Control Is A Good Thing

So far you are all correct but there is way more.

Control your children within the proper method and they will grow to be successful adults.

Control your coffee cup and you won't spill a drop.

Control traffic and there will be no collisions.

Control those who refuse to control themselves and the world is safer for everyone. Note: I did not say punishment, I said control. There is a great big difference.

Control your car and you won't have accidents or mechanical failures.

Control your gun and you will hit where you're aiming.

Control your temper and you will have no arguements.

Control your life and you will much more enjoy living.

That's enough for today.

So far you are all correct but there is way more.

Control your children within the proper method and they will grow to be successful adults.

Control your coffee cup and you won't spill a drop.

Control traffic and there will be no collisions.

Control those who refuse to control themselves and the world is safer for everyone. Note: I did not say punishment, I said control. There is a great big difference.

Control your car and you won't have accidents or mechanical failures.

Control your gun and you will hit where you're aiming.

Control your temper and you will have no arguements.

Control your life and you will much more enjoy living.

That's enough for today.

The assumption here is SELF control, of course. We certainly do not want government to control any aspect of our lives beyond the bare minimum to have cognizance over our social contract.

Control is only a good thing where it is applied by someone with both good motives and the ability to create good outcomes. And, unfortunately, people are not good at knowing when they do not have the ability to create good outcomes, so they invariably exert control in ways that are not good.

Control is only a good thing where it is applied by someone with both good motives and the ability to create good outcomes. And, unfortunately, people are not good at knowing when they do not have the ability to create good outcomes, so they invariably exert control in ways that are not good.

You're right Doggie but consider: If the desired outcome is a negative such as a prohibition on the vices shared by a few people is it really control or is it suppression of the desires of those suppressed?

I would posit that bad control cannot exist because then we have crimes, not control. Real, good control always would thus have a good ending, such as in the examples I posted above.

The assumption here is SELF control, of course. We certainly do not want government to control any aspect of our lives beyond the bare minimum to have cognizance over our social contract.

I do have to agree with you on this one. Government has seldom used control for the things it should but has often suppressed the liberties of the people and called it necessaary controls. There are members of this forum who think that is wise and wonderful.

yes self control is a good control to have, and yes to government having a VERY limited control over individual lives including No control at all over personal vices (making marijuana legal would be a great step in the right direction) so that individuals are in charge of their own self control (and we stop wasting everyone's money fighting drug wars and making drug growers/makers rich and locking up so many people for nonviolent crimes).

but then their are those we often label (positively or negatively) Control Freaks these individuals loose it when they feel (rightly or wrongly) that they have lost some aspect of controlling their lives own life and often even the lives of those around them. Self control is often all the control one truly can have in life as other things are effected by outside forces.

I know some Control freaks who will have so much control that they can not change plans or schedules and end up missing out on the wonderment of spontaneous events. One can control themselves with a loose rein so that life can still happen and change with the world.

a new parent can allow their infant to self soothe in order to teach the baby self control, but they can leave the child in distress too long, too often or for the wrong reasons (say the child is in pain not just wanting to be held) and cause not self control lesson learned but start emotional issues such as: terrors, mental anguish and feelings of abandonment, learning self control and self soothing are very hard lessons for children, and parents alike. Not allowing children to have any control in their lives is also detrimental mentally and emotionally; parents who rule with iron rules fail to teach their children the ability to make their own choices, to reason our rights and wrongs on their own, and often they will have issues later in life with making decisions or standing up for themselves.

yes control is a very interesting subject.

I would posit that bad control cannot exist because then we have crimes, not control. Real, good control always would thus have a good ending, such as in the examples I posted above.
That would simply be a matter of redefining the word to make it mean what you want it to (well, technically, to keep it from meaning what you don't want it to), wouldn't it? Edited by speechless