The Pledge Of Allegiance

Hyper Real

What is wrong with this?

I pledge allegiance to the flag (of the United States of America), and to the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Why this?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

But then again why not just this?

I pledge allegiance to the United States of American, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Opinions?

as our nation was founded on christian beliefs I see absolutly no reason to not have "under god" included in our pledge. I grew up saying the pledge every morning while facing the flag while in school it did not hurt me one bit. of course in todays world the mere mention on God is forbidden in school, but ala, or any other religious leader is strongly encouraged by the school system. Why is it that Only God is forbidden? If God shall not be uttered than in my opinion no other religious (false god's ) leaders should be allowed either.

in todays world the mere mention on God is forbidden in school, but ala, or any other religious leader is strongly encouraged by the school system. Why is it that Only God is forbidden? If God shall not be uttered than in my opinion no other religious (false god's ) leaders should be allowed either.

What are you talking about, I try to make sense of what you write but I fail to succeed.

Almost all schools recite the pledge daily including "under God".

And what are these religious leaders you are talking about?

as our nation was founded on christian beliefs I see absolutly no reason to not have "under god" included in our pledge. I grew up saying the pledge every morning while facing the flag while in school it did not hurt me one bit. of course in todays world the mere mention on God is forbidden in school, but ala, or any other religious leader is strongly encouraged by the school system. Why is it that Only God is forbidden? If God shall not be uttered than in my opinion no other religious (false god's ) leaders should be allowed either.

Here is what Jefferson had to say about Christian Beliefs......what Jefferson said in his letter to Dr. Joseph Priestly....here is the actual text...."Yours is one of the few lives precious to mankind, and for the continuance of which every thinking man is solicitous. Bigots may be an exception. What an effort, my dear sir, of bigotry in politics and religion have we gone through! The barbarians really flattered themselves they should be able to bring back the times of Vandalism, when ignorance put everything into the hands of power and priestcraft. All advances in science were proscribed as innovations. They pretended to praise and encourage education, but it was to be the education of our ancestors. We were to look backwards, not forwards, for improvement … This was the real ground of all the attacks on you. Those who live by mystery & charlatanerie, fearing you would render them useless by simplifying the Christian philosophy — the most sublime and benevolent, but most perverted system that ever shone on man — endeavored to crush your well-earned & well-deserved fame."

I am strongly against the forced recitation of any pledge. I think it should never be used in schools for any reason.

The only proper use of this pledge, in my mind, would be when entering the US Military or elective office and in both times it should be as required as their current oathes of office.

Should a child be punished because one day he just doesn't feel like making that pledge and his reason why doesn't matter at all.

I am strongly against the forced recitation of any pledge. I think it should never be used in schools for any reason.

The only proper use of this pledge, in my mind, would be when entering the US Military or elective office and in both times it should be as required as their current oathes of office.

Should a child be punished because one day he just doesn't feel like making that pledge and his reason why doesn't matter at all.

According to Wikipedia:

In 2006, in the Florida case Frazier v. Alexandre, 434 F.Supp.2d 1350 (S.D. Fla. May 31, 2006), a federal district court in Florida ruled that a 1942 state law requiring students to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution.[28] As a result of that decision, a Florida school district was ordered to pay $32,500 to a student who chose not to say the pledge and was ridiculed and called "unpatriotic" by a teacher.[29]

Edited by Hyper Real

as our nation was founded on christian beliefs I see absolutly no reason to not have "under god" included in our pledge.
Because it ceases to really be "our" pledge as soon as you put those words in it. It makes it so that only people who believe in God can be completely honest when taking it, don't you see? And if that doesn't matter, maybe it isn't the under God that should be taken out, but the parts on either side of it...

I don't have a problem with any of it.... Those that do can always leave or just be content to stand for nothing. Imagine if our founding Fathers had the attitude of; I've got no allegiance to my country, all that 'liberty and justice for all' crap is for the birds, the flag represents nothing to me, Francis Scott Key can choke on it, and God, he never blessed the richest country on earth, we should all divide-up and pledge nothing.

We can be thankful that the generations which preceded us had the character, honor, respect, and loyalty to uphold the words that so many today refuse to utter. jmo

I don't have a problem with any of it.... Those that do can always leave or just be content to stand for nothing. Imagine if our founding Fathers had the attitude of; I've got no allegiance to my country, all that 'liberty and justice for all' crap is for the birds, the flag represents nothing to me, Francis Scott Key can choke on it, and God, he never blessed the richest country on earth, we should all divide-up and pledge nothing.

We can be thankful that the generations which preceded us had the character, honor, respect, and loyalty to uphold the words that so many today refuse to utter. jmo

I do not pledge allegiance to the flag. I also to not have the attitude you have described. I do understand from another thread, however, that you view things in black and white. I am gray.