Ulc.net And Facebook

Hyper Real

• Administrator

It's similar to the Google or Yahoo spiders on the site.

The difference being, with the facebook integration, those that connect their facebook id's with the forum can share links to forum threads on their facebook wall.

From the admin panel description

Facebook will check pages to ensure they're valid when using the "Like" button or "Share" buttons.

They have the same authority/ability as "guests." Any live person that drops by to see the site, but doesn't register, can only see so much. The same is true with the Facebook bots.

What's that new phrase? Likers gotta like.

It has always bothered me that there is a like button and not a dislike button on FB. It only seems fair to have both. It makes me delusional thinking everyone likes me without a dislike button :)

And man many many times I have wished for the same here so I can like a post without having to actually create a post taking up added space.

It has always bothered me that there is a like button and not a dislike button on FB. It only seems fair to have both. It makes me delusional thinking everyone likes me without a dislike button :)

I don't have that problem, occasionally there's overwhelming support but I tend to speak from outside the mainstream and for some reason people don't often want to hear it. And genius is easily misunderstood. ;)

If I spent too much time thinking about everyone who didn't like me I'd go mad. "Likes" encourage people to participate and grow in society even if it encourages some of them to display poor behavior. But even that has value. If we can't hold ourselves up to the mirror we'll never see our flaws. It encourages creativity, but nobody paints a masterpiece every time. It's better to be a fool in public than behind closed doors where we're never exposed to new ideas. Nobody hates being liked for no good reason.

"Dislikes" reinforce low self-esteem, and while it's important that we can address our disapproval of others it's more productive for both parties if we respond in a comment where we can explain our position, or at least be revealed as empty haters devoid of substance. What good does it do a person to feel alienated without knowing why, or to be oppressed simply for expressing an unpopular view? I don't need a hundred people hating me just because they assume I'm the worst sort of clergyman based only upon a composite of stories they've heard that have nothing to do with me. And as momma always said, if you can't say something nice..

I don't play in the Facebook sandbox anymore, but it's not because I despise social networking. I don't care if this forum links to it, I assumed from the beginning that my posts would be available to the world. If they ever sent all my private mail out or changed my settings without permission I'd probably leave here too though. :P

Edited by Kingfisher