Doctor Of Philosophy In Religion From Ulc

I was curious if anyone has more information on the Doctor of Philosophy in Religion from ULC (http://www.ulc.net/i...age=shop&cat=17). The questions I have are as follows:

1) Is this degree accredited by the
IAA just as the Masters Degree in Religion is?

2) Do they send you a book as they do for the Master's Degree?

3) How many questions are on the test?

4) What is the format of the test? (multiple choice, fill in the blank, etc.)

The only paragraphs regarding the Doctor of Philosophy and the Master's Degree are as follows:

For the Ph.D.-

"We offer a Ph.D. in religion. Take this course, answer 75% of the questions correctly and we will grant you a Ph.D. in religion. People around the world have this degree.

Enter the name and address of the person this degree is for. It will be shipped to the "ship to" address provided as checkout, however we need the name and address of the recipient so that it can be properly recorded in the church records."

For the Master's-

"This is a wonderful course and it is also an accredited degree by the International Accrediting Association. Find out what Reverend Hensley believes about religion. We will send you the required textbook. Study it very carefully. Answer the questions on the back page. If you get 75% correct on the exam, we will grant you a Masters Degree in Religion.
Enter the name and address of the person this degree is for. It will be shipped to the "ship to" address provided as checkout, however we need the name and address of the recipient so that it can be properly recorded in the church records.
Edited by maj11381
  • Administrator

ULC degrees are all HONORARY degrees.

For specific information regarding study guides, types of test questions, etc.

I suggest that you write (or email) the ULC Seminary, and pose such questions there.

http://www.ulcsemina...naryProgram.php

The degrees offered by ULC Seminary are different than those offered by ULC.NET and ULCHQ.COM

Only Murph can answer this with certainty. But, the IAA is not recognized by the US Department of Education, etc.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. I believe it was 20, I will have to check my copy.

4. Multiple choice and fill in the blank. The test is open book

Hex, no not all ULC degrees are honorary, only the DD is honorary, the rest are earned.

Mark is correct that while all HQ ULC degrees (ie the ones you find on ULC.net and ulchq.com are "accredited", that accreditation is not recognized by the US Dept of Education. The accreditation the ULC has is basically a "self accreditation" as the body that accredited the degrees is an arm of the church offering them.

So what does that mean, well any employer that requires a accredited degree, this WILL NOT work.

I was curious if anyone has more information on the Doctor of Philosophy in Religion from ULC (http://www.ulc.net/i...age=shop&cat=17). The questions I have are as follows:

1) Is this degree accredited by the
IAA just as the Masters Degree in Religion is?

2) Do they send you a book as they do for the Master's Degree?

3) How many questions are on the test?

4) What is the format of the test? (multiple choice, fill in the blank, etc.)

The only paragraphs regarding the Doctor of Philosophy and the Master's Degree are as follows:

For the Ph.D.-

"We offer a Ph.D. in religion. Take this course, answer 75% of the questions correctly and we will grant you a Ph.D. in religion. People around the world have this degree.

Enter the name and address of the person this degree is for. It will be shipped to the "ship to" address provided as checkout, however we need the name and address of the recipient so that it can be properly recorded in the church records."

For the Master's-

"This is a wonderful course and it is also an accredited degree by the International Accrediting Association. Find out what Reverend Hensley believes about religion. We will send you the required textbook. Study it very carefully. Answer the questions on the back page. If you get 75% correct on the exam, we will grant you a Masters Degree in Religion.
Enter the name and address of the person this degree is for. It will be shipped to the "ship to" address provided as checkout, however we need the name and address of the recipient so that it can be properly recorded in the church records.

You never did say what you want the degree for. It makes a difference.

• 4 years later...

Really, what useful purpose does a degree have if its not recognized by the DOE, or anyone else for that matter? It would seem that it would be nothing more than a useless piece of paper on my wall, for purposes of practicality, where the money could perhaps be spent more productively???

On 2/17/2017 at 8:10 PM, ULCneo said:

Really, what useful purpose does a degree have if its not recognized by the DOE, or anyone else for that matter? 

It can open a few doors for you. As long as you arent trying to use it as a qualification for a job, it's fairly unlikely anyone will ask you for specifics and, when people see a title or string of letters attached to your name, they can be more willing to give you a chance to prove yourself. Basically, it allows you to exploit the reflexive deference to authority most people have been raised with.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 1:42 PM, mererdog said:

It can open a few doors for you. As long as you arent trying to use it as a qualification for a job, it's fairly unlikely anyone will ask you for specifics and, when people see a title or string of letters attached to your name, they can be more willing to give you a chance to prove yourself. Basically, it allows you to exploit the reflexive deference to authority most people have been raised with.

Well said.

Plus, of course, there is the fact of legitimacy within the issuing community.  Just as my doctorate from NYU is accepted by them and their fellow "accredited" schools, and by the companies and institutions that buy into that accreditation, so too is my doctorate and ministerial title from ULC accepted within THIS community and all who accept the legitimacy of the titles in the world.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 20/2/2017 at 0:42 PM, mererdog said:

Yes but one's position of ordination should hopefully do that much without resorting to something that is too close to fraud for comfort.

10 hours ago, ULCneo said:

Yes but one's position of ordination should hopefully do that much without resorting to something that is too close to fraud for comfort.

The same differences of opinion about what is a real degree exist about what is a real ordination. The whole "the authority I recognise is the only real authority" notion is extremely prevalent....

2 hours ago, mererdog said:

The same differences of opinion about what is a real degree exist about what is a real ordination. The whole "the authority I recognise is the only real authority" notion is extremely prevalent....

Not quite- Ordination stems from religion whereas a degree usually stems from, and is a representation of, education- where the government has the right to control education, under our form of law.

2 hours ago, ULCneo said:

Not quite- Ordination stems from religion whereas a degree usually stems from, and is a representation of, education- where the government has the right to control education, under our form of law.

To legislislate religious education is to legislate religious practice. To credential religious education is to establish religious standards. These things are unconstitutional government acts in the US.

Edited by mererdog
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/4/2017 at 3:38 PM, mererdog said:

To legislate religious education is to legislate religious practice. To credential religious education is to establish religious standards. These things are unconstitutional government acts in the US.

Not quite- education is neutral of, and has nothing to do with religion- You can get a doctorate of theology at Harvard University- which prides itself on it's secular footing. However, even if I'm to say that your correct to say that education=practice we then have the fact that the government has a compelling cause to control education because of the fact that there needs to be some form of a 'standard' as to exactly what should be covered in the particular field of study. We also have the fact that the term "doctor" most usually (to most people anyways)  implies an MD, DO, Psy.D., or Ph.D. And hence it is improper for the church to use these terms as "religious" titles- out of the potential harm that one might use the title to defraud someone, to unlawfully practice psychology, etc. Because of the fact that the general public isn't familiar with those types of titles used in a religious context. Hence, such use possess a potential harm to the public if misused by bad actors. (and we don't need to look far to find bad actors in the church, unfortunately. The catholic church has been a sad example of this.)

On 5/9/2017 at 2:22 AM, ULCneo said:

Not quite- education is neutral of, and has nothing to do with religion- You can get a doctorate of theology at Harvard University- which prides itself on it's secular footing. 

You can teach math and it can have nothing to do with religion. You cant teach religion without religion. That's sort of obvious, isn't it? Give government authority over religious education, and you give government authority to pick and choose what can be taught and how. This gives them authority to say we can only be taught from a Catholic Bible, or that anyone who isn't a Baptist is unqualified to teach the Bible. 

As for compelling interest, the Bill of Rights exists because there are things where principle should always trump practical concerns.

Also, for the record, Harvard Divinity School describes itself as non-sectarian, not secular. 

Edited by mererdog
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

In my experience, on those rare occasions when I was addressed as Reverend -- I knew I was going to be asked for money.

I have the Honorary D.D. and the Metaphysics degree.  I've never been tempted to use either of them in any way.

I was wondering if anybody had actually used their ULC degree for anything.  Ever.