Man To Sue The Baptist Church.

Pete

Did he read one of my posts where I would like to file a class action lawsuit against every church that advertises the Bible as the perfect inerrant word of God and collects tithes based on those teachings.

He would have a tough time proving it ruined whatever career he may have had, but he may just have a case about the psychological damage. Thanks for posting this Pete and if you hear more about this please keep me updated.

Might give me the confidence to go ahead with my lawsuit against the churches I attended and payed tithes to. I would have little trouble proving psychological damage :Jumpy:

I doubt he can prove it ruined his football career but I think he may win on having psychological damage. I think I could win on that one.

I have often wondered if someone could sue a church, demanding that the bible is without error, under the trade discription laws or false advertising in the UK. However I notice most who actually sell the bible do not claim it is inerrant.

If I hear about the result of his case I will let you know.

Edited by Pete

I was just also thinking that being successful in such a law suit would entail intent. If the people proclaimed the Bible was perfect out of ignorance from past programming and did not maliciously set out to cause anyone harm or gain their money then I'm thinking the suit would fail.

One might have to prove the people who made such claims knew and intended to receive money from the congregation under that guise.

Darn it!!!! :)

Edited by Fawzo

It maybe a law but it is not always easy to use. The law in the UK seems (IMO) to work for the poor who get legal aid and the very rich who can afford lawyers. People in the middle who are working but do not get paid enough for legal fees often do not get represented well (IMO). However, in the area of claiming damages there are a some lawyers who will take your case on in a "no win then no fee" basis. One then has to make sure that what you win will pay the lawyer.

This guy if he does not win could end up with the court fees. So one has to think very carefully about using the law. That said, I suspect if he does win then the flood gates will be open.

What a crock of carp crap! If this makes it to court, I hope the judge fines the "footballer" for the court costs, orders him to pay the church's lawyers, and the church counter sues for slander and defamation.

Edited by Songster

What a crock of carp crap! If this makes it to court, I hope the judge fines the "footballer" for the court costs, orders him to pay the church's lawyers, and the church counter sues for slander and defamation.

You may get your wish as I do not think he can prove he did not give his money voluntarily and I do not think he can prove he would of been a great footballer. That said he may win on the case of psychological damage.

Thinking about it, If those who said that my getting poliomylites at the age two was the fault of my parents because they did not have enough faith were alive today I would seriously think of taking out an action of my own. I am sure there was a lot of psychological damage caused to me as a child. Thank God we can grow out of such things.

Edited by Pete

It's crap to sue an organization that makes false claims it repeatedly fails to deliver? It's crap to sue an organization that uses threats of torture and and agony as a part of its recruitment effort? Personally I hope he wins and it leads to multiple other suits like it. Every former Christian should sue.

It's crap to sue an organization that makes false claims it repeatedly fails to deliver?

Your opinion only.

It's crap to sue an organization that uses threats of torture and and agony as a part of its recruitment effort?

Which sect, when, and where?

Your opinion only.

Hey, by all means, if you can demonstrate a heaven exists I'll be glad to retract the statement. If you can demonstrate human immortality exists, I'd be happy to retract my statement. If you can demonstrate a god exists, I'll be happy to retract my statement. If you can demonstrate Jesus ever existed, I'd be happy to retract my statement. But as it stands, you're asking us to all make-believe the belief structure has some validity which has never been demonstrated. Theism is snake-oil.

Which sect, when, and where?

Any sect of the cult which promotes a hell at any time it has promoted it as a place anyone gets sent to for not accepting the cult's teachings.

• 3 weeks later...

err...maybe this is just a synatx thing, but there's no such thing as a "The Baptist Church." The are baptist churches but a central tennet of the baptist doctrine is that there is no higher ecclesiastical authority than the local church. Hence, there is no denomination...only fellowships, conventions, and associations but no centralized authority. The correct title should have been "Man Sues A Baptist Church."

I think this man has an uphill fight on the point of psychological damage. It is not enough to prove he is damaged. He must prove that there is a specific source of that damage.

If I want to say that smoking has damaged my lungs -- and it turns out that I have long term exposure to other things that are toxic to my lungs -- like asbestos -- or gas fumes -- a court case is greatly complicated. If this man has other elements in his life that gave him emotional damage, the church could be off the hook. He has to prove that only the church damaged his emotions. Or demonstrate a percentage of harm. That could be tough.

There is also the element of coercion. He had to tithe? The church forced him? He could have quit the church. That makes the payment "voluntary."

• Amulet locked this topic