What Would You Do/not Do For A Million Dollars?

Youch

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... I was thinking more about it. If I had the money free and clear, I would hire my old boss from H&R Block (An enrolled agent who is a master at tax code and how to invest one's money for the best possibility of a positive return on the investment), then form a charitible foundation. From there, I would buy the now-abandoned mall where I used to work. There is over 2 linear miles of storefront that can be converted to shelter the homeless, put in a clinic for doctors and dentists, there is the old food court where folks could be fed, form an auxillary office for labor and training to have job search classes and assistance, convert a store or two into classroom space for the college across the street to have volunteers teach English as a Second Language, and other life skills classes (how to balance a checkbook, better shopping skills to maximize one's shopping money....).

This lot would be ideal because it is on a busline on the main road to a major business hub, has a college across the street, and is still close enough to the capital city that all can be accessed by bus in half an hour or under.

I have thought it sinful that this lot remains empty for no other reason than the owners (who own a major grocery chain) refuse to allow it to be developed to prevent a large company with a logo that looks like an asterisk from putting in a super store. Apparently, it would be best to just let the buidling rot.

There are even job opportunities to be had - cleaning and maintaining the building, working the kitchens of the food court, security (could do it as an internship for the many schools that train security officers here), or the various offices that could be housed there.

At the very least, I would want to see:

Public transportation (already there)

Secure housing for homeless

Food for the hungry

Resources to teach life skills and job skills

Basic check ups and health care (There are medical offices and a hospital within 5 miles for folks who need more intensive care).

I see the living spaces as open designed dorms, with cots separated by clinic curtains - not glamorous, but it provides a basic shade of privacy.

The best part is that the layout of the building would allow the housing spaces to be set with men on one floor, women on another, and there are wings for the food and office space. There is one wing left over to house families so married couples would not need to be separated, but would not have to be housed in with the singles. (Yes, I have had over a year to think about how I would love to see this space used for the betterment of locals who so desparately need some help).

My area is on the brink. I can barely name a person who is not living one paycheck (or less) away from a critical disaster. I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, because a year ago, I didn't. Homelessness is not just for "those people" or for druggies or the mentally unstable. There are many reasons one can lose access to good health care or housing and far too little is done to not only help the immediate need, but to provide long term solutions, such as finding new employment, developing educational skills, learning how to interview for a job, and so on.

Well, for now it all remains a dream, but if I had the money, that would be the plan. The only thing left from there would be to take a small corner store front and turn it into a shared place of worship where area clergy could hold services for those who wished to attend. No one's faith would have a monopoly on the spot, but a rotating schedule would allow the space to be used for services or just quiet relection on the "down" times. No one would be required to attend, but it is there for those who seek.

I think the time has come where we abandon the everyone has a private home model and start to embrace community housing with supportive resources. It is not a lifestyle for everyone, but it is less expensive to live as a community, and a far better option than the standard homeless shelter model or the streets.

Okay... I was thinking more about it. If I had the money free and clear, I would hire my old boss from H&R Block (An enrolled agent who is a master at tax code and how to invest one's money for the best possibility of a positive return on the investment), then form a charitible foundation. From there, I would buy the now-abandoned mall where I used to work. There is over 2 linear miles of storefront that can be converted to shelter the homeless, put in a clinic for doctors and dentists, there is the old food court where folks could be fed, form an auxillary office for labor and training to have job search classes and assistance, convert a store or two into classroom space for the college across the street to have volunteers teach English as a Second Language, and other life skills classes (how to balance a checkbook, better shopping skills to maximize one's shopping money....).

This lot would be ideal because it is on a busline on the main road to a major business hub, has a college across the street, and is still close enough to the capital city that all can be accessed by bus in half an hour or under.

I have thought it sinful that this lot remains empty for no other reason than the owners (who own a major grocery chain) refuse to allow it to be developed to prevent a large company with a logo that looks like an asterisk from putting in a super store. Apparently, it would be best to just let the buidling rot.

There are even job opportunities to be had - cleaning and maintaining the building, working the kitchens of the food court, security (could do it as an internship for the many schools that train security officers here), or the various offices that could be housed there.

Food for the hungry

Basic check ups and health care (There are medical offices and a hospital within 5 miles for folks who need more intensive care).

I see the living spaces as open designed dorms, with cots separated by clinic curtains - not glamorous, but it provides a basic shade of privacy.

The best part is that the layout of the building would allow the housing spaces to be set with men on one floor, women on another, and there are wings for the food and office space. There is one wing left over to house families so married couples would not need to be separated, but would not have to be housed in with the singles. (Yes, I have had over a year to think about how I would love to see this space used for the betterment of locals who so desparately need some help).

My area is on the brink. I can barely name a person who is not living one paycheck (or less) away from a critical disaster. I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, because a year ago, I didn't. Homelessness is not just for "those people" or for druggies or the mentally unstable. There are many reasons one can lose access to good health care or housing and far too little is done to not only help the immediate need, but to provide long term solutions, such as finding new employment, developing educational skills, learning how to interview for a job, and so on.

Well, for now it all remains a dream, but if I had the money, that would be the plan. The only thing left from there would be to take a small corner store front and turn it into a shared place of worship where area clergy could hold services for those who wished to attend. No one's faith would have a monopoly on the spot, but a rotating schedule would allow the space to be used for services or just quiet relection on the "down" times. No one would be required to attend, but it is there for those who seek.

I think the time has come where we abandon the everyone has a private home model and start to embrace community housing with supportive resources. It is not a lifestyle for everyone, but it is less expensive to live as a community, and a far better option than the standard homeless shelter model or the streets.

:friends:

Food for the hungry

I know some anarcho-communists who'd volunteer there if you ever got that. A good thing to think of on this May Day, I think.

Food for the hungry

But what would you do to get for that million dollars?

That was the what would I do for it. I would show the person willing to give me those funds that instead of prostituting myself or my values and wasting money on excesses that are unnecessary, I would turn around and better the life situation of those around me.

Was was the benefit for me? If I can make life better for those around me, the question is what wasn't the benefit for me?

One million?

Really now one million is not that much money.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and one million gets you a nice home nothing more nothing less.

At any rate assuming one has other assets as well I would advice to write naked far out of the money SP500 puts, easy money! Because if the stock market really collapse you can bet your money the government and the federal reserve are going to boost it again. And if not, then hell breaks lose anyway so having money is not going to save you.

Not all investments have to be made in the stock market. There is also the matching grant circle, where funds are given to match or exceed a percentage already gotten for the foundation. Some parties are willing to invest in a project, and will fund a foundation but will ultimately want their investment monies back. So instead of taking a loan from the bank, one takes the donation, hopes to increase the return on that investment, and then return the original funding back to the grantor, less any additonal assets generated from wise investment of the gift funding. The risk in that last scenario is that the foundation is also obligated to return the loaned funds should they take a loss on that gift, so the money needs to come from other areas. This is where good planning, banking, and investing comes in. With enough money in reserve, it is easier to take that risk and ride out periods where the investment is not returning. When dealing with smaller sums of money and personal finance, it is difficult to do this.

Also, buying abandoned spaces tends to be easier than buying places that are just empty and for lease/rent/sale. Most cities fear large abandoned spaces like a dead factory or mall, because they are havens for crime. Without proper security, if someone breaks in and squats the space, who would know? But if that squatter accidentally (or deliberately) sets the place afire, how much of the city's resources need to be tied up to control it? If someone is taking over the space, they are obligated to pay the taxes, utilities and so on. People make money, people benefit. Add the security, health care, education, and housing and many people benefit well.

My idea is not really a new one, it is just a turning of older ideas to meet current needs. As long as supermarkets and restaurants are putting edible food in the dumpster, as long as people are working and sleeping on the streets while buildings are sitting idle and empty, something is seriously wrong.

I have said it many times and I mean it, and I think Dorian can back me up here, having known me a while - if anyone or a group of people have the funding to make such a foundation possible, I would love to do the legwork necessary (obviously with help) to turn old commercial properties into community spaces that help get people off the street and into better living situations. We can be a positive change.

In the meantime, I still give my gently worn clothing, bedding, towels and textiles to those in need each time I update my uniforms. At work, shirts need crisp collars and pants need to look sharp. On the street, one needs to be covered and decent and hopefully warm. I donate of my time to help those who have less than me. It is a small bit, but it is what I am able to give. If each of us gave even a portion of what we could spare, there would be countless people in better situations.

So using your example, if someone decides to run naked through the streets (if that would be what they would do) they can expect to be paid? You logic has a flaw there.

You asked what I would do if offered a million dollars. I answered, in rather extensive detail. Sadly, I don't realistically expect to be offered that kind of money. Or were you offering?

~ I do love you Devon! :friends:

OK. The big question still stands & no one's been asking { ya silly folk! }

We've had examples of what some would NOT do for the money...

Would you...

...Crud, it's hard to think of anything that everyone hasn't already nixed! Unwanted sex, lying, betrayal, etc.

Ya bunch of Ministers you!!!

& it's not like there's not already enough videos of people doin' stupid for free anyway... :dntknw:

Sorry, seems this may be the wrong forum...

How much money would it take before you would steal a candy bar away from a child?

I would be very tempted if the price were right to steal the candy and then replace it with a whole carton of said candy, but feel so very bad that I caused hurt to the child even for an instant. I think $10,000 might be enough.

So using your example, if someone decides to run naked through the streets (if that would be what they would do) they can expect to be paid? You logic has a flaw there.

You asked what I would do if offered a million dollars. I answered, in rather extensive detail. Sadly, I don't realistically expect to be offered that kind of money. Or were you offering?

Ok, you could see that there was an obvious mistake to my question and you chose to answer it one way. Now I would like you to answer it the other. Just what would you do or not do for a million dollars?

Of course, you certainly have the right and privilege to just blow it off and ignore it.

Edited by Brother Kaman

Okay, since I asnswered the question based on my known interpretation of what you were asking (yes, I speak English fluently), perhaps you would like to reword your question so I can answer what you wanted to know?

My understanding was to imagine some benefactor offering me one million dollars and asking me what I would do with same. I would prove to that benefactor that the monies would be used to benefit those in need. If I took any profit at all from it, it might be to take housing on the site or to eat one of the meals I prepared and dine with those I was serving.

Perhaps you were looking for the more traditional answer instead of the sincere one.

Usually the question is phrased such as would you engage a prostitute for a million dollars? I would not. Not only would I not sacrifice my standards, I would fully expect anyone who would expect me to go so against my standards is also someone who I could never trust to come through with the funding, so I would lose not only the money, but my soul. Hardly a worthwhile investment. Better to give something that benefits humanity than go to my death benefiting none - including myself.

But still, I say, anyone with a mil who wants to put me to the test need only send a PM.

I think the question might imply something more cosmic than it is.

I have sold out my principles -- for a lot less. In fact, minimum wage. I was collecting signatures, for a temp agency, for a candidate I had no use for.

In daily life, it is so easy to sell out. Without even thinking about it.

Okay, since I asnswered the question based on my known interpretation of what you were asking (yes, I speak English fluently), perhaps you would like to reword your question so I can answer what you wanted to know?

My understanding was to imagine some benefactor offering me one million dollars and asking me what I would do with same. I would prove to that benefactor that the monies would be used to benefit those in need. If I took any profit at all from it, it might be to take housing on the site or to eat one of the meals I prepared and dine with those I was serving.

Perhaps you were looking for the more traditional answer instead of the sincere one.

Usually the question is phrased such as would you engage a prostitute for a million dollars? I would not. Not only would I not sacrifice my standards, I would fully expect anyone who would expect me to go so against my standards is also someone who I could never trust to come through with the funding, so I would lose not only the money, but my soul. Hardly a worthwhile investment. Better to give something that benefits humanity than go to my death benefiting none - including myself.

But still, I say, anyone with a mil who wants to put me to the test need only send a PM.

Thank you, BrDevon

A better question might be; "What would you do for money?"

Assume you are destitute, not a dime to your name, no where to sleep, and haven't eaten in 4 days.

What would you do for a little money under those circumstances? I have a feeling that most of us would

put our high sounding morals on a shelf and cross some boundaries that we wouldn't otherwise consider.

People do what they have to do to survive. Wouldn't most of us cheat, steal, break laws, and lower our

moral standards in order to sustain ourselves and our families? If it came down to 'Steal a loaf of bread

or die', what wouldn't you do for money?

• Amulet locked this topic