Quiz Question...

Bluecat

No more contributions?

OK - fine efforts, prizes all round.

These words are all autoantonyms - that is, a word which can have two opposite meanings.

The strict version says that the word should not need to be modified or collocated to make the opposite meaning, and the meaning should really be opposite, not just different.

So in baseball (I believe) you strike when you hit the ball, and you strike when you fail to hit it.

to dust is great: it can mean to remove fine particles from a surface, and it can mean to sprinkle fine particles onto a surface

and so on.

It's a fine language, English, but can you imagine how difficult this stuff is for a non-native learner?

I confess that is what makes me have a slight advantage in this game. Having a hearing loss and also using Sign Language and having taught English as a Second Language, I have learned to think in a hybrid of Sign and English and borrowed from the Sign culture of show me what you're saying, don't just tell me, so when I face a word like those in the game, there is a momentary pause if it is not obvious in context, where the mind says "what mean?" (Literal Sign Language)

In my college years and shortly after, I worked as a copy editor in an effort to develop skill with written English.

I confess that is what makes me have a slight advantage in this game. Having a hearing loss and also using Sign Language and having taught English as a Second Language, I have learned to think in a hybrid of Sign and English and borrowed from the Sign culture of show me what you're saying, don't just tell me, so when I face a word like those in the game, there is a momentary pause if it is not obvious in context, where the mind says "what mean?" (Literal Sign Language)

In my college years and shortly after, I worked as a copy editor in an effort to develop skill with written English.

Ah, well I won't hold your advantage against you, Bro Devon, you played the game like a gent - and taught me some American English I wasn't quite up to speed with.

This was fun - has anyone got another word game?

Edited by Bluecat