I became ordained as a minister about a month ago.

(I was raised Mormon but when I was 16 (so... 6-ish years ago) had a series of events that happened that made me not interested in following the normal conventions. Since then I've followed my heart to different paths and I'm currently an energy therapist/life coach with an emphasis in spiritual counseling, running my business to help clients in one-on-one situations and writing a book. I have struggled with the concept of religion and after delving into many, I've decided I don't like any that I've seen because I would benefit from something that has a few significant guidelines and almost no strict/specific rules.)

I was guided to the ULC site and upon reading the quote on the front - "Do only that which is right" - and I literally felt like this was the best place for me to be right now and went through the ordination process immediately.

I kind of forgot about it until I was adding the event to my Facebook timeline the other day and I've been told that it's a bit inappopriate for me to call myself a minister if I am not a Christian. Now, I know I'm treading the line of sounding like I am letting them convince me that doing what I feel is right is actually wrong, but they bring up a good point. Since I haven't been a minister for long, I don't feel like I can appropriately identify what it means to me to be a minister - all it means to me right now is being able to say I'm registered to perform spiritual rites including marriage with an actual church behind me.

What does it mean to be a minister? What does it mean to YOU to be a minister? How have you dealt with people who express distaste because they don't think it's appropriate or fair that you have gone on this path?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To minister is to serve and help those who need it. To be a minister is to be the one who serves and helps others. IMO of course.

There is also the clergy aspect. Many people can and will be close minded and ignorant, Many of them on the religious front will call themselves christian. Many will think this makes them righteous and/or authoritative. Ignore them and accept them. Try to teach them if you want but be prepared to bang your head against the wall. Christianity despite popular belief does not hold the monopoly on religion or spirituality. Also remind yourself of the many good christians there are. It helps.

Edited by Vegtam
  • Administrator

let me start you off: http://ulc.net/forum...ned-by-the-ulc/

welcome aboard :)

And as far as the Christian dissent, let me offer the following: John 15:16.

16Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

http://ulc.net/forum/index.php/topic/122431-what-the-ulc-is-about-and-why-we-can-ordain-you/

oh my goodness you guys, I wish I could 'like' all of these comments. thank you so much. I feel like everyone knows where I am coming from and that alone is really helpful.

bro. hex - wonderful, thank you :) I'm really glad I'm here!

Vegtam - it's interesting when you say to remind myself there are good Christians out there. I happen to know lots! ironically.. none of those are the ones who are saying these things to me. so I will do as you say, to accept them without letting their difference in opinion change my attitude. thank you :)

Murphzlaw1 - thanks! I love that quote. looks like I have some reading to do - thanks again, haha :)

When I tell folks that I am an Ordained Minister, complete with Certificate of Ordination by a recognized church, the first thing they ask is what denomination as though it has to be Christian. When I tell them it is the ULC, they say, "Isn't that an online church?" When I agree that it is, I receive snickers or outright laughter and then the jokes begin. I try to do my ministering without any hoorah's or mentioning of my ordination.

Hi Constantine!

I like what vegtam said... "To minister is to serve and help....." but would add that you don't NEED to be ordained to be of service to others. The ordination is only necessary if you're going to perform rites restricted by your government to "ordained" ministers. Congrats on having found your path, and good luck on your journey!

What does it mean to be a minister? What does it mean to YOU to be a minister? How have you dealt with people who express distaste because they don't think it's appropriate or fair that you have gone on this path?

Welcome to the forum.

As for your question, I really have no answer for you. I am not a minister. I am a rabbi. As a rabbi I am called to be

יורה יורה כדת של תורה

a true teacher of Jewish values, Jewish insights.

Welcome Constantine to our little family of friends. Any advice I could give has already been stated above so all I can add is above all else, remain true to your Self and what you Believe. All else is little more than a distraction to what you are suppose to be!

Blessings of Peace,

"Al"

What does it mean to be a minister?

My view:

To help those who look for help, be it spiritual, help with relationship problems, personal matters, dealing with other people, children, dealing with death, diseases, handicaps etc.

The minister is the person who steps up, reaches his hand, is the one who understands that for each individual on the Earth there is a unique and valid truth and perspective.

I was ordained by ULC in 1978. I can not say what it means for one reason. The meaning changes over time. This much I can say. It is a calling.

The ULC is not an on-line church. It is a church that has an on-line presence. The first Universal Life Church was set up by Kirby Hensley, in Modesto California, in 1959. Strictly brick and mortar -- long before the internet. It has been in continuos operation and is still there.

Beware the power and authority game. So many enjoy taking the wind out of the sails of others. It is not for others to define you or your church. Ordination comes from God. IMO.

Welcome to the forum.

:)

this has been one of the most validating things I think I've ever experienced. This is why I need to be here! You

I really love the general idea I'm getting here - to minister is to serve; you don't have to be ordained to help others.

This has really brought a lot of peace to me. Thank you guys, so much, for sharing these thoughts with me. :cloud9:

I became ordained for legal reasons only. In my religious practice, clergy serve specific community and temple functions. Each layperson is responsible for maintaining his or her own relationship with the Gods, to make his or her own offerings and sacrifices, and to perform any personal religious obligations. Weddings, funerals, and various rites of passage are traditionally performed by the members of the family and household, not by temple clergy.

The function of traditional Hellenic priesthood is related to the upkeep of the temple and the leadership of public ritual regarding that temple. Though they can give counsel and advice, it's not part of the duties of a priest or priestess. The priest or priestess does not serve as an intermediary between the Gods and mortals; and, other than specific cases involving individual cult or mystery lineage, the service or the priesthood is for a limited amount of time. For example, little girls of a certain age in Athens were traditionally required to serve the temple of Artemis as arktos (bear) priestesses for a specific festival period.

I don't feel that the sporadic Hellenic community requires priests or priestesses until there are temples for such a priesthood to serve.

Everyone has an understanding of what a minister-priest should be. I think that it is difficult to define, but somone has mentioned that it is a calling. I have found that it is a calling to develop Understanding, Love, and Compassion in my heart, and helping other to do the same. Not an easy path! I know how difficult in can be, and I know how to help others face those difficulties.

I am sure that your spiritual path and ministry will be of service to many. When people laugh at my ministry, I just smile. Many spiritual giants suffered ridicule from their contemporaries.

Welcome to our family!

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

~ Welcome Constantine! :D

I became ordained when my father died. He'd gotten ordained on-line & thought it a joke. He was an Atheist & thought it funny. I didn't.

I've been called "Mama Claire' since I was 12 , I always listened. { Just others I didn't know well, they'd find me & talk. I don't repeat. }

I believe ministering is assisting, listening when others have no one else to listen. So many people just need a person to hear them...

I have found dear friends here, advice & assistance & inspiration!

I sincerely hope that you enjoy learning & teaching & making friends here also :)

(I was raised Mormon but when I was 16 (so... 6-ish years ago) had a series of events that happened that made me not interested in following the normal conventions. Since then I've followed my heart to different paths and I'm currently an energy therapist/life coach with an emphasis in spiritual counseling, running my business to help clients in one-on-one situations and writing a book. I have struggled with the concept of religion and after delving into many, I've decided I don't like any that I've seen because I would benefit from something that has a few significant guidelines and almost no strict/specific rules.)

I was guided to the ULC site and upon reading the quote on the front - "Do only that which is right" - and I literally felt like this was the best place for me to be right now and went through the ordination process immediately.

I kind of forgot about it until I was adding the event to my Facebook timeline the other day and I've been told that it's a bit inappopriate for me to call myself a minister if I am not a Christian. Now, I know I'm treading the line of sounding like I am letting them convince me that doing what I feel is right is actually wrong, but they bring up a good point. Since I haven't been a minister for long, I don't feel like I can appropriately identify what it means to me to be a minister - all it means to me right now is being able to say I'm registered to perform spiritual rites including marriage with an actual church behind me.

Hello Constantine and a warm welcome to you.

What does it mean to me to be a "minister?"

Well----the very first thing is for me to remove the veils from my own eyes. This is a necessary ongoing process----otherwise my words and life example remain stale and unfulfilled.

The second thing is to carry out the mission for which I incarnated. That is----to offer any unconditional love----life----light which I become capable of shinning into this world----no matter how small. This is all for the sake of coordinating with my extended family (both on and off world) to facilitate the imminent and completely unprecedented global consciousness transformation into a completely new paradigm----Newtime.

The third thing is for me to listen carefully to my inner guides and learn to stay open in order to brighten the daily path for myself----but also for any other being----great----small----good----bad which synchronistically comes into my energy field. I have found that there is no such thing as "coincidence."

Interconnectivity is the undeniable fact of the Universal Life. :derisive: We are one.

namaste

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of forgot about it until I was adding the event to my Facebook timeline the other day and I've been told that it's a bit inappopriate for me to call myself a minister if I am not a Christian. Now, I know I'm treading the line of sounding like I am letting them convince me that doing what I feel is right is actually wrong, but they bring up a good point.

Welcome to the FORUM family constantine 319,

As you have already read - there is a community filled with great diversity here - and also great wisdom.

People will snicker (a VERY few) when you mention ULC or reveal that your church affirmed your ordination with an on line notification.

If I might - here are a couple of suggestions. As noted by an earlier poster - there IS an actual church building. This is not a fly-by-night operation. It isn't happening in a dark hallway in a basement with a bank of under-paid phone operators.

It is a very real church. With a real office and real professional people processing paperwork the same as every other "real" church.

This church does not REQUIRE that you attend a seminary, although if you feel you need to do that - there is an online seminary with real classes and a real schedule and a real state validated diploma. All the components of a real church exist. They simply do not impose a narrow doctrine. They do not impose an education requirement (by the way some big name mainstream churches operate exactly the same way they simply do not provide the convenience of doing so on line.)

So when people mock you - it is very likely that they are showing their own ignorance of the facts in this situation.

It is an opportunity to educate them if you choose to do that. As a new minister you might not be comfortable teaching the snickering types so it is fine if are uncomfortable saying something to them.

An additional thing to consider is more than a few ULC ministers do also have church buildings and congregations and do have a physical presence in their community.

There are people who get ordained on a lark or as a joke. That does not diminish the work of ULC at all. That is one person doing a silly thing. Maybe even a disrespectful thing. But one person acting foolishly outside the confines of appropriateness does not at al lessen the validity of your credential.

Your credential as noted by many is legal in most jurisdictions without any problem or any sense by the legal community that is anything less or different than any other ordination.

As you have read more than a few of us were ordained through this church because of the belief in doing what is right - (like you) - because of the legal protection or because of an inner yearning to try and be and do more.

What does it mean to me? It means I took a stand publicly. I can't back off of that position easily now. I have opened myself up to scrutiny from those who have a propensity to judge, opened myself up to be used by those who have a tendency to take, opened myself up to serve even when I am too weary to want to serve and opened myself up to give even when I don't personally care for the individual asking for help.

It does not make me better or more important than any other human being. NOT EVEN a little bit. I am exactly the same as every other human attempting to be decent and respectful.

The only thing it means is that I wasn't afraid to go on record as such.

I am willing to be judged accordingly.

The decision to publicly state you ARE a minister doesn't end when the certification arrives. It is a decision you will repeat daily - with hundreds of chances to do what is right in very small but significant ways. ULC allows each person to be a better person in the most comfortable and supportive of environments. At a self-directed pace. It is quite unique in the world and quite wonderful.

Welcome.

Von

• Amulet locked this topic