Being Well-Mannered

Hyper Real

Eating with your left hand is forbidden in the Koran and is deemed haraam. You stated that you thought it was a middle eastern culture thing, which it isn't. This would be the same as saying that keeping kosher is only something for Israelis rather then all those of the Jewish faith.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember meeting with a Cambodian family for the first time to start Intervention services for their youngest son. As the team assembled at about eight a.m., the Grandmother began bringing out trays laden with food (despite the fact that they were VERY poor)

We assembled on the living room floor and enjoyed an amazing (if unfamiliar) feast that morning. What a high honor and welcome they gave us.

Dining with my Persian in laws is quite a raucous and interesting event - perfectly acceptable (encouraged) to eat with one's (right) hand and to pass on seconds an insult to the cook (which I learned the hard way...)

Being sensitive to cultural nuances and differences enhances our experience....

to our own rules around table manners, I can still hear my parents directives around rhe table and would feel strange slurping soup or sitting with my elbows on the table....

I remember meeting with a Cambodian family for the first time to start Intervention services for their youngest son. As the team assembled at about eight a.m., the Grandmother began bringing out trays laden with food (despite the fact that they were VERY poor)

We assembled on the living room floor and enjoyed an amazing (if unfamiliar) feast that morning. What a high honor and welcome they gave us.

Dining with my Persian in laws is quite a raucous and interesting event - perfectly acceptable (encouraged) to eat with one's (right) hand and to pass on seconds an insult to the cook (which I learned the hard way...)

Being sensitive to cultural nuances and differences enhances our experience....

to our own rules around table manners, I can still hear my parents directives around rhe table and would feel strange slurping soup or sitting with my elbows on the table....

good thing is not a religion when you say thank you with a belch and a fart.

Klingon Buffet!

• 1 month later...

how important is it to you,

Very.

and how do you think does it tie in with raising your children?

Very much so. Critical in establishing standards and discipline. One of the points of parenting is to make humans prepared to be good adults. Raising undisciplined animals, as is so often the case these days, provides no positive value to society, and only creates a drag on the community and governments (and thus, tax payers and the economy) who are left to deal with it.