A Dream Job

grateful

About a year ago, we decided to move to the other side of the continent. It was time for an adventure and to grab some time with my only child, who has spent the last few years bouncing around the planet.

At the beginning of the year, we rented out our house back east and loaded up a uhaul. With nothing but determination and luck, we found a great house with a garden and a place for the dog to romp, chef found a great job, the only child feels less like a visitor and more like my girl again (!)

and now, to improve on perfection, drum roll please, I have somehow landed the job of my dreams .. at a hotel for dogs. Shut Up!

My interview took place on a patio overlooking the hills with a dog in my lap and seven or eight more asleep at my feet. I've died and gone to heaven. I know some would rather stick pins in their eyes than spend an afternoon with ten dogs but for me, there is nothing much closer to bliss ..

unless the dogs were on the beach with me that is

Life is fantastic! Fear keeps so many people locked where they are even as they long to leave and do something different

If everyone who was living a miserable life would just up and leave it and go instead toward even a seemingly impossible dream the population as a whole would be more joyful.

I didn't have to flee so far from my original home but I did have to leave in order to find my dreams coming true.

I am happy for you and your family

so wonderful that your child lead the way, again often children stay where they were born or not far away and if that brings peace and joy and dreams which come true it is not a bad thing but for those who stay doing the same things over and over while living in anger, rage, sorrow, loneliness, etc.. life is just long, and they have no idea that the key is change, getting away from their normal and find a new place, way, path.

Congratulations on your new life, your new home, your renewed relationship and your new job.

Life is fantastic! Fear keeps so many people locked where they are even as they long to leave and do something different

If everyone who was living a miserable life would just up and leave it and go instead toward even a seemingly impossible dream the population as a whole would be more joyful.

I didn't have to flee so far from my original home but I did have to leave in order to find my dreams coming true.

I am happy for you and your family

so wonderful that your child lead the way, again often children stay where they were born or not far away and if that brings peace and joy and dreams which come true it is not a bad thing but for those who stay doing the same things over and over while living in anger, rage, sorrow, loneliness, etc.. life is just long, and they have no idea that the key is change, getting away from their normal and find a new place, way, path.

Congratulations on your new life, your new home, your renewed relationship and your new job.

you are so right, we have such a short time on the planet, may as well slide sideways into the end having enjoyed the ride entirely!

I think we forget that we can create what we want in our life. All I knew was that I wanted to come to California for a while if she went to graduate school here. I knew that she would be nailed down for at least two years and the lunching and manicure/pedicure dates would be abundant again ..

I made it happen :)

but this job is simply the icing on the cake. I was resigned to going back to teaching, thinking it was all I was really qualified to do and would earn enough to keep me happy and get me out and busy

dogs are not unlike four year olds in many ways ..

When I worked at BK, I was every dog's best friend because I came home reeking of their products. Oddly enough, I still enjoy the occasional Whopper, as long as they take off about a cup of the mayonnaise (a regulation Whopper has more than a half cup of mayo on it... blehhhhh).

You are fortunate Ms. Grateful and illustrate our lot in life very well. For any animal lover your current position would be a wonderful occupation. We have been fortunate also having had the same kennel to keep our household mascot while away all of his life. There are times when we think he is as much 'at home' there as in our own domicile.

It is knowing with certainty the care and expertise provided, by people such as yourself, at these temporary shelters for our beloved pets that makes being away from them bearable. If only all such places provided the same loving care would the world be a better place.

:)

he just might be! in observing our charming charges over the last few weeks, I can tell you that after a bit of time acclimating they appear quite content, napping on chaise lounges, running on the hills, playing in the pools - they are as happy on arrival as departure. I firmly believe that dogs live in the "now" and act accordingly.

I only boarded my dogs once in the past - we had a sort of dog-watching co-op among family and friends back east, but I would have paid dearly to have them in a place like this .. you are so lucky to have found a place where your four legged is happy and loved (you are so right about the peace of mind it gives)

free range dogs means alot of dogs underfoot - but they're happy dogs, doing what good dogs do .. a home away from home with people who love and understand them ..

the spca commercials are still hard, but the knowledge that more than half of the dogs we care for were once "shelter dogs" makes me very happy, and hopeful for a better future for the "extra" dogs languishing because of carelessness and ignorance ..

Ha! I have to go to "work" in a few hours !

Oh how absolutely wonderful grateful! I couldn't be happier for you!

I don't know how I missed this thread from days ago so I must apologize for not throwing in my 2¢ earlier....guess I've been side-tracked. :blushroll:

Do you get to bring your own dog to work with you? That would be totally cool. Well it seems that after a bit of a dogged welcome (neighbor's mutt) to California you finally got things cat-e-gorized and settled down! Surrounded by bowsers and a full calendar of pet-i-cure dates with your daughter you must be ecstatic!

Absolutely wonderful.

Blessings of Peace,

:)

you know it my friend viking, I meant to p.m. you, with pictures .. remember that dream we talked about (I think we talked about it) all that golden light up ahead? good lord, I really scare myself sometimes

.. it was more than the light, which was lovely, it was more the feeling. it felt something like this

yes! he can and will come with me - how cool is that? he would actually really benefit being part of a pack. he's lazy, we walk and go to the park but generally he just lays around, bad dog

(the wee one is back in europe for the summer though :( )

Edited by grateful