A Course In Miracles

Hello all! I have heard for years that I should check out the book A Course in Miracles. It's published by a group called the Foundation for Inner Peace and their website is http://acim.org/. The line on their website says; "This self-study metaphysical thought system is unique in teaching forgiveness as the road to inner peace and the remembrance of the unconditional love of God."

I randomly came across a physical copy on sale at my local bookstore (which is unusual for me because I prefer to have electronic files, living in a small space and not having much room to store books) about two weeks ago. Some of the reviews on Amazon.com hinted that the Kindle version wasn't satisfactory so I'm glad I got the physical copy, although I have to admit, the text can be very difficult to read. I have been reading a little bit each day and it was only today that I discovered why the book is so hard for me to read - it's written in iambic pantameter!

Anyway I was wondering if any of you here on ULC have read or thought about reading ACIM? I would really love to talk with people who have read it or are currently reading or re-reading it. Some reviews are absolutely amazing and I feel like this teaching resonates with me and yet I know it will take me time to really study and percolate over what these teachings mean and how they affect my life.

Edited by constantine319

You mentioned this course in another thread and it piqued my interest. I appreciate your providing the link. I gave the course lessons a quick scan and like what I read. It appears that the only promised miracle is in the change of one's perspective to recognize our intimate relationship with the Creator (whether other miracles are possible depends upon our recognition of God's power within ourselves). It basically echos what I have always believed. I started the course today. Thanks again!

I have read and really enjoyed a Course in Miracles and have witnessed some amazing miracles while studying it.

I thought I had conquered fear totally until one night a young drug dealer was shot and killed six feet in back of me after I got off of a bus one night 18 years ago. I gave my first copy to a friend and have purchased another since then and still pick it up from time to time to read passages from it. Its main creed is

Nothing real can be attacked

Nothing unreal exists

Herein lies the peace in God.

Edited by Fawzo

I have discussed the "A Course in Miracles" with some who have read it and it comes highly recommended. I have been thinking of picking up a copy (paper) and beginning. I procrastinate a lot so it may be a while.

haha, I know the feeling. I hope I may encourage you to do otherwise ;)

You mentioned this course in another thread and it piqued my interest. I appreciate your providing the link. I gave the course lessons a quick scan and like what I read. It appears that the only promised miracle is in the change of one's perspective to recognize our intimate relationship with the Creator (whether other miracles are possible depends upon our recognition of God's power within ourselves). It basically echos what I have always believed. I started the course today. Thanks again!

My pleasure! I'm exactly 37 pages into the text itself and I've found there's a lot of things I already believed, too, like that we have God's power within ourselves. Wonderful!! I hope you'll share some interesting things in this thread as you come across them :)

I have read and really enjoyed a Course in Miracles and have witnessed some amazing miracles while studying it.

I thought I had conquered fear totally until one night a young drug dealer was shot and killed six feet in back of me after I got off of a bus one night 18 years ago. I gave my first copy to a friend and have purchased another since then and still pick it up from time to time to read passages from it. Its main creed is

Nothing real can be attacked

Nothing unreal exists

Herein lies the peace in God.

Oh wow, what an experience that must have been :/ I hope you'll feel comfortable chiming in as I post things I find interesting. I would love to hear more of your input :)

I wanted to share with you guys a passage I read from chapter 1, about the meaning of miracles.

"The real purpose of this world is to use it to correct your unbelief. You can ever control the effects of fear yourself, because you made fear, and you believe in what you made. In attitude, then, though not in content, you resemble your Creator, Who has perfect faith in his creations because He created them. Belief produces the acceptance of existance. That is why you can believe what no onee else thinks is true. It is true for you because it was made by you."

This is on page 32 of my copy.

I think this is really interesting because in the Mormon church, I was once told that our purpose here on earth is to learn. I was also taught somewhere along the lines that because we are (theoretically) made in the image of our Creator, we have the abilities of the Creator to create... so I find the bit about how we create our own life to fit our beliefs to be really interesting. It reminds me of the Law of Attraction.

I wanted to share with you guys a passage I read from chapter 1, about the meaning of miracles.

This is on page 32 of my copy.

I think this is really interesting because in the Mormon church, I was once told that our purpose here on earth is to learn. I was also taught somewhere along the lines that because we are (theoretically) made in the image of our Creator, we have the abilities of the Creator to create... so I find the bit about how we create our own life to fit our beliefs to be really interesting. It reminds me of the Law of Attraction.

I think in terms of the teachings of A Course in Miracles it would be more akin to the Law of Projection then the Law of Attraction. We are projecting our realities like a holograph machine.

I think in terms of the teachings of A Course in Miracles it would be more akin to the Law of Projection then the Law of Attraction. We are projecting our realities like a holograph machine.

Law of projection... I've never heard about that one before. Although I think I am familiar with the concept, that we project our issues onto others. Based on what I've read so far that sounds exactly right.

Law of projection... I've never heard about that one before. Although I think I am familiar with the concept, that we project our issues onto others. Based on what I've read so far that sounds exactly right.

Well from my understanding of the Course in Miracles we (ego) are Projecting our whole reality in an effort to hide from the punishment we think God is going to inflict on us for being bold enough to think ourselves separate from him and one another. Part of the reasoning that our Universe is ever changing is part of the plan so that we are not found.

That is my take on it. The Course tries to undo those separatist thoughts through forgiveness and teachings of unity

Edited by Fawzo

• Amulet locked this topic