bluemound

As a matter of common sense, it is unwise to practice ANY type of counseling unless you are a trained and certified operative in whichever specialized area of counseling you are considering. Getting ordained does not confer any special skills on you, and acting in a way that would give others to believe that you DO have specialized skills in any area, is a good way to get sued.

Edited by Hexalpa

Obviously, however, that was not the question. I know some states authorize ministers to provide marital counseling, pre-marriage counseling and other forms of counseling providing it does not become clinical counseling. In other words, they can provide spiritual counseling without the need of further licensing. My question is simple to organize a domestic abuse "Support" group, not actually be a counselor. Just a place where people come together as a group and can talk.

Here is some homework for you.

https://docs.legis.w...tutes/895/I/441

specifically

Therapist" means a physician, psychologist, social worker, marriage and family therapist, professional counselor, nurse, chemical dependency counselor, member of the clergy or other person, whether or not licensed or certified by the state, who performs or purports to perform psychotherapy.

https://docs.legis.w...atutes/455/01/5

specifically:

(2m) Exceptions. A license under this chapter is not required for any of the following:

<snip>

(i) An ordained member of the clergy of any religious denomination or sect who is associated with a church, synagogue or other religious organization, contributions to which are tax deductible for federal and state income tax purposes, if the member of the clergy is engaged in activities that are within the scope of his or her regular duties as a member of the clergy and that are not rendered to the public for a fee over and above the salary or other compensation that the member of the clergy receives for the performance of his or her official duties as a member of the clergy with the church, synagogue or religious organization with which he or she is associated.

My question is this. Can, as an ordained minister, providing it does not go into a clinical area of counseling, preforming domestic abuse counseling, AA, NA or other style of support groups?

Anyone can start an AA or other 12-step related support group. The third tradition of AA is "The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking."

Here are the other 11 traditions:

1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority--a loving Goid as He may express himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

3. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or AA as a whole.

5. Each group has but one primary purpose--to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

6. An AA group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the AA name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

7. Ever AA group ought to be fully self supporting, declining outside contributions.

8. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.

9. AA, as such, ought never be organized; but we may crerate service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.

10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

11. Or public relation policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonym,ity at the level of press, radio and films.

12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditons, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

---"The Twelve Traditions" From the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous page 562, 4th edition

As far as Domestic violence, in most states one is required to complete a certain number of hours of training for certification. In Illinois and NM it is 40 full hours which must be completed, tested, and passed. I know this because I am a CDVC. Hope this helps.

You may also want to check out this course offered by ULCHQ

The Science of Understanding Life, SOUL clinic course, is a course in ministerial counseling. This course does not entitle you to be a State Certified Psychologist; it does qualify you as a religious counselor.

http://ulchqcom.ipower.com/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=50&osCsid=189c3c031559e460d2688a0c3ae9a08f

You may also want to check out this course offered by ULCHQ

The Science of Understanding Life, SOUL clinic course, is a course in ministerial counseling. This course does not entitle you to be a State Certified Psychologist; it does qualify you as a religious counselor.

http://ulchqcom.ipow...2688a0c3ae9a08f

Thanks for that referral, Dave.

I have not previously taken notice of that course! :thumbu:

when it comes to domestic violence groups,it is not something i would advise getting involved in without some training.there are alot of emotions that can come to the surface that you and the person experiencing them may not be ready for.and despite best intentions,that may not be the best thing for them.

spiritual counseling is sometimes best used to refer them to a licensed professional.this is not a lack of caring or a weakness,but sometimes in the persons best intrest.

You're welcome Hex, I was checking out the courses offered by hq a couple days ago.

I haven't taken the course so I can't speak to the curriculum but I would imagine after completing it one should have a grasp on whatever areas were covered in the material.

as a side note: I remember when I read Dianetics (Scientology) ... it was basically a book about how to conduct regression therapy. Psychology disguised as part of a religion thereby allowing them to practice psychology without a license. They call it "clear" and once you become "clear" you can then "clear" others ... although not all who are clear choose to clear others.

Worked pretty good ... I got my 16 yr old nephew (at the time) to go back to an event that happened when he was 2. Then I confirmed that the event took place through other sources. He had details that I don't think most people would remember about an event that happened a week ago.