Today I Met The Power Arangers

BpCorey

There are a couple of different home organization companies that also go by that name. I guess that sounds better than Help for Hoarders.

~ Kill a Watt???

{ But I don't wanna! :cray: }

I remember the slogan in fifth grade: Death to the metric system! Kill a meter, kill a litre and kill a gram today!

Lucky you. Now they can directly control and ration your power usage. They also make power outlets that can automatically eject plugs, which is great for alarm clocks.

I can see many instances where such a device could prove harmful, but how would it be helpful except maybe during power surges.

What will they think of next? I've seen locking receptacles, but I've yet to see these "ejectors". I'd say, if they are intended for home usage, they are designed for added safety and perform a function (maybe over-current or arc fault?) that could save both lives and property.

Edited by Songster

• Administrator

What will they think of next? I've seen locking receptacles, but I've yet to see these "ejectors". I'd say, if they are intended for home usage, they are designed for added safety and perform a function (maybe over-current or arc fault?) that could save both lives and property.

Every modern fire apparatus has them. You plug in an extension cord to make sure the batteries stay charged. As soon as you turn the key on it ejects the external power. I have seen them not work...

Please expand on your explanation of these "fire apparatus". I am aware that most battery operated machines posses internal auto-transfer devices that insure that components are never exposed to both sources of power. I have never seen one "eject" the main power source.

• Administrator

Please expand on your explanation of these "fire apparatus". I am aware that most battery operated machines posses internal auto-transfer devices that insure that components are never exposed to both sources of power. I have never seen one "eject" the main power source.

Not much to explain. I have not seen any use for any ejector in a home setting. Take a fire apparatus which would recognize as a typical fire engine. It has an external power connection that looks like a male end of an extension cord. We plug in the female end of an extension cord to ensure that the batteries are always fully charged. But, we obviously do not want to jump in the truck and run out of the station, lights and sirens blaring, dragging an extension cord behind us ripped in half at the 20 foot mark. Therefore, the trucks have ejectors on the external power plugs to automatically eject the power cord when the ignition is turned on.

Is that enough of an explanation for you? As I said, not much use in a home setting, but I have seen them in industrial settings.

~ That's an elegant way to ensure human error isn't involved in an "Ooops!"

Thank you for the explanation md :)

~ They're installing 'smart meters' in Reno, section by section now.

What I understand is they monitor the usage by time & amount to clarify billage so if you choose to spread the payment over a year rather than monthly it's easier.

Installation costs, but if you have solar panels or such it's more efficient.

I could of course be confusing something for another... I'm quite capable of that! :lol:

... Lot of older areas around peeved they're getting meters at all... { " I can't afford to keep my pond if I have to pay for the water myself!" :dntknw: }