Faith And Israel

For all Abrahamic faiths Israel is a place where there are many important (historical) sites and theist or atheist alike the surroundings are simply lovely.

Did you visit Israel and do you have stories to share, what made you go there, what was your impression?

I visited Israel twice and both visits were very memorable.

I remember meeting my later girlfriend biking through Israel, I remember this guy who was about to make a big decision and he wanted to get inspiration from God by climbing both mount Carmel in the north and mount Sinai in the south. I remember seeing the awful face of racism, or getting stuck because of a bomb threat.

My favorite locations are the Dead Sea area, tranquil, colorful and the lovely Galilee area And going on a bus to climb the 'seven' mountains of Jerusalem is also very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an aunt who took a trip to Isreal with her "unsaved" brother, while there he was overcome by the spirit of the land and committed himself to christ. He was baptised in the Jordan River and got to see the empty tomb. He was the happiest he had ever been. Within a few days of coming home, he passed away. The last words he spoke to my aunt was how he had no fear of death, he finally knew where he was headed and was happy to go there. She said Isreal saved her brother.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Israel for over ten years and have dual citizenship. I was a single mother and took my two daughters and made aliya. What made me go there was an extremely strong desire to live in a country where the holidays and things important to you were part of daily life. It can be very difficult to be culturally and religously different in the U.S., and I wanted my to give my children an inheritence of culture and religous roots I don't have, and it worked, my two daughters still live there and are very happy.

Israel is a beautiful place, and is very diverse ... there can be snow on Mt. Hermon, green and lush in the Galeel (Galilee area), and blazing hot and sandy in Beersheva. The people are from many countries, some from other middle eastern places, many from Europe, a huge influx from Russian territories, and the latest are Ethiopians. You hear a lot of languages, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, English, French, Spanish and Yiddish.

There are so many places tourists don't go and only allowed to see the country from the bus or assigned stops.

Most tourists go to Beit Lechem (Bethleham) to see the cave of Yeshua's (Jesus) birth, but don't usually see Kever Rochel (Rachel's Tomb) who was buried along the road, or go to Machpelah in Hebron which has a recorded bill of sales documenting that land and cave belonged to Abraham and where he, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebekah and Leah are buried. The shuks are open markets that sell fresh bread and pita still warm from the oven, bags of nuts and spices, abounding tables of fruits and vegetables, still-flopping fish, and so much more. The air is filled with the shouts of competing vendors trying to attract your attention from other stalls.

When the buses go beyond the "green line" to the towns where many Israeli commuters live, usually some woman or girl will hand out booklets, each one is a different chapter of Psalms, most people will take one or two of them, and for about 15-20 minutes, everyone is reading, the entire bus is covered with a blanket of blessings and protection. I think if you tried that in the U.S. on a public bus, some would be offended or complain their rights were being violated.

I had friends visit Israel on church or Messianic tours, but they weren't allowed to let me take them places on their free days because the company's insurance didn't cover Israeli buses. :(

During Chanuka every family has oil lights and candles in their windows, most people live in apartments so the effect in the city is very beautiful. During Sukkot every balcony and empty spots between buildings are crowded with the decorated booths topped with palm fronds, everyone eats outside and hangs out in them (think camping out), even sidewalk cafes and roadside stops provide them. On Remembrance Day when the sirens go off, no matter what anyone is doing anywhere, everyone, everyone, stops and stands, cars on the highway pull over and a busy highway is still as people get out and show their respects. On Friday mornings, most produce stores will put out their just-outdated fruits and vegetables for free, for anyone in need to have food for the Sabbath. Even the poorest can make soup for Shabbat.

The people are diverse, strong-willed, and at first glance may seem dour, stony-faced, but in the next moment their face can break into a smile and invite you in for something to eat and drink. We lived there as Israeli's, which basically meant there wasn't enough money to see the tourist attractions, but I could go to the Kotel any time I wanted, and my bus to work drove by the Old City in Jerusalem every night - and we did vacations in Tzvat and Eilat - two very very beautiful places.

I had to return to the U.S, after ten years, my father had lung cancer and I couldn't keep affording to fly back and forth. Since he is gone, I've felt I need to stay here for my elderly mother. I plan on going back for my younger daughter's wedding, and hope to move back there some day in the future. My children are there, my two grandchildren, and my heart. I am not a religously observent person, but Israel gets under your skin and deep into your heart

For all Abrahamic faiths Israel is a place where there are many important (historical) sites and theist or atheist alike the surroundings are simply lovely.

Did you visit Israel and do you have stories to share, what made you go there, what was your impression?

I visited Israel twice and both visits were very memorable.

I remember meeting my later girlfriend biking through Israel, I remember this guy who was about to make a big decision and he wanted to get inspiration from God by climbing both mount Carmel in the north and mount Sinai in the south. I remember seeing the awful face of racism, or getting stuck because of a bomb threat.

My favorite locations are the Dead Sea area, tranquil, colorful and the lovely Galilee area And going on a bus to climb the 'seven' mountains of Jerusalem is also very nice.

The closest I got was Aqaba, Jordan and the Gulf of Aqaba (or Gulf of Eilat, depending on your perspective). Interesting border there with Israel. Good food. People were nice. View of the Mt. Sinai and the Penninsula was spectacular. The water is unique and beautiful, and the countless old ship wrecks there only add to the historic flavor of the area. I have pictures of it all, somewhere in the garage.....

I remember travelling up the Red Sea to get there. Lots of interesting stories and memories.. Would not want to go there today.

Closest I have come is Riyadh. A good friend of mine is a retired Israeli Major and swears I am not missing anything.

I've been there. Saw public "justice" there, too. They practice eye-for-an-eye, tooth-for-a-tooth there. Saw stuff I wish I had not. That was back in the day; I'd likley not be tolerated there now....

• Amulet locked this topic