Which Is More Important

Man generally changes his environment in order to adapt to the greater environment. Man moves to a cold climate and builds a warm shelter which becomes his home environment indicating he has changed his environment. When man leaves his home and ventures into the elements, he wears proper clothing which indicates he has adapted to the environment.

The ability to adapt to the environment or the ability to change the environment. Why?

Whichever is more effective and efficient. You don't raise the temperature of the environment to make a cup of coffee.

It does seem though that when one does not have control over oneself, one seeks to control the world instead.

Both and neither. It depends upon the instance in which one examines it. Take our species, for example. We have both evolved and adapted(separate things) so that we can now modify our environments. Had we not done one, we could not do the other. I think at some point we will override evolution and have intelligent design(with our species as designers), but that would not have been possible without evolving and adapting to the world around us.

The ablity to adapt to the environment or the ability to change the environment. Why?

IMO, Man's ability to manipulate his surroundings to manufacture structures suitable to withstand hostile environments establishes the supremacy of "adapt to the environment" over "change the environment".

Edited by Songster

I've had to do both in my life on a personal, microcosmic level.

As a whole global society though, through pollution and overpopulation, we have effectively changed the environment (i.e.; global warming) and not necessarily for the better. I recently read an article in a magazine at the doctor's office that claimed just the body heat of 7 billion people is being looked at as a contributing factor to global warming. Something in the range of approximately 1/10th of 1 degree Fahrenheit. Not that this will effect any great change by itself, but combined with other elements of global warming debacles and we're doomed! :unsure:

On another angle, just because we can change our environment does not mean we should. Personally, I believe adaptation to rather than changing of the environment, is far more acceptable of a human endeavor.....and, me thinks we be smart enough to be able to do it.

Blessings of Peace,