Taxes And Religious Institutions

Really excellent points, people. You are really helping me think.

I am rapidly coming to the idea that my religion and my politics are one. I thought they were separate, like the separation of church and state in our America.

The difference in my personal religion and many mainstream religions is, I don't believe in forcing my values and beliefs into law that must be followed by all others.

Or do I? The things I advocate should become law are indeed from my philosophy, which really means my religious beliefs.

I used to object to religions that insist on merging church and state. Now I think I do the same thing.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference in my personal religion and many mainstream religions is, I don't believe in forcing my values and beliefs into law that must be followed by all others.

And many share your viewpoint.

I used to have that viewpoint but no longer.

I believe for a democracy to work citizens should be involved in the political system.

I am not talking about congress or the house but local politics. Many cities are looking for people to join the city council or numerous committees, you can have your voice heard about public utilities or city planning, and of course the school system.

And you can always contact your house representative or senator, in my experience they are very open to hear your ideas.

I do not very much believe in activism, although I often sympathize with good causes.

But to let your ideas and voice known I believe is key to a democracy.

Edited by hyperreal

That's an interesting belief that you have there.

But I happen to know that you are incorrect, as I am a corporate officer in a Church that is a regular corporation,

incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio, and we are NOT tax exempt at the federal level, and never have been.

We didn't request anything.

We didn't get any "pre-determination".

We simply chose not to request Section 501 © (3) status.

(One has to request that status)

We chose not to make that request because of our preference for unfettered free speech.

Contrary to your claim, tax-exempt status is NOT automatic.

No no, that is an interesting BELIEF you have. Mine is fact and thus not an opinion... It is kinda scary if you are an officer in a church that doesn't have a handle on basic IRS procedures.

Churches that meet the requirements of IRC section

501©(3) are automatically considered tax exempt and

are not required to apply for and obtain recognition of

tax-exempt status from the IRS.

Source: The IRS of course...http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf page 3

"Churches that meet the requirements of IRC section 501©(3) are automatically considered tax exempt

and are not required to apply for and obtain recognition of tax-exempt status from the IRS"

You are technically correct, and I am technically wrong.

For me, the significant portion of your source-information is the portion that says "that meet the requirements of 501 © (3)"...

If you never claim to meet those requirements, then you are not automatically included. . So , rather than it being a matter of requesting tax exempt status, it appears to be a matter of claiming entitlement to that status by "stating that your organization meets the criteria".

Nevertheless, the Church which I serve as a corporate officer has never held tax exempt status simply because we have never "claimed entitlement" to it. We are not tax-exempt at the federal level simply because have never "told the government" that we meet the requirements of 501 © (3) [and we DO meet them]. So, from our point-of-view, such status "is not automatic" in the normal sense of that word. But I do thank you for that technical reference (Source: The IRS of course...http://www.irs.gov/p...s-pdf/p1828.pdf page 3 ) which does say "automatic" quite clearly.

Edited by Hexalpa

I would like to have a conversation about religious institutions and taxes.

Do you think churches should start to pay taxes?

Opinions?

Yes. Churches should pay taxes. They provide a service. They are paid for the service. They hire and fire staff. They give raises to said staff. They often promote over-paid administrators by the same numbers and criteria as a business (bring in lots of new members and we'll give you a raise for doing so or move you to a juicier or more prestigious assignment) - and on occasion that the preachers is able to up the tithe brought in - it translates to correlating raises of salary. (That is not speculation as in at least two instances I was in a position to know that is a fact.) And after retiring the debt on their initial building - they have excess to invest for years into the future. By passing the need to assist the starving of the world in the here and now. People literally starve while churches amass millions for someday in the future to expand and do good - THEN.

Since this is a thread about opinion as opposed to law - it is my opinion that far too many churches aspire to influence politics and use church funds one way or another to hammer their agenda home. That agenda is about wielding power and installing their specific dogma as law as opposed to addressing issues of human suffering. And I have no problem with them being taxed right along with every other money making business.

Churches and charities do many good things. One of the things they do exceedingly well is make money. They have to do that - it is the nature of the beast.

So the question is how to they use that money. The misuses of the funds even by smaller churches is widespread. As best I understand it - Jesus did not suggest that we build crystal cathedrals to honor his father. And by example - Jesus preached outside - on hillsides etc. A great way to reduce the abuse is to limit the excess funds available. Tightening the budget leads to more careful administration or craftier ways to abuse the funds. I would like to think more carful allocations would happen more often than better scams.

I see some practicality for an enclosed climate controlled building. I do not see the need for the dollars spent beyond creature comforts. Spirituality can and does happen sans luxury. The world over. In many religions.

Some of the most profound and inspirational spiritual lessons have grown from the remote, from the depressed, from the diseased and from the very simple and plain.

But that is just one opinion. I defer to the likelihood that majority rule will probably never see things the way I do. And even if they did - the majority would not likely work to change things. Frequently, I am not in the majority. And I am okay with that.

Von

• Amulet locked this topic