Backyard Chickens

grateful

they can be loud, they can be messy, but I'll tell you, there's nothing quite like walking up the hill and calling the girls only to see them charging towards me like long lost friends..

it's also nice to know where your eggs are coming from, that they are indeed free range, that their food is organic and plentiful and as clean as possible and that they are just about as happy as chickens can be

this one is a particular favorite

I'm in love with my sister's crew, I don't have my own just yet .. someday though. She raises laying hens, diiferent than those raised for meat. I'd be a hypocrite if I opposed, I really love them so I'm going to guess I might feel like Fern in Charlotte's Web but such is life

you're right fawzo, the fox and the coyotes .. and the bobcats are a challenge, she's lost a few. A rooster will protect the flock but can be exceedingly annoying to suburban neighbors, no rooster yet. One of her neighbors has a llama though (!) they are amazing at keeping predators at bay.

A natural method to keep coyotes and bobcats at bay...that works by the way.... is BIGGER predator urine in the areas around the perimeter "free range". Again, referring to my years up in Willow Creek, we found that bear pee kept pretty much everything else away from our pets and chicken coop. I was even able to capture some hilarious pictures of a brown bear "having his way" with one of the shrubs that was sprayed.

You might want to let your Sis know about... http://www.predatorpee.com/ ...Grateful. A good spray bottle (adjusts from stream to spray) is only a couple of bucks as you want to spot spray around the area and stream spray in other areas. Each package comes with full instructions and while some is rather pricey one package lasted me all year.

Hope that helps and wow, I had no idea that Fawzo's cousin was doing chicken watch patrols! :llol: (neighbor's llama!) Fawz...ya might want to warn him about carrying a weapon while on patrol...we know from recent headlines where that can go!! :cray:

Blessings and thanks for sharing Grateful, you sound like you're really enjoying your new home and ability to visit your sis!