I do have an opinion - there is little or no difference between religion and politics. Both are "beliefs" held near and dear to the heart, and any questioning of these beliefs is frequently taken as a personal attack.

Spirituality is something else entirely.

Peace.

Rev.John

What is the difference between politics and religion?

~ While I agree with John, political parties don't seem to have the sustainability of a religion generally.

Religions do tend to carry a much stronger emotional day-to-day & life-long attachment than political parties for most.

... Of course that varies depending upon the individual ;) Humans are variable, aren't they ?

:dntknw:

"In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia. The very concept of objective truth is fading out of the world. Lies will pass into history.” – George Orwell

If an answer is a matter of fact, then by definition it cannot be wrong.
By definition, a matter of fact is one where there is a right and a wrong, while a matter of opinion is one where there is no right or wrong. If I say that my shoes weigh 20 pounds, it would be both a matter of fact and wrong. Edited by mererdog

By definition, a matter of fact is one where there is a right and a wrong, while a matter of opinion is one where there is no right or wrong. If I say that my shoes weigh 20 pounds, it would be both a matter of fact and wrong.

That you said your shoes weigh 20 pounds is indeed a fact. That they actually weigh 20 pounds may or may not be a fact.

What is the difference between politics and religion? Is your answer to that question a matter of fact, or a matter of opinion? If it is a matter of fact, is it possible that your answer was wrong?

I suppose for some spirituality is all OK as long as it does not intend to change or criticize the world, then it is a problem and called political.

~ While I agree with John, political parties don't seem to have the sustainability of a religion generally.
I would think that a religion would be more appropriately compared to a political philosophy, whereas a political party would more appropriately be compared to a church. The one set being things people believe in, and the other being groups people belong to. Does that seem too nitpicky?
I suppose for some spirituality is all OK as long as it does not intend to change or criticize the world, then it is a problem and called political.
I see that. To further complicate things, there is an odd legal difference between a church warning its member's about the dangers of voting for some specific legislation and a church warning its members about the dangers of voting for a candidate who plans to enact the same legislation...

Is that pejorative use of the word politics the only difference you see between politics and religion?

I see a smilarity between most churches and political parties. They are very ambitious, they desire power, and they interfere with the best interests of the population.

My understanding of religion is related to Church or political parties. I understand religion to be a search for inner meaning. I do not use my religious understanding for political purpose.

Hermano Luis

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding of religion is related to Church or political parties. I understand religion to be a search for inner meaning. I do not use my religious understanding for political purpose.

Hermano Luis

Luis if you are true to your faith and belief system how can your political purposes not be a direct reflection of your religious or spiritual beliefs?

What is the difference between politics and religion? Is your answer to that question a matter of fact, or a matter of opinion? If it is a matter of fact, is it possible that your answer was wrong?

It is my opinion that politics is religion. At least people put their faith into it without proof or understanding. Generally, people join a political party the way they join a church. They can't stand thinking they made a mistake and they won't change parties -- regardless of the facts. In addition, people tend to join the party that their parents belong too; also without question.

:)

Q: What is the difference between politics and religion ?

A: One shouldn't be discussed in church, and the other shouldn't be discussed at the dinner table.

Q: Is your answer to that question a matter of fact, or a matter of opinion?

A: Yes, absolutely...... in fact it is both... or to be more precise... it fluctuates between the two.

Q: If it is a matter of. fact, is it possible that your answer was wrong?

A: No, not really.

.....Possibility barely enters into the calculus. When I am fluctuating in the "fact" direction

.....(as opposed to the "opinion" direction), it is a near certainty that I am "wrong".

Edited by Hexalpa

In my opinion, the factual difference is that religion is comprised of opinion as to fact, and politics is comprised of opinion as to policy.

For instance, it is a religious question as to what is the difference between politics and religion.

It is a political question what policys should be in effect regarding the difference between politics and religion.

Or, it is a religious question which text editor is better, Vi, or Emacs.

It is a political question which text editor a software house will use, Vi or Emacs.

• Amulet locked this topic