Decisions, Decisions

VonNoble

PIck and choose.

Mix and match.

Is knowing and not doing

better or worse than doing and not knowing?

Is it worse to notice the need and ignore it

or provide the necessary assistance - but only if you someone ASKS you first

When faced with a need knowing you have ability to render assistance

would you tend towards careful consideration of what will happen to you first before you act or does that response fall far short of the example of the Good Samaritan who acted without hesitation believing if I don't/ who will?

Is it more harmful to hit another with your fist or with your tongue?

What is the difference between a miracle, Karma and good luck that remarkably beat the odds?

Is it more desirable to have unquestioning faith, blind tolerance , or unconditional kindness?

Von

PIck and choose.

Mix and match.

Is knowing and not doing

It would depend on what the knowledge and act are.

the former is only slightly worse then the latter

would you tend towards careful consideration of what will happen to you first before you act or does that response fall far short of the example of the Good Samaritan who acted without hesitation believing if I don't/ who will?

I think people aspire to act without regard, but few really do.

Legally, it is more harmful to hit with your fist, but often hitting with your tongue takes much longer to heal.

What is the difference between a miracle, Karma and good luck that remarkably beat the odds?

Perspective

Is it more desirable to have unquestioning faith, blind tolerance , or unconditional kindness?

None of the above.

PIck and choose.

Mix and match.

Is knowing and not doing

Generally it's better to have at least done something. Of course there could be details to twist this.

If you need something and you're too stubborn to ask...sucks to be you. I tend to be clueless until someone says anything...so that's my take.

This depends on my moods and who's involved. Sometimes I'm all for helping anyone. I don't believe in karma and universal connections or anything like that, but I find that being generally generous and helpful tends to come back positively.

How many times am I allowed to hit you? A tongue lashing can ruin a mood, a broken rib or jaw can ruin a week. Are you someone with a weak skeleton or a "passionate" ego?

The difference is in who's paying attention. The law of big numbers says that if it can happen it will eventually. .0000000000000000000000000001 chance of something happening is going to happen given enough time. Our world is full of the numbers game and it is being played VERY quickly.

** all three. They're all signs of someone who's not paying enough attention.

And yes, I did mention that I tend to be clueless until someone mentions a problem.

Edited by LovesmyKimmy

Is knowing and not doing

Its worse

Its worse

Yes, always consider possible repercussions

Fist

A miracle is divine intervention, the others aren't.

Unquestioning faith

Disclaimer- Before I answer these questions, I'd like to say that I am extremely aware of my own imperfections, and though I believe I am an excellent judge of what is "right" or "wrong", I have too often failed to perform up to my own standards.

Is knowing and not doing

Knowing and not doing is worse than doing and not knowing.

It is worse to notice the need and then ignore it (whether they ask for help or not).

I have been in this situation several times.... having inserted myself into situations where I could have been injured or killed in order to assist another or keep another from harm. I have to admit that I acted without forethought, and chastised myself afterwards for having placing myself in danger without due and proper consideration of the possible consequences. Since I know I am not "brave"... "stupid" may be a better word to describe my actions.

I have employed both methods... verbally in an effort to provide needed instruction, physically to apply appropriate discipline. I believe physical correction leaves a more lasting impression. Which is more harmful? I'd say both have their uses.... and consequences.

Miracles happen when there is a suspension of natural/physical laws that govern our physical world to alter the logical (or usual) conclusion of a given situation.

Karma is one of the physical and spiritual laws that governs all of us. Basically stated as- "What goes around, comes around." It has also been presented as the Golden Rule- "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Only the application of the Law of Forgiveness can cancel an individual's Karmic debt.

Luck, in my opinion, is pure chance, and is something that I do not hold in high esteem because it appears to me to be bestowed all too often on those whom I feel to be undeserving of the benefits.

Unquestioning faith and unconditional kindness are (IMO) both desirable states, but I believe that the later is a condition acquired by the presence of the former. To me, blind tolerance benefits no-one. (See the above questions about "Knowing & Ignoring".)

Edited by Songster

Pick and choose. Mix and match.

Is knowing and not doing better or worse than doing and not knowing?

worse
Is it worse to notice the need and ignore it or provide the necessary assistance - but only if you someone ASKS you first
it is worse to notice and ignore
When faced with a need knowing you have ability to render assistance would you tend towards careful consideration of what will happen to you first before you act or does that response fall far short of the example of the Good Samaritan who acted without hesitation believing if I don't/ who will?
falls short; if I understand the question correctly
while both instances can leave life long scars I tend to believe that verbal abuse has a more devastating, long term effect on an individual
none
Is it more desirable to have unquestioning faith, blind tolerance or unconditional kindness?
unconditional kindness

Worded only slightly different, it sounds as if your questions come directly from the nine common virtues of the Asatru Folk Assembly which I and my household follow in our daily life. We do so without regard to friend or foe, human or animal. Giving aid to all of creation is our highest calling and virtue, at least as we see it and believe.

May Peace be with you,

"HH"

• 4 weeks later...

PIck and choose.

Mix and match.

Is knowing and not doing

Knowing and not doing--much, much worse.

Worse to notice and ignore it--also much, much worse.

When faced with a need knowing I would render assistance without a thought--maybe just first checking for safety, but nothing else.

This is a hard one as well--With the tongue, much worse I feel --that stays forever, physical wounds heal. Physical abuse scars for life but generally from a loved one, or a trusted one.

Miracles--Life is filled with miracles every moment--we tend to view miracles that are supernatural in nature--things that seem to be odd according to the scheme of everyday life, often perceived as supernatural or from the divine.

Karma--All actions have a reaction--thus we have to pay for our transgressions or be paid for our good deeds in this life, or the next physical life to come, if you believe in re- incarnation. If no--you go to hell considered a mortal sin. :evil:--if you are in the good karma book-- :cloud9:

Good luck--perhaps it is the reward for some distant good action that we have done--maybe we don`t even know--Well this is a hard one--if I knew I would call on it more often--maybe for some lotto numbers :grin:

Difficult question--there is more involved here --

Unquestionable faith--that depends what it is to me, to my soul, heart--But I do question and have my own views on faith as well as my religion.

Blind tolerance- depends also--if it is for different faiths, creed, colour--then blind tolerance, it is their personal life and choice.Otherwise I simply can`t :furious: tolerate stupidity, ignorance and bigotry--

KIndness--is the most desirable of the three-- as it covers all--well as a Christian I shall quote John-

John 13:34

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

blessings,

S

Von

Edited by sarkany

PIck and choose.

Mix and match.

Is knowing and not doing

Depends on what you know and what needs done.

Once again, depends on the need and one's ability to provide assistance.

I am sure I would do a quick mental scan of the situation and ramafications before making any decision. I would like to say that I would be a "Good Samaritan" but until face with the situation, it would be pure conjecture.

Apples and oranges. My wife likes it when I hit her with my tongue.

Little to none.

None of the above.

Von

Tough, tough questions.

Is knowing and not doing

Some have said knowing and not doing. In most cases, I would go with that, but sometimes doing and not knowing is even more dangerous - for example, at one of my jobs, I deal with serving meals to persons with dementia and Alzheimer's. There are certain medications that preclude serving certain foods. It is my job to be certain that I am not serving something that can potentially kill a resident, so if I either do not know and guess or elect not to ascertain the presence or lack of a dietary restriction, I could find myself guilty of manslaughter. That would far outweigh knowing and not doing in the sense of knowing there is an interaction and not doing by virtue of not giving the food that would be restricted/prohibited.

Growing up with friends (and self) and disabilities hand in hand, before and after the ADA was passed, I wrestle with this question a lot. There is a question that we used to ask a lot when I worked at a college and we discussed how to work with students with disabilities. Was it okay to see a need and not address it? Should we provide assistance, but only if the student asks for it? One of the best questions for this test was what if a student was blind and about to walk into an open manhole (which obviously the student is unaware is open). Should one have to wait to be asked for assistance, or are there times where it is appropriate to speak out? Generally, I find if possible, it is best to offer assistance and allow the party offered to decide whether or not they wish to accept. If someone is in immediate danger, such as the open manhole example, there are ways to handle that and still afford the other person dignity, such as phrasing it "just making sure you know, there is an open hole in front of you in about x steps." In my experience, that is usually received with a "thank you" and either an acknowledgement that the person was aware, or complete surprise and a change of course, or a request for directions. Either way, it was nicer than "there's a hole in front of you," which automatically makes the assumption that the other person did not know. It seems a small thing, but I have a friend who is blind and does very well who truly resents people assuming he is unaware of his surroundings simply because he can not see them. Obviously, if someone is in imminent danger, like the hole is two steps away, then I would speak out and have to accept it if someone was angry with me for wanting to prevent them from being injured.

Ooooh.... This is still a sore point for me, because I once lost a job because of this situation. I worked in a bakery and the commercial oven has a steam injector. Steam under pressure behaves differently than steam that is not under pressure. This oven was basically a pressure cooker at a certain point in the cycle. I had just injected the steam, which can not be seen when under pressure (once you release the pressure, you see the moisture condensing on the oven walls until it bakes off). A coworker, who I know was unaware I had injected the steam, was about to open the oven, thinking the cycle was done. I yelled out not to touch the door because she would be severely burnt. She got angry for "telling her what to do" and I was fired. Would I do it again in the same situation? Heck yeah. I don't want to think about the possibility of someone being injured or possibly killed because I chose to shut up.

I would say tongue. Emotional scars can often do more damage than physical ones.

I've had miracles: surving multiple cancers, having hearing return when medical science says I should have been totally deaf, making a complete recovery from a stroke... I have had good luck that beat the odds: having a place to bathe and sources of food when homeless, and ultimately having a place to live. I can not speak for Karma. If I have experienced it, I don't know it by name.

Let me take the kindness. I have never been a fan of unquestioning faith. There is a difference between questioning and challenging. The former seeks to better understand, the latter assumes a full underitstanding, or at least full enough to offer rebuttal. Blind tolerance is just as dangerous, because it allows one to simply disregard that which is dangerous simply by choosing not to have an understanding that offers insight.

• Amulet locked this topic