Moral's And Ethic's Roots

Hyper Real

Moral's and Ethic's Roots  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is the predominant root of your morals and ethics?

• Religion
    • Property
    • Fairness
    • Social harmony
    • Other (please specify)

What about philosophy? To me philosophy is the root to all other bases of knowledge, moral or otherwise...It is the root of our worldviews. Because I have a theistic philosophical worldview, I am inclined to certain views about religion, property, fariness, and social harmony.

I think we inherited many of our morals from our hominid ancestors and as we become more aware of our surroundings and the effects that our actions have on others our morals evolved as well and became more sophisticated.

I think we inherited many of our morals from our hominid ancestors and as we become more aware of our surroundings and the effects that our actions have on others our morals evolved as well and became more sophisticated.

sounds good to me.

I think this has many answers--one would be cultural, then religious. Cultural roots within our society go very deep--it also has much to do between East/West--What maybe morally, ethically acceptable in one is not within an other. Even --like the indegenous people of the world--tribal customs dictate ethical and moral behaviour. In the west we are bound by laws, that are ethical and moral in the eyes of society--also many of us are governed by our religious history and beliefs. Also--as Rev`d Rattlesnake pointed out--philosophical beliefs and teachings..

Also-I think we have come to a point in our eveolution that many things that were morally and ethically acceptable are not. Look at the debate about Joshua and Moses. So--morals and ethics do change with time--to me it comes with more enlightenment of consciousness--or perhaps becoming a bit less material oriented and leaning more towards the spiritual aspects of being. Perhaps we are moving towards the next dimension. :derisive:

^what sarkany said^ :thumbu:

As children we seem to gravitate towards the social environment that "feels right" to us. Kids are usually in the same circles as our parents, but, it doesn't necessarily mean as we age we remain in agreement or stay within those circles.

For instance: My earliest memories were an aversion to 2 couples of my parents "friends" who also happen to be titled members of the church. At 3,4 or 5 years old how did I know why? At 14-15 it had been proven to me time and again as to "why" I did not like those particular ego maniacs. Yet out on the farm I grew up on, one neighbor was Dutch and Dunkard, while the other neighbors included German Catholic, Lithuanian Greek Orthodox and Scandinavian Lutheran...all the kids played together and the "rules of the house" were basically all the same where discipline reigned supreme. This is not true in most neighborhoods today.

As we age our moral and ethical centers mature (usually and hopefully) and we begin to rationalize our feelings, but mostly, we tend to "do that which is Right" as that gets us acceptance, respect and recognition...some of our most fundamental human emotional needs.

Blessings of Peace,

The root of all ethics and morals is survival. The better ones survival across the dynamics, the more ethical that person is. That which is moral is likewise pro-survival, that which is non survival is not moral nor ethical.

The codification of some of them are simply records of what has been pro-survival to someone who could write.

And don't confuse dynamics for numbers of people, it doesn't work that way.

Let's poll and discuss.

Another inadequate poll.

Morals and Ethics (minus the apostrophies) have their roots in philosophical truths, honed and vetted over the millenia and via vigorous debate and review. Perhaps read the Great Philosophers for a better understanding......few people nowadays bother to do so.

The codification of some of them are simply records of what has been pro-survival to someone who could write.

There is some truth in what you say here.

However, does that discount the same "pro-survival" ethics and morals of someone who could not write? I do not think so.

Edited by Happy

There is some truth in what you say here.

However, does that discount the same "pro-survival" ethics and morals of someone who could not write? I do not think so.

Actually Mike, it does because those who could not write never were able to get their ideas passed down to us.

We don't have much of an idea what those ideas were.

Freemen should never regulate their conduct by the suggestions or dicta of others, for when they do so, they are no longer free. No man ought to obey any contract, written or implied, except he himself has given his personal and formal adherence thereto, when in a state of mental maturity and unrestrained liberty. It is only slaves that are born into contracts, signed and sealed by their progenitors. The freeman is born free, lives free and dies free. He is (even though living in an artificial civilization) above all laws, all constitutions, all theories of right and wrong. He supports and defends them of course, as long as they suit his own end, but if they don’t, then he annihilates them by the easiest and most direct method. There is no obligation upon any man to passive obedience, when his life, his liberty and his property are threatened by footpad, assassin or statesman. ~Ragnar Redbeard

~ I was going to vote 'social harmony', because that's generally what I strive for.

But there are times when the choice to make others happy is wrong.

So yeah, 'other'.

I am usually the one that avoids conflict { & if that involves running away or crawling under a table, OK ! }.

Unless...

I do have problems with others getting abused & it tends to make me reckless. Driven my husband nuts a few times :dntknw:

Seriously, I avoid confrontation like a turtle - quickduck! But I can't even stop & think if someone else is endangered.

So I guess legally, I've broken a few laws a few times... Ooops!

The laws in our society are based on moral & ethical principals { well, used to be most, now there are a lot of laws based on other shtuff... } & that's all good ideas.

Some folk don't have a basic knowlege, let alone understanding, of morals or ethics. THAT is to cry for...

Whether through religious or familial or societal training, if the concepts of such isn't taught, it's not learnt.

'Do to others as you want done to you.'

'Do not steal. Anything. Including life.'

'Be kind though others are not, because they could learn by your example.'

... Come on... You've got some. Share :)

'Play nice with others & don't throw sand' :lol:

Edited by Qryos

• Amulet locked this topic