Our Police Force What Is Going On?

Hyper Real

Based on studies going way back, (Zimbardo, Stanford) this "people's police force" that you suggest would most probably end up looking exactly like the current lot - and with the same percentage of individuals who would abuse their power and visit atrocity on the very people they were sworn to protect.

I have met some really creepy officers, and some with the kindness and the patience of Job. And while one might wonder why anyone would choose to "enforce the law", many do so with the highest level of integrity. My father was one of them.

There is no negating that there are terrible miscarriges of justice, but I believe it is always bad form to paint "all" with such a broad brush. Did I miss something?

I'm not adverse to a certain level of anarchy, but what exactly, are you proposing?

What I think we need is a people's police force not some neo-fascists organization which thinks it can step on anything without retribution.

I think, hyper, that it is exceedingly rare for an entire organization (an entire police department, or P.D.) to behave in such fashion. Granted, it is possible, if those individuals at the top of a P.D. embrace such an attitude, but even in such cases, a few "good" officers will get recruited, if only by accident). More likely is that certain individual officers (or a squad) will exhibit such fascist behavior. The problem always comes down to "individual human beings" (sometimes in "key" positions) who lack the necessary moral integrity to uphold the law without bias or prejudice, and without unnecessary "force".

What we really need (IF indeed we really need such a thing.... which I doubt), is a P.D. without humans in it. :jest:

I have just recently had contact with a retired police officer. The stories that he has been telling me are shocking and disturbing. For some odd reason I disliked the guy even before I actually talked to him or knew he was a cop, but now I really have a dislike for him.

I think, hyper, that it is exceedingly rare for an entire organization (an entire police department, or P.D.) to behave in such fashion. Granted, it is possible, if those individuals at the top of a P.D. embrace such an attitude, but even in such cases, a few "good" officers will get recruited, if only by accident). More likely is that certain individual officers (or a squad) will exhibit such fascist behavior. The problem always comes down to "individual human beings" (sometimes in "key" positions) who lack the necessary moral integrity to uphold the law without bias or prejudice, and without unnecessary "force".

What we really need (IF indeed we really need such a thing.... which I doubt), is a P.D. without humans in it. :jest:

:kick::clap: Give me a "R"...Give me an "O"...Give me a "B"...Give me an "O"........give me a yaaaay Robocop!!! :clap2::kick:

...or wait, was that "R"...A"...? huh, oh :shy: oops that's the RaboBank, isn't it?

Eh, PD's, banks... crooks in a lot of 'em, but you're ever so correct Hex, certainly not all.

Ya know, I realize we live in "Smallville", California (pop. 25k) but most of our cops are really great people and 'protect and serve' equally, regardless who needs their assistance. Yes, there are two/three with notorious reputations that gang members around here despise, but most of the rest of us are willing to sorta "look over the other way" when certain things get out of hand. I do not wish to deny everyone, criminals included, their Right to fair council and trial. However, on occasion the rules need to be bent a bit in order to get Justice and every now and then a little extra vim and vigor needs to be put into an arrest.

The "Bulldogs", "Negros Manos" and "Crips"...all gangs, have members they have financed through college and law school so they have active, bar passed attorneys, in gang colors showing up at bail hearings and during criminal trials. If it's okay for the criminals to actively seek better representation, then I'm all for law enforcement having to extend a little stiffer arm in meting out justice...in some cases that merit it.

Unfortunately, the "article/advertisement" for tasers used in this linked example is going to slant things a bit and uses very old news to qualify its product. In the other case cited was it the Seattle cops or witnesses pointing out the wrong individual that did the "wrong" here? The other thing that is not reported about Mr. Lee was prior police contacts, gang affiliation and prior record of being difficult to apprehend and/or control (if any). It is very common around here for gang members to deliberately act up and not comply with officers as to create a situation of "brutality" to focus legit arrests elsewhere.

All I know is that long ago in my past, when being in (hand)cuffs was more frequent than having cuffs on suit pants, like now, it all depended 100% on MY attitude as to how I was treated. The only time I was ever shown even the least bit of discourtesy was a night I'd rather forget. Shall we just say that "Herr Jaeger" was most certainly the meister that night!?! :shy:

Every story has multiple facets to it and never forget there are 3 sides to every coin!

Since my wild and crazy days, when pulled over for perceived traffic violations or civil contact with cops for reported issues or questioned concerning other's calls, I have always been treated (except for once, on Maui - long story and not cops fault) with the utmost respect and dignified responses from law enforcement....even being a long haired, jean wearin', tattooed out individual that I am.

Blessings of Peace,

~ We lived in Canyon Country California. A newly manufacture city, Valencia, went up abutting. Big money community, developers hired a new police force.

Very aggressive on getting that 'One of the safest communities' badge. Yay.

Had some neighbours that spiraled waaay out of control in our house & wouldn't stop, called 911. They were there quick :)

I explained the situation & the officers removed them & everything was cool until the one officer came up to me, in front of my husband & said,

"When you want to dump him & this crap, give me a call" & dropped his card down my top... My husband called in & made a complaint.

... Seriously bad berries from then on!!! He was pulled-over & hand-cuffed on the curb & vehicle searched at least 3 times a day!

Yes, three times a day! This went on for over a year until we moved.

The neighbours would tease, " Yo! What ya got donuts in your trunk?" while it was being searched...

No tickets issued, no reason given.

The courthouse there was a joke. Our son was arrested for drugs { he's a 'junior', thought for a while they were after him,

but come on, same cops over & over & over? Buddies are as buddies do, right?}

Anyway, the judge was so drunk in the afternoon, he couldn't read the paperwork & fell asleep at the desk.

In the morning he was just nasty with a hangover...

Developers own the land & the taxes & the local legal system. Like I said, Yay.

:D This you'll like! We were camping at the beach when our son & his 'gangster' friends showed up.

Already a rowdy bunch next site, noticed the big bong & cases of Jack, the young men partied all night by camp-fire light with the rowdies.

My husband got up early & cranked-out enough food for all, which was good...

By morning's light the 'rowdies' were the sherrifs that had been stalking all those gangsters & they all just huddled-up, agreed not to mention. :lol:

{ Y'know fresh coffee & sausage sandwiches helped ;) }