What Could Cause You To Kill Another Person?

Youch

Perfect answer...... Nearly everyone else said they would kill to protect themselves or loved ones, I had wondered if anyone would kill to protect someone they didn't even know. That's very unselfish

There are many "others" I would not be willing to put my life on the line for or to use lethal force for.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we see how the number of circumstances under which we would kill broadens, with only a little nudging. Interestingly, nearly everyone has identified the actions of others as the reason they would kill. This strikes me as a displacement of personal responsibility. I would kill them, if they did such and such. They did such and such, so it is their fault they are dead.

I might end up killing someone if they posed a threat to others. But, I know that the actual reason I would kill them is because I was negligent in finding an alternative solution.

I might end up killing someone if they posed a threat to others. But, I know that the actual reason I would kill them is because I was negligent in finding an alternative solution.

That may well be true Koki, but certainly you can recognize that "negligent" is a bit harsh, since it denotes carelessness or unreasonableness on your part. Many situations, like the one you describe (and I'm assuming you mean a deadly threat), do not allow appropriate time for creativity in finding the least violent means to detain an aggressor and a balancing of interests of all parties involved. When someone poses an immediate, deadly threat to yourself or others, it would be careless and unreasonable, ie negligent, to simply allow it to happen because you don't want to kill. Self defense and defense of others is a justifiable and, in some cases, heroic act even if someone loses his life.

And we see how the number of circumstances under which we would kill broadens, with only a little nudging. Interestingly, nearly everyone has identified the actions of others as the reason they would kill. This strikes me as a displacement of personal responsibility. I would kill them, if they did such and such. They did such and such, so it is their fault they are dead.

It IS possible that there were no other solution.

Indeed.

The original question was 'what could cause you to kill'.

No mention of justification or righteousness there, Yet it seems to have tacitly morphed into 'when would it be a jolly good thing for you to kill someone.'

That may well be true Koki, but certainly you can recognize that "negligent" is a bit harsh, since it denotes carelessness or unreasonableness on your part. Many situations, like the one you describe (and I'm assuming you mean a deadly threat), do not allow appropriate time for creativity in finding the least violent means to detain an aggressor and a balancing of interests of all parties involved. When someone poses an immediate, deadly threat to yourself or others, it would be careless and unreasonable, ie negligent, to simply allow it to happen because you don't want to kill. Self defense and defense of others is a justifiable and, in some cases, heroic act even if someone loses his life.

Then it requires preparing ahead of time for such an event. Want to know one thing that is counter productive to that preparation. Convincing oneself that not being able to find that alternative because I was unprepared is absolution for being unprepared. Another is preparing to kill. Am I unprepared for some situations.. certainly. But that is my fault.

It IS possible that there were no other solution.

Maybe, but probably not. It may be that the opportunity has already been bungled by the time I realize it is necessary to intervene.. but, that is poor planning, poor performance. Not proof that there was no alternative solution. Edited by kokigami

Then it requires preparing ahead of time for such an event. Want to know one thing that is counter productive to that preparation. Convincing oneself that not being able to find that alternative because I was unprepared is absolution for being unprepared. Another is preparing to kill. Am I unprepared for some situations.. certainly. But that is my fault.

Maybe, but probably not. It may be that the opportunity has already been bungled by the time I realize it is necessary to intervene.. but, that is poor planning, poor performance. Not proof that there was no alternative solution.

It must be tough to beat yourself up wondering if you are prepared for every eventuality where you might have to have an alternative to lethal force in order to defend your life or the life of others from lethal force. Maybe you live in a bunker and never venture out. I do not understand how a person could possibly be that prepared. Maybe you have no intention of any defense.

Edited by Brother Kaman

no, not really. I don't beat myself up about it. I simply take a moment at times to look for alternatives readily available in my surroundings. Rather than prepare to take a life, I prepare to get creative, very fast, even if that puts me at risk. I accept that I cannot be completely prepared, but those with the kill or be killed mentality are also not completely prepared, so that doesn't put me at a disadvantage. I see it as an advantage. Consider the circumstances of the Gabby Giffords event and the retired officer who took down the shooter. He didn't have to kill to achieve that result. He did take a bullet in the mean time. I see that as a good trade.

And sometimes the individual wants to be killed and leaves no choice.

Yes, I know that is insane but the reactive mind works that way sometimes.

Sometimes it appears to an individual that the only way to stop them from harming others is to be, themselves, killed.

really.. so, how do you identify these people. Aaaand, just because they want you to kill them, doesn't mean you have to do it, does it. No, this is just an excuse to kill someone.

I think they are identified by toe tag probably or is that just on TV? No, it does not mean you have to kill them but sometimes they do put one in a position of choosing what is best for the largest number of dynamics and I, who do a lot of good in the society, is more valuable to that society than someone who wants to succumb and die.

You may disagree with that and you may be willing to allow yourself to be killed over some insanity but that we would just have to disagree about. I happen to think you do more good than someone who wants you to kill them. I would support you if you did kill someone under those circumstances.

Hi guys! :cupidarrow:

I'm just taking a break from writing by ... um ... writing. Nice to see you all here again. I've had trouble finding forums where the people are intelligent, well-mannered and fun to boot.

I don't mean "fun, also" - I mean you're fun to boot,

Now then ... KILL!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I could only see myself taking anothers life in an extreme situation. As to whether or not I would kill if it were no longer illigal; I don't think I posess the mentality or phsycologicalness in which to handle doing something like that. I am human enough to want to with certain people; but it will never be an action I do outright. Legal or not.

• Amulet locked this topic