What Could Cause You To Kill Another Person?

Youch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless we have already killed a person and can relate what caused us to do that, then no one could say for sure what would cause them to kill until the time came to do the killing.

I disagree. There are many people I would kill in a heartbeat, if I were given the opportunity and freedom to do so.

I do believe even the Buddha said he would kill to prevent another from suffering great karma. Like if the Buddha found out some fruitcake decided he was going to shoot up some school full of kids.

I saw that on an interview between him and Bill O'Reily ;)

I believe I was asking, what could cause you to do so. The question remains largely unanswered. :hi:

There is one answer that answers the question......FEAR......fear causes others to kill.

I have no doubt I could and would pull the trigger if my family or dear friends were threatened with serious harm. I could probably kill, as well, if I knew that doing so would keep that person from doing great harm to a great many people, like going back in a time machine and killing Hitler (ignoring any potential paradoxical havoc that could cause).

There are times that I have felt an emotional desire to kill some **, but those are just emotions and I would not act on them. One person from this forum has stirred up such emotions a time or two, though they are no longer here, having either faked their own death, or died with a curse on their lips. But such hatreds are part of our reptile brain, part of what makes us human, and fortunately in most cases our pre-frontal cortex can overcome those base urges with rationality and compassion.

- Rev. Octopus

Sadly to say at this point in my spiritual development me as well.

You don't see this as a survival instinct? Do you really find issue in the nuance of "spiritual development" as opposed to real interactions?

If I am taking all your possessions, you do nothing?

If I am raping our family, you do nothing?

At what point do you escape the mule fitters of political correctiness and instead act as an alpha male in your species?

I have no doubt I could and would pull the trigger if my family or dear friends were threatened with serious harm. I could probably kill, as well, if I knew that doing so would keep that person from doing great harm to a great many people, like going back in a time machine and killing Hitler (ignoring any potential paradoxical havoc that could cause).

There are times that I have felt an emotional desire to kill some **, but those are just emotions and I would not act on them. One person from this forum has stirred up such emotions a time or two, though they are no longer here, having either faked their own death, or died with a curse on their lips. But such hatreds are part of our reptile brain, part of what makes us human, and fortunately in most cases our pre-frontal cortex can overcome those base urges with rationality and compassion.

- Rev. Octopus

Thank you for your honest answer....

I am waiting for Happy's punch line, how about:

"See, that's why having a firearm is a good thing".

?

Per usual, you miss the point entirely. Care to answer the question?

I am not certain that I would be able to intentionally kill another person but I hope I could if I was the only one available to defend my family or myself from being assaulted.

I used to feel differently about this. Several years ago I answered a similar question (with great conviction at the time), “Under no circumstances would I ever intentionally kill another person.” Another forum member (I believe it was Mr. Henry Lange) make me reconsider my position when he candidly challenged my stance, given that I am a parent. After much thought on the subject, I eventually changed my mind.

I can come up with several scenarios that would cause me to accidently kill another person but, apart from the aforementioned reason, I cannot imagine what could cause me to intentionally take someone’s life.

As an aside, I wonder if you were not making a subtle point that we humans are responsible for harming others, since no one said “carrying a firearm”.

• Amulet locked this topic