The Whisker Sisters

Bluecat

• 2 weeks later...

The twins were born - on our bed and virtually into my hands - in the Arabian Peninsula and have only been in the UK for a year.

This winter was a bit of a shock to them. They certainly appreciate our central heating and thick woolly blankets.

But they seem to be thriving, and have developed complicated cat social lives with the other mogs that hang out around our back streets. They are of course vaccinated and (much as I'd have loved to see their kittens) also neutered.

they certainly look like they're enjoying themselves! so cool that you were there with them when they drew their first breath, that's kind of big :)

we have two cats who now have access to the outside, it didn't start out that way, it's just hard to keep them in - I know there is a risk but they get to climb trees! cats are supposed to climb trees if they want to, and they have friends too - a lot of people miss the interactions between animals and their fellow travelers very interesting

I've never heard them called mogs :)

Moggy - mog is a derivation of Margaret (Maggie etc) and means a non-pedigree cat.

One of our cats is called Molly and there's a folk song "Sweet Molly Mogg" - though Mogg is also a surname.

It is (I assume) British/Commonwealth English - none of our American friends know it, but the Australians do.

Ours are your basic street cats with perhaps a smidgin of Arabian Wadi cat (they have extra back claws, as did their mum and their uncles).

Yes, cats should be outside if they can do so safely. Our back streets are fairly safe - not many cars and those that come through move slow. Lots of little back gardens, walls to walk on, sheds, low roofs, places to prowl and lurk.

Unfortunately a neighbour has two Devon Rexes - cartoonish-looking cats which like to fight. Our mogs are as soft as butter, so they sometimes get cornered outside and can't get home. We have to send out a patrol - but we can usually hear them if they are stuck. They don't seem to fight - just hide and wail.

The birth was extraordinary!