Good Dog Stella

grateful

Thanks for sharing--what a beautiful message it portrays. We have never bought an animal ever --they always turned up due to some condition. They always seemed :cupidarrow: to have found us. I have never been without an animal ever in my life--used to be dogs, now it is cats :derisive: --Felix and Alice are my fur kids.

blessings,

S

Guest ministermom

Thanks for sharing--what a beautiful message it portrays. We have never bought an animal ever --they always turned up due to some condition. They always seemed :cupidarrow: to have found us. I have never been without an animal ever in my life--used to be dogs, now it is cats :derisive: --Felix and Alice are my fur kids.

blessings,

S

well a heartier welcome then, to a fellow rescuer :)

they most certainly do find us sarkany, they certainly do. I only wish the ignorance and selfishness of people who can visit cruelty on a innocent four legged would vanish along with the problem. I wouldn't be who I am today without the love and companionship of a few good dogs .. they taught me things, important things.

I love good rescue stories - care to tell us any?

rescue dogs (and cats) rule :)

All the animals that we have had are very/were very special, with their very own special story--I shall just share one. But I have had quiet a few-- :cupidarrow:

My daughter`s father-in-law, Papa as they call him, had a little Westie named Blanche--he certainly was not a man in need of a little dog. When I met him, he had her for about 6 years already. She certainly did not have a good life, a very hard and tough one indeed--during the day she was locked in the furnace room, lying on bare concrete--and even nights. She didn`t receive many kind words--at times she was often around when he, or company were having dinner--it was always the case that she would be fed after dinner--poor little thing watching as everybody was eating.--and she was often shouted at and threatened loudly. Yes--she was walked a little, but was fed very little, only dry dog food. Papa said--she can`t tolerate anything else, and nothing is good for her anyway except dry dog food. Often she would get into the garbage in the kitchen at night--and there would be major trouble in the morning.

Well--Papa decided to move to Calgary--and it was too troublesome to take little Blanche--he decided to put her to sleep. I already had two cats in an apartment--but I could not let it happen , so I took her in--she was so very grateful--tail wagging like a fan.. She started getting all kinds of nice food, treats--slept on my bed--his teeth were real bad and had gotten a serious medical condition after a couple of months.

I took him to the vet--diagnosis was not good--cancer. They asked me what should they do--I said operate and whatever happens, happens--Almost $2,000 later little Blanche was home--a huge operation and minus a few teeth. We went for long walks in the park--she got warm clothes that winter--and she was very happy--9 months later she started getting bad arthritis and a huge lump in her side. We got some pain killers and slowly she started to deteriorate--about 3 weeks later--I got home from work--she crawled onto my lap looking at me in the eyes --and 30 minutes later she died in my arms. She actually waited for me to get home--She had a wonderful 15 months with me--As my daughter commented one day when she was over--saying Blanche thinks she has died and gone to heaven--she is there now. She lived more in 15 months than in her entire little life.

Thank you for reading!

Blessings and love,

S

Edited by sarkany

as much as I love a good dog story sarkany, they often leave me a little, well, sniffly, and I think I've something in my eye now ..

dear blanche (and dear you) oh my .. thank you for seeing her, and for saving her, for giving her the things that any good dog wants; simply love and respect, and all that comes with it :)

lets not waste time wondering here why some people have dogs .. I'm not into anthropomorphizing or attaching anything to the four legged other than what goes with them naturally - they are dogs and they are magnificent. they have chosen to form a bond with us that we probably don't deserve.

I have always loved animals but with maturity has come a responsibility to them. I am proud to be their champion, if I can save one animal, or change one mind about buying from unknown sources or pet stores, or dog fighting, if I can be a wise counsel when someone is thinking about getting a pet for the first time, if I can be a stop on the four legged railroad or if I simply (and can't help but) love up my charges at work .. I've done a good days work

:)

as sad as sweet blanche's story may appear, she was a lucky one, she died in the arms of the one who loved her, as was her due

there are two stories here somewhere, about milo and nori, two of my rescues and champions, tell me what you think!

(I have no idea why some of the text went all wonky...)

Edited by grateful

Heartwarming video as well as rescue story.

On a sad ♪ though... just last night as Kay and I were watching TV we heard a loud commotion going on outside. The aggressive yapping sounded familiar but not the grumble of "big dog" that was going along with it. Our neighbor "G" and her little "Coco" small terrier/pug mix, were standing in the flower bed and up against the house of our other neighbor while a group (3 gals 2 fellas) was walking a huge Mastif/Pit mix by on a very long leash. The man holding the leash did nothing to pull back the large dog and the gals were laughing.

As best we could (been a terrible pain week) we hobbled outside and towards the group asking if "G" and Coco was okay. As soon as the fella saw/heard us he then pulled back on the leash, but the large dog was previously only a few feet from terrified elderly lady (81) and old dog (17). When I called the man on his actions he just turned and laughed stating "Hey, it's a big dog world!" He refused to answer who they were visiting as they certainly weren't old enough to be living in this complex.

In the dog's credit, he wasn't acting too badly and we did not witness any aggressive behavior, just the low grumble bark response one would expect from two strange dogs meeting. This is yet another case of a dog having more sensibility than a human. I sat outside until I saw the pick-up with the dog leave and got the license. We'll find out who they visit eventually and get them banned if this is how they choose to act.

"G" and Coco have barely healed from the pit-bull attack they endured just a few months ago from people that moved in down the street and unbeknown to the management were running a puppy mill. The breeder pair of females had "gotten loose" and went straight for "G" and her tiny Coco causing a trip to the hospital for both. Due to witness statements the people running the puppy mill were evicted and "G" just got her notice for court a few days ago. If able, I'm going to help her get to court in September and rally the witnesses...I've seen/heard of too many cases like this being dropped because of too little evidence.

All too often these rescue pets have more sense than the owners, but in some cases it's both not knowing any better.

It's always great to see videos and read of cases where things are working out rather going south like with "G" and the pit bull attack she and her little dog endured.

Blessings of Peace,

• 3 weeks later...

missed this viking, dreadful behavior -a lack of empathy can be much more dangerous sometimes than a lack of knowledge

it takes people like you who are willing to help miss g and her coco who will change the moron's ability to visit terror on unsuspecting dogs and their people

I meant to comment earlier on Blanche and how wonderful her last days must have seemed to her. I thought I had said more, but obviously was so upset about our neighbor and her little dog I over looked it. Poor little thing of Blanche, but yes, I have to agree with grateful and not wonder why some Hu-mans are allowed "pets". You are a blessed soul for doing what you did for her Sark. Kay and I know a person who hospices for "unwanted" animals and I don't know how she does it. Bless her heart, she's help several hundred dogs and cats pass over, but my heart simply couldn't take that. She will have her reward in "Heaven" that's for sure.

UPDATE on the incident I mentioned above: I gave the license number to "G" and advised her to file a police report which she did. She saw the pick-up come into the complex again a few days later and called police. Though the outcome was only a warning, good enough for 1st incident that day. The guy and gal walked by here again Sunday, July 22 and I happened to be fussing in the garage when they walked by and noticed their dog was heeled while they walked. Our "Lil' Bit" - "Her Be" was sitting on top of the car watching me putz and immediate bushed out which is what brought my attention to the couple and dog.

I said "Hi!" and carried on a short intro like nothing had happened three weeks ago and they seemed to be very different without their friends. "Rocket" immediately beaked on Her Be, but wasn't pulling or charging, just a curious big dog. Long story short...not bad dog owners, just ones that enjoyed a few too many beers one day and fully lost their sensibility while with the wrong friends. They mentioned the cop giving them a warning and the gal went across the street and apologized to "G" while the guy and I shared "Rockets" enthusiasm. Not all situations require the "heavy hand of the law" as sometimes good people make idiot mistakes...like allowing their dog to traumatize an old lady and then driving half sloshed...."Rocket" certainly didn't require any further admonishment than what his owners had already received. He was indeed a Mastiff/Amer.Bull mix and weighed in at 95 lbs. He did his owner good and proved he knew every verbal command by instantaneously responding - even with the excitement of someone new giving him doggy pats, ear scratches and hugs of lubs...good, no GREAT dog!

I was fully slobbered up ("Rocket" and I got rather close...hehe...nothing like a big dogs' affectionate encounter!) by the time they continued on their walk. "HerBe" never left the top of the car during the 20 minute encounter so she gets points for being 'brave'! Of course, afterwards, going inside I had all of our kitties cautiously sniffing every inch of me for the next half an hour! Hehehe...I love bringing new smells home to them!

Blessings of Peace,