Never Saw This Section Before....

Youch

I've got all kinds of animals, mostly the domesticated types.....but I spend the most coin in massively feeding my winged and free neighbors. The amount of feed (many, many feeders) that they go through is both amazing and counter to my long-expressed view against unnatural populations.

Glad to see ya found the forum and Welcome to a year's worth of passing interest Happy! Glad you finally made it!

It sounds like you are guilty of nothing more than being a friend to our avian friends, the same way other folks are friends of the feline and canine families. Kay and I could probably be living back on our island paradise were not for the expenses of caring for the numerous stray felines we have adopted, passed through our yard or been given medical attention!

Roughly 20% of our annual income goes "Straight to Strays"...which we considered authoring and titling a book, but in today's world...well a title like that could certainly confuse the reader base!?! While we still collect our data and chronicle our adventures with the many stray felines around our neighborhood, the prospects of publishing a book that could be confused with heterosexual's turning into homeless vagabonds have dwindled greatly! :rofl:

So anyway, would you consider sharing a few stories about your bird friends? What got you into birds specifically? You said feeders; seed or nectar? Do you have any good ideas how to keep squirrels from robbing the feeders? What, if any, preventive measures do you take to prevent the haphazard feline attack on our feathered friends while eating?

Any and all tips would make for good reading I'm sure.

Blessings of Peace,

It sounds like you are guilty of nothing more than being a friend to our avian friends,

I am friends of most all animals. Any animal that comes to my property, gets an opportunity to get fed.

My wife and I debate the merits of this, as we are obviously contributing to an artifical population. But I so love to see animals on my deck.......

So anyway, would you consider sharing a few stories about your bird friends? What got you into birds specifically? You said feeders; seed or nectar? Do you have any good ideas how to keep squirrels from robbing the feeders? What, if any, preventive measures do you take to prevent the haphazard feline attack on our feathered friends while eating?

I'm so happy that you asked!!

I've got a Pacific Northwest Bird Book, and on the back cover I have written the 40+ witnessed birds on my property. Some rare, most not.

The Pileated is probably my most favorite visitor. The last and biggest big woodpecker in Northern America. But we also see virtually all the regional, local and migratory birds. Minus the sea birds.....

Most recently, my VERY populated and popular multiple seed feeders have recently attracted a Perrigrin Falcon, the world's fastest raptor. We now often see piles of song bird feathers on our deck. Wife, mother and neighbors hate it, but I love it. Circle of life. Most other hawks have less success, given the accessibility of the the safety of the greenbelt behind out home.

With regards to you question about squirrels and cats..... Cats are not really a problem where I live, but squirrels are a bigtime competition....not just with our feeders, but also with the fruit and vegetables we grow. So, we have lots of chicken wire, feeder domes, etc.... nevertheless, the fine-tailed rodents are a common participant of our yard.

Any and all tips would make for good reading I'm sure.

Vitki of Atwater Fame, I doubt I can give you any tips. I am just an amateur who devotes lots of no-mess feed, suet, and nector, to all my wild friends. Few things are better than having rare song birds virtually eat our of your palms.....