Random Talk With Friend

I just got off the phone with an old church friend of mine. I'm not sure if I'm feeling righteous anger or if I'm just as she says I am and that I'm just irritated about it.

She's a Messianic woman and she firmly believes that anyone who does not believe in the Bible or in Jesus or in God is morally bankrupt/decayed. She even referred me to this website by Ron Wyatt(who made some cool discoveries). She even told me that there is only one God and if you believe in a God different than the Jewish/Christian God that your god is dead because they died with Buddha/Mohammed/Lao-Tzu.

Okay, I love her and all but I got an earful yesterday from another friend of mine who is new Christian is very hyperactive about what she believes in. She knows what I believe in and I wouldn't put it past her that within a week or so she's going to call me a devil-worshipper and is going to try to "show" me(because in her words "telling" simply isn't enough, it's by example..when really she's just telling anyway lol) that Jesus is only answer and that everything else is Satan.

I have no problems with Christians. It's just I feel some kind of anger for the fact that there is no respect for other beliefs in these particular people's minds.

I'm simply writing this because I felt like I needed to vent some. You don't have to reply, just listen.

I wish more people were accepting and loving as we are here at the ULC. We're all children from the same Universal Source, right?

Yeah, I'm getting a headache from absorbing all that energy. I think I'm gonna eat something sweet for now..

*ick*

So sorry you have to deal with that. I love being a Christian because it works for me, but I draw the line at trying to drag others down my path. I have always had the personal compass that I will live as I do and believe as I am called, and I am happy to discuss with those who wish to do so, but I allow others to belive as they will. If my path is so great that someone wishes to follow, that is their choice. They are free to walk the same path, or another. There is more than one route on this journey called life.

welcome to the world of human beings.sometimes they can be a great bunch.

i have"christians"who are at me all the time because i don't believe in their god.frankly,i don't believe in any god,period,but that is another point.i have tried to politely explain this to them,and then i have had to end the conversation less politely than i would like.here on the forum,we all have the same"belief;while i may not agree with yours,you have a right to follow it as you deem correct".

your"friends"are not going to accept that and will do everything they think is right to change you.you have to decide whether distance might be a good thing from them,or be ready to put up with their lectures everytime you see them.

i have lost some friends that way,but made many more based on a mutual acceptance.

Edited by mark 45

Chief Tecumseh once said, "Trouble no one about their religion; respect them in their view, and demand that they respect yours." I think that is a good wisdom to share with one another. When religions are used as weapons to diminish any living thing, then I believe that religion has fallen short of its intended purpose. The same thing applies to science and atheism, IMO.

Being converted to Christianity is like, in a poor comparison, getting a new gadget. You have to go tell everyone how great it is and what it can do. When you have an epiphany of one type or another, you want to share. I enjoy the exhuberance of new Christians.

It is the Christians who have been around a while and have not matured nor learned anything that get to me. I was one of them for a long time. Ex-smokers are worse, IMO, as trying to get others to quit. Folks have to realize when they become Christians that does not make them ex-sinners. Peace.

PS: This subject is being moved to the appropriate topic area.

Edited by RevRainbow

I think you are feeling some resentment at being judged by someone you care about. Bear in mind, however, that your friend would not be so emphatic (right now) if there was not a concern for you also on her part. Try not to be angry, but always be honest in how you feel.

She's a Messianic woman and she firmly believes that anyone who does not believe in the Bible or in Jesus or in God is morally bankrupt/decayed. She even referred me to this website by Ron Wyatt(who made some cool discoveries). She even told me that there is only one God and if you believe in a God different than the Jewish/Christian God that your god is dead because they died with Buddha/Mohammed/Lao-Tzu.

OK, it seems she has strong beliefs and likes to express her beliefs.

Okay, I love her and all but I got an earful yesterday from another friend of mine who is new Christian is very hyperactive about what she believes in. She knows what I believe in and I wouldn't put it past her that within a week or so she's going to call me a devil-worshipper and is going to try to "show" me(because in her words "telling" simply isn't enough, it's by example..when really she's just telling anyway lol) that Jesus is only answer and that everything else is Satan.

I would try to see it in perspective, she has beliefs and likes to talk about it, she also feels urged to save you.

I have no problems with Christians. It's just I feel some kind of anger for the fact that there is no respect for other beliefs in these particular people's minds.

I think it is a little the nature of the beast, one cannot simply have two conflicting beliefs at the same time.

Why not try to be a bit more phlegmatic about it:

"OK, so you believe I go to hell. Thanks for expressing this, I understand you say this out of concern for my well-being, I thank you for that! But allow me to respectfully disagree and have a different belief than you have. I am sure you would agree with me that we should all have the right to believe what we believe and that others should respect that."

If after that she still keeps harping, I would suggest evaluating if you still want to be her friend.

Edited by hyperreal

I think that Hyper's post contains sound advice. ( ".... I understand you say this out of concern for my well-being, I thank you for that! But allow me to respectfully disagree and have a different belief than you have.") She may not hear you the first dozen times, but if she's a friend you want to keep, give her time to come down off the cloud she's walking on. I remember well the enthusiasm I felt when I was "Saved." I felt like shouting from the hill-tops! I wanted everybody to share the same joy that I had found, and I went out of my way to tell friends, relatives, and strangers about Him. My ardor made many of them uncomfortable, and it turned many of my "fast friends" into strangers. One day, one of them told me, "Going to Hell may not be so bad. At least I won't be bothered by you everyday!" My ardor for my new found religion had turned me into a "Bore." Give her time, and may God bless you both!

Edited by Songster

~ Relationships change all the time... it's getting through those changes with patience that strengthens them.

& yeah, sometimes relationships don't withstand those changes so well :(

All I can suggest is listening { ya don't have to actually 'hear', like with a 3-yr old, ya nod & say "Uh-huh" a lot.They feel validated & you don't go crazy ;) }.

Let this 'enthusiasm' as our Christian friends here called it, perhaps calm

as you quietly remind them you're not interested in that belief system, but thanx for for the offer, etc. :dntknw:

It is concern for you that causes the such, but constant nagging for whatever reason will make ya testy, yes.

Hope you all get through this OK :)

• 2 weeks later...

Friendship is so important in my spiritual path. I have many Christian friends, yet they have never tried to convert me. I guess we value friendship above religion. Nevertheless we sometimes talk about religion without having the need to impose our views on the other. But when I meet someone who does not know what my religion is, I will not speak about religion. If the subject come up, I will simply listen. Silence is a wonderful companion.

Hermano Luis

• Amulet locked this topic