Anyone Here Into Asatru?

I was hoping someone here could give me more detail than what you normally find on a google search. I know it's a native european reconstruction religion based on the Norse pantheon. What drew you to the religion? How does Asatru ply into your daily life? What are the rituals like? What is your faith like? Many thanks for any insight.

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping for some input...Is AV an Asatruar?? Anyone else? I've been learning about runic divination over last month, seems very interesting but I came across something that said divination was considered a woman's vocation by the norse. I even read that vikings would kill men who practiced it. Is this true? If so, why such a fatal reaction? I'm very interested in all this.

• 4 weeks later...

Still hoping for some input...Is AV an Asatruar?? Anyone else? I've been learning about runic divination over last month, seems very interesting but I came across something that said divination was considered a woman's vocation by the norse. I even read that vikings would kill men who practiced it. Is this true? If so, why such a fatal reaction? I'm very interested in all this.

Yes. Atwater Vitki (AKA Rev. Al) is a priest (Vitki). You might as well ask somebody who knows.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Hello? Hello? Hmmm...someone spilled lutefisk on the message drum again...sorry for the delay in answering....ah there it is, it beats again! :llol:

Okay first off, MYTH 1....Vitki's (runic priests) were traditionally men until the current revival in the 1950's when women were nominated. Until then there simply were not many women interested or having the skills necessary. The killing of men....new one too me, but may be confused with a number of jailings in the late 1500's and early 1600's by religiously converted Scandinavian courts of men and women practicing runic rituals and also thought to be warlocks and witches. In those days few survived jail so may have been the source of that mythical story.

There are also a lot of Ásatrú Folk that are not that well versed in runic history and have been guilty of spreading many fictitious statements regarding rune-staves and the uses in divinity.

"Rune Divination" is also very controversial within many circles of Ásatrú Folk because there is no direct historical evidence of such use. Tacitus, the 1st century CE Roman historian and senator, was one of the few to mention the vitki's at work with their runes. This is because the rune-gilds (schools) have always been esoteric keeping the rites and rituals out of public knowledge. Traditionally, the gilds were always by "member recommendation" to the Drightens (top dog) introducing a suitable prospect for indoctrination into the gild. Much like what we are told about Masonic Rituals...secret and many oaths of keeping it secret.

Currently the rune-gilds are suffering a reduction in membership due to waning interest after a brief influx of popularity in the 1970's thru 90's. I have been a member of the Nordic historical group Loyal Order of EAUQ's since 1972 (age 16) and the US Rune-Gild since 1993, which I've been informed is closing their doors soon. Better get your study books now! (PM me for further details for contacting them) I was named Fellow of the International Rune Gild in 2000 at the Millennium Paganfest at Gambla Uppsala during Summer Solstice.

MYTH 2....Ásatrú Folk are not necessarily in anyway connected to Runic Divination, actually as ref'd above, most of these such as Ásatrú Folk Assembly keep runes only as a writing system and not as any kind of "divination" though they accept it to a small degree. Our ULC forum member HHolmquist would be a better source about the AFA. Other groups, such as http://www.asatrulore.org/ are so thoroughly convinced of there being no historical record of runic divination they outright denounce it, regardless of what facts are brought to their attention.

Runic Divination is the sole purpose of the "Rune-Gilds". Publications such as "Runelore" byEdred Thorsson ISBN 0-87728-667-1 Weiser Publications, are the perfect introduction into the historical factors regarding runes, rune-staves and rune monuments. Another good publication is "Runes of Sweden" by Sven Jansson which has many good pics.

Anyway, I hope this little primer helps. I'd tell ya more, but ya know....I'd hav'ta.... :paladin:....or at the very least take all your doughnuts!! :eat::rofl:

Reyn til Runa!

Blessings of Peace,

Al

• Amulet locked this topic