Smoking When Children Are Present

Hyper Real

What is your opinion of smoking when children are present.

For instance in California it is against the law to drive a car and smoke while children are present. However currently people cannot be stopped just for that offense and tickets can only be given if the driver was stopped for another reason.

What's your opinion?

I still smoke cigarettes/(cigars- outside or garage only) and unfortunately for Kay and me, quitting has been disastrous. We have cut way down, but that final step just seems impossible, however we're on to a new approach and have high hopes.

When I have anyone (excluding another smoker) in my car, I do not smoke. Never did with kids in the car at any time, even when it was still "acceptable", but I also know few other parents ever thought that way. We have both been rather cautious and courteous smokers all our lives and really are offended when other smokers make light of the situation. We either go elsewhere or have two fans going to keep the smoke away from our furry kids too. We're going to do the outside smoking only trick come spring, which is really only days away so we need to wrap our heads around that now too.

What a person does to themselves is one thing, that is a choice, but inflicting it on others is out of line, in my "Big Book of Personal and Social Etiquette"!

I am firmly against seat-belt and helmet laws for adults, but fully and wholly support car seat and bicycle helmet laws for kids.

Blessings of Peace,

In my location it is legally to smoke and drive with kids on the car and its a primary offense (stoppable just for that). My wife smokes and is only allowed to do so outside of the house and not in the cars (regardless if the kids are in the car or not). Even my in-laws go outside (in thier own house) if kids are around.

Politeness tells me that smoking should be away from other people but I firmly believe that the owner or manager of a building makes the rules for that building.

If a restaurant wants to allow smoking it should be ok and people who don't like it should stay right the hells away.

Smoking is one of the most stupid things I have ever done but it was totally my choice and my choice to stop.

Kids are people also, some just have't grown their bodies yet.

~ Never smoke in the car or house when the grandbabes are around or going to be around.

{ Not totally true. When it's below freezing we go in the back bathroom & run the fan, have a half & close the doors. }

Baby lungs, my stupid choice, they're not going to get polluted by it!

Ugh, I remember driving the 3 hrs to my Gramma's house in the back seat of a 65 Mustang { yes, I KNOW! Not really much backseat...}

& my father smoking cigars & listening to baseball on the radio. Me barfing in a bowl. Still dislike baseball announcers :( { Do they clone them or something? }