Do You Grow Your Own Food?

Kimmy

I was hoping to start a "Grow Your Own Food" thread in the Frugal Corner but, frankly, I am terrible at keeping plants alive. So I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer some basic tips on starting and maintaining a simple herb or vegetable garden by posting his or her ideas in the Frugal Corner?

The Frugal Corner: http://ulc.net/forum/index.php/forum/134-frugal-corner/

Why not do it right here?

How much ground do you have to work with?

First suggestion: Go to a lawn & Garden center such as Walmart of Meijers and ask lots of questions. Don't be deterred if the cashier doesn't have answers but go to the Dept mgr. or one of the guys who takes care of them at the store.

Second suggestion: make friends with your local school, Jnr College or higher, caretakers.

Third suggestion: do not stay in direct sunlight too long without long sleeved shirts and slacks. No swim suits in the garden. That advice from me, its worth what you paid for it.

I cannot advise you to specifics, however, if you want a plant to grow and be healthy, you must treat it as any other living thing. Give it attention and love it. Plants can tell if they are loved. If you love them, you will give them the attention. The attention would, of course, include proper feeding, watering, weeding, and just plain coming out and admiring them, silently letting them know how much you love and appreciate their efforts to please you. Works with all animals and plants and sometimes people.

Edited by Brother Kaman

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more, Brother Kamen. I sweet talk all of my plants. I praise their leaves, I compliment each one of them on their flowers and their ripening fruit. (My neighbor caught me talking to my garden one day and asked me if my wife ever got jealous.)