in the dominant cycles of a cat's life.

You may be well aware of these things...but it never hurts to emphasize Cat Culture for those who may not know! ;)

Blessings of Peace,

Thank you for your wise advice Al--I have relayed it to my mom, she sends her thanks :derisive: I am sure this will help and the kids will be just fine.

Blessings and meeow,

S :chococat_h4h:

I forgot to mention one very important factor.....never allow a newbie to 'face' the dominant when introducing them, always bring the side...or preferably butt end...to the Alpha. Face to face is "war" in cat language....much the same for most animals. Allowing the Alpha to get a good whiff of the newbie is important. We've often had one of us hold the newbie with their butt and tail sticking out from under one arm while the other hand scratches and soothes the head end while being held. Then bring the Alpha up to the newb's rear so s/he can sniff all they want without the Newbie even knowing about it!

Remember, cats "see" with their noses as much, if not more so than their eyes. Cats have fabulous night vision but are only about 20/60 (equiv to human) in daylight and do not see many color...their world is mostly in greenish-blue tints. I forget if it's red or yellow they do not see at all. Ferimones, enzymes, body odors and all the things that attach to a cats coat tell the other the long story of the past several days of the newbie. Scent is the where, when and how's for them.

Hope that helps.

Blessings of Peace,